Loadbox w. real loudspeaker drivers : Tube-Town Tone-Hound 8 Ohm / 100 W

OK thanks for the info.
At the end, the real question for me is "does the tonehound interact with your amp in a way that is closer to a real head+cab rig than a resistive loadbox ?", and it looks like you confirm that.

I hope you'll be able to push the master harder !

So you're using a selfbuild DI ?
And your config is like that ?
PA out > DI In > DI Out > DAW
______________ DI Thru > Tonehound

I'm not sure if the poweramp reacts really different with the tonehound or if it's only like using another EQ. But one thing is obviously. With resistive load i need a crazy post eq to get a good sound. With the tonehound i just need a cut around 500hz and a boost around 2,2k to get in this area.

I can push the master harder. i noticed the feedback only when using the Redeye as splitter for recording DI and playing through amp. it is also with resisitve load. so tonehound is not the reason. And it starts when power tubes getting in saturation. At the moment i have in my 5150 only 2 power tubes. So maybe when i use all 4 i dont have the feedback but i can't try it.

I build myself a resistive load with built in line out and additional speaker out .And i have a switch to choose between internal resistive load and real speaker out. Now i connected the tonehound to my additionaly speaker out.
So chain is 5150 speaker out -> selfbuild load

then i have 2 outputs at my load (while switched from internal load to speaker out):
line out -> audio interface
speaker out -> tonehound

i edited the last post because i exported a wrong file for tonehound sample and i added one for preamp to compare.

everyone likes the preamp..fuck! =D

Thanks for the explanation.
I still think the tonehound versions sounds better (more open and 3D), but I would dial the amp differently than you did for this samples (a lot more bass, a bit less highs).

For the preamp / poweramp thing, I don't know which poweramp Ryan used for s_preshigh, but in these tests you're drawing 2 poweramps sections concurrently (the one frome your amp, and the one from the IR).
It would be a fairer comparison to use a "transparent poweramp" IR, like Recabinet, or that thing with the poweramp section disabled.

Also, did you change the amp settings or did you use the same for each test (preamp, resistive load, tonehound) ?
Because it sounds like the settings are optimals for the resistive load configuration, and sounds unbalanced with tonehound as a result, due to the real HP load thing.

Thanks for the explanation.
I still think the tonehound versions sounds better (more open and 3D), but I would dial the amp differently than you did for this samples (a lot more bass, a bit less highs).

For the preamp / poweramp thing, I don't know which poweramp Ryan used for s_preshigh, but in these tests you're drawing 2 poweramps sections concurrently (the one frome your amp, and the one from the IR).
It would be a fairer comparison to use a "transparent poweramp" IR, like Recabinet, or that thing with the poweramp section disabled.

Also, did you change the amp settings or did you use the same for each test (preamp, resistive load, tonehound) ?
Because it sounds like the settings are optimals for the resistive load configuration, and sounds unbalanced with tonehound as a result, due to the real HP load thing.

+1 to that

-please use a "poweramp-free" IR
-you might need to EQ your amp a bit differently to suit the tonehound, i.e a tad more bass and a tad less highs at this volume
BUT raising the master volume on your amp might do that as well (master volume changes have a big impact on the tone balance)

For now, the "preamp out" clips suit the mixes better, and the tonehound clips sound a bit weird EQ-wise/unbalanced/filtered, but the "tonehound + EQ" clips are a big improvement over the regular tonehound (with no EQ) clips.

Thanks for having taken the time to do those tests ! And i hope you'll push it further (following our suggestions above) !

EDIT : listening to the single guitar tracks, the tonehound clips sound more "realistic" to my ears than the other ones, but they need some work (starting with amp EQ and master volume, and i guess using a power amp-free IR could help a lot too).

It sounds to me also more "3D" but i don't know if its only because of a different resulting EQ curve.

