Power Metal

I thought that Thunderstorm was a bit ponderous, plodding, overblown and maudlin in detrimental ways, but maybe I will revisit the two albums at my disposal soon and give them a second chance.

Thunderstorm = mid-paced Candlemass with melodic, harmonized power metal choruses.

You're probably thinking of Thunderstone. :loco:

Nope. We're talking about the same band. Overwraught Italian vocals that resemble the ones on Doomsword's debut (which pales in comparison to the next two), cool classical covers but some of the worst computer generated art I've seen in my life to accentuate it. I caught more of a Trouble vibe from them and would place Doomsword closer to Candlemass territory while not making too much of it, though.

The copies of the first two albums I sold (after they sat gathering dust for a good long time) in a wild purging to buy a DLP of something quite some time ago are still sitting at the local CD/DVD exchange, so I think I'll go in and pick up one and relisten and reevaluate since how I process music has changed drastically in the past couple of years.

Thunderstone. Ack! I've only hears a couple of songs on some label comps and that was enough for me, Can't even recall what they sound like beyond knowing that it was something I was not interested in.

Hm. Thought somebody had mentioned it, but I guess not. Definitely Check out Control Denied if you haven't already.

Also, Agent Steel, Persuader, and Dark Empire (for some dark power thrash).

Thunderstone is basically a mix between Stratovarius and Masterplan.

Ancient Rites have nothing to do with power metal, neither in sound nor philosophy (look at their ambiguous associaltion to and concern with both nationalism and multicultural ideas).

Have you heard Rubicon yet? Heh.

I'm not sure how seriously a band that shares members with Agathocles can be concerned with nationalism.

I've read interviews with Theys, and he is a shady character, if you ask me. I wouldn't say he's a nazi, but he does not seem to be concerned about such people forming a part of his band's fanbase - just as it is the case with Marduk.

Well, it doesn't change the fact that Rubicon is substantively a power metal album. That might not be what they were going for, but that's what it is. And it's a very good album.