Power Metal

How did they call it then?
Just Heavy Metal
In the end, it's just heavy metal anyway,
Exactly
Metallica's 1982 demo was dubbed the "Power Metal demo" after "an old Metallica business card."
Yeah, and Onslaught had a song called "Death Metal". Doesn't mean shit.
Metallica's 1982 demo was dubbed the "Power Metal demo" after "an old Metallica business card."

That's funny, because the people that I talk to did call stuff like that Power Metal, some of them Speed Metal, and some of them even Death Metal. The terms were so ambiguous in the 80s that this discussion is largely irrelevant, however, and due to the fact that JayKeeley mentioned bands in the vein of Brocas Helm and Slough Feg I figured bands in that general style or attitude would be an apt recommendation either way. Besides, you can't really rename something that never really had a proper name to begin with, can you? The 80s were not concerned with variations with respect to the borders of genres, and that's why the bands that fall under the tag of "US Power Metal" are able to fall into so many different genres as we see them now.
Not here in Europe they didn't

But since the definition is this broad now I guess we can call Rainbow, Uriah Heep and Europe power metal too :err:

Rainbow, in my opinion, were probably the first "power metal" band.

"Kill the King" came out years before Kai Hansen even strummed a guitar. (Well, that's probably not true but you get the point.) :loco:

Yeah, and it's funny with speed metal. If Accept and Exciter are speed metal, then so should some Judas Priest, and then in that case, why not Megadeth and Annihilator. Gamma Ray draws from ALL the above and they're power metal according to the masses.

Genre definitions are so lame, but I think most people get the jist of this thread.

Ancient Rites have nothing to do with power metal, neither in sound nor philosophy (look at their ambiguous associaltion to and concern with both nationalism and multicultural ideas).

Ancient Rites have nothing to do with power metal, neither in sound nor philosophy (look at their ambiguous associaltion to and concern with both nationalism and multicultural ideas).

I've been giving Diabolical Serenades some ample airplay as of late, and it's really brilliant especially for something released in '94. They didn't force a crappy production out of it in order to sound gr1m. It also combines several heavy metal influences and might be unfairly forgotten perhaps (or at least you don't hear it mentioned as much as, say, "Vikinglidr Veldi").

I like Dim Carcosa too. I imagine this is where they might border power metal just because they dropped some of the BM roots and ventured towards a viking/pagan sound.

Likewise, the main guy (Gunther?) has/had a side project called Iron Clad (I think) and that was 100% power metal.

Not sure about all the nationalism ambiguity...never really took much notice of the Belgians. :loco:

Since they're always going on about their Flemish (the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium) roots a large part of AR's fanbase consists of people who also vote for Belgium's Flemish party (a downright racist political party). Even though AR's music is OK and they claim to be politically neutral their shows attract a pretty creepy crowd.

And no, they are not even remotely power metal.

Like it or not, Metal started here. You yanks were still making yucky AOR when the NWOBHM started.

Come on now, that was clearly in jest. But really, there is bound to be a difference in terminology across the ocean.

ohiogrinder said:
can anyone recommend power metal bands that have thrash elements and aren't cheesy?
As long as we are beginning to get into grey territory here, a band that you may want to check out is latter-day Laaz Rockit. Know Your Enemy and Annihilation Principle.

JayKeeley said:
Battleroar
They are okay and getting better, but when set beside Doomsword--it is no contest and they make Battleroar look a little a shabby.

I am sure you are aware of Doomsword, but some might not have heard of them. Hell, man....Resound the Horn is going to be making its way into my player soon now.

Thrashing power metal...Poltergeist, Savage Grace, Toxik, Realm, Abattoir,...the undiluted thrash always appealed more to me, like Holy Terror's first one, or Hirax and Sadus. I recently checked into Steve Gaines' Anger As Art...pretty weird, the Nasty Savage way...

Anger As Art is actually good? Maybe I shouldn't have ignored it afterall.

They are okay and getting better, but when set beside Doomsword--it is no contest and they make Battleroar look a little a shabby.

I am sure you are aware of Doomsword, but some might not have heard of them. Hell, man....Resound the Horn is going to be making its way into my player soon now.

I like Doomsword, and the digipak packaging is cool, but I don't think they're quite as good as most people make out.

When I'm in the mood for Doomsword, I tend to put on Thunderstorm's "Sad Symphony" or "Witchunter Tales". Awesome band and wholly underrated IMO.

JayKeeley said:
I like Doomsword, and the digipak packaging is cool, but I don't think they're quite as good as most people make out.

When I'm in the mood for Doomsword, I tend to put on Thunderstorm's "Sad Symphony" or "Witchunter Tales". Awesome band and wholly underrated IMO.
Strange choice.

I thought that Thunderstorm was a bit ponderous, plodding, overblown and maudlin in detrimental ways, but maybe I will revisit the two albums at my disposal soon and give them a second chance.

I know for a fact that they are no Doomsword, though. :) But that is the way it goes...

Digipaks are always cool and a format I perfer over jewel cases. But they do seem to drive some people bat-shit nuts.

Anger As Art is actually good? Maybe I shouldn't have ignored it afterall.

I would not say stellar, but that kind of thrash is a rare bird nowadays and deserves attention. It's relentless with the exception of some "experimental" stuff on two songs that sound like an inconcise succession of loose ideas. The playing time is too long with 50 minutes, taking away from the intensity.

Occam's Razor said:
The playing time is too long with 50 minutes, taking away from the intensity.
40 minutes is pushing it when you are talking about searing and savage thrash that is very effective. I heard a couple of songs and really thought about picking the first album up, but it got lost in the schuffle, and I think I will use this as a goad to do so soon.