My ampsetting is always the same because this setting sounds the best while playing through a real cab. So i try to record that sound directly to my interface. I always used the preamp out, so i spent a lot of time tweaking the post EQ (in DAW) to have the best possible sound i can get out of it. Then 2 weeks ago i build my line out to have the poweramp in my chain. I tweaked the post EQ only a little bit to compensate the frequency difference. And now with the tonehound i did nothing in the first comparison clip. Only to hear the complete difference. And yes it seems that i have to tweak my post eq completely new and different than before. That needs still some time. The Highs are still to harsh and the bassrange could also optimised.

Your right, i didn't mind the poweramp printed in the IR. I should also try out some other IRs now. I will do it the next weeks. And i guess i won't sent the TH back. the resistive load gets to hot and i'm still using my amp only at half power^^ (2 of 4 tubes).

It sounds to me also more "3D" but i don't know if its only because of a different resulting EQ curve.

My ampsetting is always the same because this setting sounds the best while playing through a real cab. So i try to record that sound directly to my interface. I always used the preamp out, so i spent a lot of time tweaking the post EQ (in DAW) to have the best possible sound i can get out of it. Then 2 weeks ago i build my line out to have the poweramp in my chain. I tweaked the post EQ only a little bit to compensate the frequency difference. And now with the tonehound i did nothing in the first comparison clip. Only to hear the complete difference. And yes it seems that i have to tweak my post eq completely new and different than before. That needs still some time. The Highs are still to harsh and the bassrange could also optimised.

Your right, i didn't mind the poweramp printed in the IR. I should also try out some other IRs now. I will do it the next weeks. And i guess i won't sent the TH back. the resistive load gets to hot and i'm still using my amp only at half power^^ (2 of 4 tubes).

Yup, you have to keep in mind that setting your amp so that it sounds good through the cab is only a starting point, and then you have to adjust the amp settings so that it sounds good through the mic capturing that cab :)

You'll have better results tweaking the balance at the source (Amp EQ, cab/mic/IR...), than tweaking the EQ in the DAW.

What about the noise with the tonehound ?
Is it acceptable / improvable or still disturbing ?

When i set the master at 2/10 then the tonehound is quite silent. At 4/10 it's as loud as my pc speakers in evening. The TH stands at the same high as my ears..that's probably a negative factor but i haven't much space. If i could bury it behind other stuff like a sofa and put some blankets over it that would make it better. In terms of noise it isn't as nice as my resistive load. SO when playing at night i will still use my resistive load. The TH seems to be only for recording if i can't get it to be silet or in another place

OK thanks a lot !
I want one only for recording/reamping, and it will be placed under my desk against a wall (I plan to put some blankets or stuff like that between the TH and the wall), so I guess it will be perfect for this.
I'll use it with low wattage amps (15 and/or 50 watts -> Egnater Tweaker and/or EVH 5150III mini) so it will be a little bit better for the noise.
Can't wait to have my setup ready :D

ok and when your not reamping at 3 o'clock at night that shouldn't annoy you/anybody else.
Now, i want to try out some power amp free IR's. I just downloaded this Torpedo Free thing. What else you know that i could try and is available for free in the internet so canownload it instantly? Recabinet isn't free as i know. And i thought that it isn't poweramp free..
Well..all poweramp free IRs to me! =D

Excuse the maybe dumb and ignorant question but I am not very clear about this. Can this thing be used together with a real cab acting as an attenuator kind of thing like hotplate would? Or is this only useful if you have no speaker connected?

No, it just take care of the load, so useless for attenuate anything.

Red Phoenix, I see Redwire IR's are supposed to be flat regarding poweramp (I quote their website : "Cabs powered w/ Bryston 4B, known for flat freq. response, ample power and low distortion ").
But they're not free.

Everytime you use a free IR, you'll have to find if they powered their cab with a guitar amp PA, or with a flat/neutral transistor PA.
At the moment, I don't know any free IR like that (except the Torpedo) but I think their are a few ones available (maybe GuitarHack IRs ? I don't know what his setup was.)