Power Metal

I tend to agree, in particular Powerplant and NWO have a lack of fresh material. I can enjoy the albums despite this, but there's a noticeable drop in creativity following SOIS.

Hmm... I think Dirk was writing a lot more of the exotic and theatrical songs that were so enjoyable from their early/mid period ("Shine On", "Heal Me", etc.) and now his share of the songwriting falls to Henjo and Dann. Henjo tends to write a lot of the more "repeated" stuff (even "Guardians of Mankind" from SOIS), so maybe his philosophy is that while his band has used a melody before, he hasn't actually composed it, so it's ok. That said, he wrote "Fight", one of the best songs on Majestic. Dann can't write well at all compared to his bandmates, evidenced by easily the two worst songs on Majestic.

Also, they were during the PP-NWO period a more regularly-touring act, whereas it seems they worked more sporadically as a live band during the mid 1990s. So naturally their newer material will be written as more suited to a live band's performance, or even the performance of four guys in the rehearsal room. In Flames is an example of what I'm talking about here, they didn't really tour until after Whoracle, and you can hear the influence of the stage format on the material that followed. (Obviously this is not an apples to apples comparison, just a clarifying analogy.)

There's also this to be considered -- heavy metal was not very popular or very cool when they started out.

I agree completely on the Dirk statement, in fact, I was about to post about it...
about the touring thing, while I understand what you're saying, that should not be an "excuse"... good songs are good songs whether thought to be played live or not and IMO their inspiration was gone a long time ago

call me lame, but I never got what was so great about power metal.

1. no aggression

2. silly lyrics about wizards and dragons

3. instrument wankery

sounds like garbage to me.

to be fair, I did give Blind Guardian a chance, it just wasn't my cup of tea. can anyone recommend power metal bands that have thrash elements and aren't cheesy?

Manilla fucking Road

call me lame, but I never got what was so great about power metal.

1. no aggression

2. silly lyrics about wizards and dragons

3. instrument wankery

sounds like garbage to me.

to be fair, I did give Blind Guardian a chance, it just wasn't my cup of tea. can anyone recommend power metal bands that have thrash elements and aren't cheesy?

Iced Earth
Virgin Steele

Some additional thoughts on what has been said:

Rage: End Of All Days as well as The Missing Link are also great. Go away with that Smolski and Terrana lineup!

Scanner: Ball Of The Damned with a nice version of Queen's Innuendo and Ralf Scheepers on the furious opening track

Iced Earth: Schaffer hates Burnt Offerings, but I cannot find any other album by any other band that could be compared to this style...really dark power metal, and Matt Barlow was a superb vocalist. Talk about silly lyrics and no aggresion here...

Speaking of Germany, I'd mention Brainstorm as a nice Vicious Rumors ripoff, but only Unholy with the old vocalist and the second one with Andy Frank (not frank when it comes to his lyrical influences) are above par.

Anybody here with a real foible for that trashy (sic) kind of German metal, such as Atlain, Gravestone and the likes? - The musical correspondence to a b-movie :lol: .

Iced Earth: Schaffer hates Burnt Offerings, but I cannot find any other album by any other band that could be compared to this style...really dark power metal, and Matt Barlow was a superb vocalist. Talk about silly lyrics and no aggresion here....

Agreed. Are you surprised why he hates it??? It's good music.

Agreed. Are you surprised why he hates it??? It's good music.

Schaffer seems to have gone through a shift of personality. If you read interview from that time, he was full of spite against his own country, ranting against the government...and now this "Glorious Boredom".

Is there a relation between rising patriotism and decreasing musical quality? :erk:

As far as ambiguous thrash/power metal and casting about for a band that occupies a grey area between the two goes, I would heartily recommend Meliah Rage. Valid arguments against both classifications could be made, but would kind of coalese to make Meliah Rage a band that fits the description if played out to their natural conclusions (esp. Death Valley Dreams).

Good thread, some great feedback.

I'm definitely a Ramma Gay fan for sure, with Land of the Free probably being one of my favoUrite euro power metal albums.

Burnt Offerings is the best IE album by far, and I will give credit to Alive in Athens being a great live CD.

