power/ goth metal guitar sound

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
I am heaving hard time of getting nice guitar sound for goth heavy style. on e tune. there arent many references availble.. Can anyone share some raw guitar tracks for reference?? i am specially having hard time with low end and gain. since its less heavy than usual..

here it is.. guitars are quite raw.. but i dont know why, something just doesnt feet..

Last edited by a moderator:
The new one is much better! I suggest adding a gate to catch some of the string noise, which might take the "raw" feel from it and make it seem more polished.

i find it miles away from something like this -

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1zkXdqcajk&feature=relmfu[/ame]

i cant understand whats driving the song actually and the guitars seems muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh clearer

Maybe the playing needs to be tighter on yours? Because as I said, there is some string noise from muting that sounds a little sloppy. But all I can hear from my laptop speakers right now is just a different kind of midrange from the amp or guitar (the Sonata Arctica guitars sound like they have some more of that 2.5k-40k range that some people love, some hate on this forum). How high are you high passing yours?

And the thing is, you may simply need to try micing the guitars differently, either in a different place on the speakers, with a different mic, or a mix of the two (blending say a dynamic and a condenser)

Yes i agree it should be tighter... My sound cuts but itd kinda muddy, also the mix might suck balls. i will be glad if you can listen to it on monitors..

Listening on my monitors now (Ehh, KRK Rokit 5 1st gen.... Better than my laptop speakers!).

I think you underestimate how muddy loose playing can make a mix, but you may need to tweak your equipment at the source. Care to run me through the setup, from the pick to the mic pre? What strings, guitar, pickups, first cable from the guitar, any effects, amp, amp settings, how old are the tubes and what brands are they, etc. Also, where is the cab sitting in the room? What kind of room? Got rough dimensions?

I'm probably over complicating this, but I'm a freaking nerd :rofl:

are you using an amp sim?

I find that no matter what sim/ ir/ guitar/ pickups/ cables/ picks i use, i always get the same general sound. This sound is very usable, but you will never get the best sounds around out of an amp sim. Im always limited to a very generic, flat sounding mix. Those recording above are really good, and the amps sound amazing. Try using a real amp if you arent. again, im just judging by your recording. The general sound i cant escape is always low in treble and lacks definition in the low end. the transients are thick mush instead of lush crunching. This is the limiting factor for me and the reason why i use real amps and microphones. You can simulate a good sound, but if you want balls out dick pounding tunes, you need to use the best sources possible. get a good amp, boost it if you have to, might need to use an eq pedal if theres too much bass keeping you from clean distortion instead of a muff pedal type sustain. get a good speaker like a v30, use two microphones, get the amp sounding as badass as you can. with some experimentation, you can have a good sound in a short amount of time.

are you using an amp sim?

I find that no matter what sim/ ir/ guitar/ pickups/ cables/ picks i use, i always get the same general sound. This sound is very usable, but you will never get the best sounds around out of an amp sim. Im always limited to a very generic, flat sounding mix. Those recording above are really good, and the amps sound amazing. Try using a real amp if you arent. again, im just judging by your recording. The general sound i cant escape is always low in treble and lacks definition in the low end. the transients are thick mush instead of lush crunching. This is the limiting factor for me and the reason why i use real amps and microphones. You can simulate a good sound, but if you want balls out dick pounding tunes, you need to use the best sources possible. get a good amp, boost it if you have to, might need to use an eq pedal if theres too much bass keeping you from clean distortion instead of a muff pedal type sustain. get a good speaker like a v30, use two microphones, get the amp sounding as badass as you can. with some experimentation, you can have a good sound in a short amount of time.

Something that ahjteam posted in a tutorial, iss that if you're using an amp sim, try running it at a higher sample rate (like 88.2k or 96k). Some of these sims were developed at these higher rates, so they sound undefined and have nasty low end at 44.1k.

Higher sample rate should have no effect whatsoever on the low end, unless the amp sim in question was terribly programmed.

I actually miced an amp here. guitar is esp eclipse with klotz cable to ts 9 to engl powerball with stock tubes to legacy cab 412 with v30. miced with sm57 to a soundcraft mixer with its own pres, to rme multiface, amp wasnt extremly loud. room isnt treated and the amp was in the corner but i didnt find it sounds differenr in the center of the room.. strings are quite old though. pick is jazz 3. i re recorded it more tight with a condenser blended with the sm57. i think it sounds much better guitarwise, but still the mix doesnt seem right, specially not with thse refernces by after forever

Okay, first off, change strings. Second, don't set the cab in the CENTER of the room, but rather angled away from a wall slightly, 3-4 feet out. Preferably a third of the way into the room.

Can't listen to the clip until Tuesday, but I think that may help your problem.

Higher sample rate should have no effect whatsoever on the low end, unless the amp sim in question was terribly programmed.

Check out the AHJTeam youtube channel and see for yourself. Either way, this is a miced amp and the information is moot.

The playing in the clip is really muddy and untight, so you can't "clean up" the tone with EQ and stuff. You must have tight playing to get a decent tone! Otherwise it sounds blackmetal :lol:

Your sound also needs some EQ, but I think you should first concentrate on tracking the guitars well and after you got those tracks tight, start mixing them!

ok i tried thigtening up a little bit the playing, this time its still not reamped and only with amp sims