But for the more 'obscure' stuff, I do really like the following bands, some of which border on "true" metal:

Slough Feg - of course, and I have to mention Brocas Helm just for the awesome "Black Death" release
Falconer's debut, I agree
I'm really liking Black Hand Inn thus far
Lost Horizon's debut -- blazing stuff

Recently I discovered Sabaton. Their new one rocks my socks off, even with the endearing thick Italian accent. :D

Crescent Shield and Antiquus both getting some airplay as of late and I keep bouncing between the two. Right now, "Redemption" is a great power metal song for the year.

I'll check out some of the other recos made here. Thanks.

Border? I've got Brocas Helm's Into Battle since it came out in 1984. It was just called Heavy Metal then. Helloween's Keeper Of The Seven Keys (I think it's safe to say that was roughly the beginning of what we now call 'power metal') came out in 1987.
But surely we're not going to get into category definitions. That's so 90's. :D
You're the one who started this topic :rolleyes:

whatever man.

It's not like I'm referring to some glam rock as black metal. True, traditional, epic, power (both euro and US)....a fan of one will most likely be a fan of the others.

Omen
Gamma Ray
Jag Panzer
Battleroar
Nocturnal Rites
Airged L'Amh

They can all happily co-exist IMO, so let the thread live!!

US Power Metal has always been a blur of traditional, power, speed, and even sometimes thrash, so I certainly feel that bands like Brocas Helm and Slough Feg could fall under the tag.

Other great albums:

Omen - Battle Cry
Omen - Warning Of Danger
Liege Lord - Master Control
Attacker - Battle At Helm's Deep
Attacker - The Second Coming
Deadly Blessing - Ascend From The Cauldron
Screamer - Target: Earth
Emerald - Iron On Iron
Halloween - Don't Metal With Evil
Angus - Track Of Doom
Lust - We'll Never Die
Satan's Host - Metal From Hell
Griffin - Flight Of The Griffin
Griffin - Protectors Of The Lair
Abattoir - Vicious Attack
Sanctuary - Refuge Denied
Slauter Xstroyes - Winterkill
Savage Grace - The Dominatress
Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise
Nasty Savage - Nasty Savage
etc

The term power metal has no clear definition. I consider what some people here derogatorily name power metal as the typical euro speed with a certain factor of cheesiness, which has nothing to do with what my conception of power metal, a predominantly American thing which incorporates elements of thrash and technical tendencies. In short: an expansion in terms of heaviness, depth and compexity to generic straight forward 80s heavy metal.

Wasn't a Metallica demo titled "Power Metal"?

No, that was an early Pantera record (when they were still a hair band)

To me power metal is cheesy euro speed, or Hammerfall-type stuff if you like. I own several titles on Necuratul's list and nobody called it power metal back then. I don't see the point in renaming things in hindsight. That's just as silly as calling Black Sabbath or Blue Cheer stonerrock.

How did they call it then? In the end, it's just heavy metal anyway, only with these said extensions, leaving aside completely the hard rock nuances the very early bands had, also as far as the lyrical content goes.

No, that was an early Pantera record (when they were still a hair band)

Metallica's 1982 demo was dubbed the "Power Metal demo" after "an old Metallica business card."

To me power metal is cheesy euro speed, or Hammerfall-type stuff if you like. I own several titles on Necuratul's list and nobody called it power metal back then. I don't see the point in renaming things in hindsight. That's just as silly as calling Black Sabbath or Blue Cheer stonerrock.

That's funny, because the people that I talk to did call stuff like that Power Metal, some of them Speed Metal, and some of them even Death Metal. The terms were so ambiguous in the 80s that this discussion is largely irrelevant, however, and due to the fact that JayKeeley mentioned bands in the vein of Brocas Helm and Slough Feg I figured bands in that general style or attitude would be an apt recommendation either way. Besides, you can't really rename something that never really had a proper name to begin with, can you? The 80s were not concerned with variations with respect to the borders of genres, and that's why the bands that fall under the tag of "US Power Metal" are able to fall into so many different genres as we see them now.