PP usa gig

Havermout

Focused
Feb 11, 2002
The Netherlands
www.havermout.net
Just got 'home' after the gig to report the promised update about the Evergrey gig at PP usa.

Well, you just had to be here. This was the best, and longest, gig i've seen sofar. 1,5 hour and 18 songs. My neck will hurt tomorrow for sure. From where i was standing (pretty much in front) the place was packed and all of them had a really great time and so did the band.

Despite the fact that they were touring for almost 2 weeks and a very short night due to the very early leave from Denver airport, they played an awesome gig.

Can't wait to see this show again in a few weeks at PP Europe.

A great weekend has come to an end but it was very well worth the traveling.

off to bed now i guess.

cheers,

Henk

(PS, Lotta, talked to Mike and he was doing very fine. When i talked to him prior to the show he was a bit tired from all this traveling. After the gig he felt much better. They pulled out a great gig and enjoyed the audience so much, even tho they seemed to f***ed up some parts on some of the new songs i didn't even noticed.)

I'm back, and I can safely say MY neck hurts, between E and seeing Jon Oliva with Circle II Savatage right before that. \m/ And some wonderful friends of mine pulled strings and let me watch the show from the side of the stage. RAH!

Henk, it was great chatting with you. Hopefully I'll get over to that side of the pond in a year or two for a festival there!

I have a buttload of pictures to post, but it'll have to wait til Wednesday, because I got home last night to find my cable was out. Bah. So I'll be posting from work until then.

I'll have comments later this afternoon when I go to lunch/dinner.

I had such a great time the whole weekend seeing so many amazing bands and seeing Evergrey for first ever time. They were so awesome and that new kid at drums was so killer and I am the biggest drum critic. :)

Hi Jaime! And Hi to everyone else here --- new Evergrey fan here! Saw them at PP4 and they blew me away - what a show!!! I loved every minute of it! Here's an excerpt from my big notes:

Band 4 – Evergrey: Well honestly I felt a little sorry for these guys – having to come on after Circle to Circle/Savatage…..like Pagan’s Mind, I had heard one of their CD’s before but it didn’t register with me…well….unlike PM, by the time they finished I knew who they were! AWESOME JOB!!!! These guys are giants among the metal community – literally! They are huge!!! And when all three of them (sans the drummer) start headbanging it is quite a sight to see!!!! Tom’s hair must fly 10’ in the air!!!! They guys were absolutely great – I loved their set from beginning to end, hard stuff to quiet stuff and everything in between. The over the top song, though, was the 9 minute long Trilogy of the Damned….mostly just piano and vocals, with a short but beautiful guitar solo in the middle….and incredible song, done beautifully…. “Now, there’s something nice in the middle of a metal show, huh!” said Tom, after they finished that one….Oh yeah, Tom, it certainly was!! When they were finished I ran out and got two of their CD’s -- they were definitely my surprise band and I’m really glad I got to see them. An interesting thing to note about these guys --- they have one hell of a guitar tech. I’ve never seen one like him before and I doubt I ever will again. He took great care of them.

I have listened to Recreation Day 3 or 4 times already and will dive into In Search of Truth next. First class stuff here!! :)

I guess they played :

Recreation Day
The Encounter
Masterplan
Solitude Within
Blackened Dawn
Mark of the triangle
The great deciever
Blinded
I'm Sorry
Trilogy of the damned
Nosferatu

Not in that order and perhaps add two or three songs to it.... but it gives you a hint.

tattooedsean666 said:
thanks for the guess. does anyone remember?

what cd is the trilogy from?
'

The trilogy was in the beginning an extra track for the japanese print of In search of truth I think.
But they put it on the limited edition of Recreation Day as well.
It's three old songs put together.

That setlist sounds about right (I know Nosferatu was earlier in the list), except I don't remember Blackened Dawn. That doesn't mean they didn't play it, though - I know there was one song I didn't recognize because I couldn't hear a word Tom was singing.

Comments will come eventually, I swear...

(hi Mare! glad you enjoyed them as much as we did!)

This list was posted by Wayne in another thread at the PP message board. he's one of the guitar techs backstage

Blinded
End of Your Days
Rulers of the Mind
State of Paralysis
Encounter
Recreation Day
Fragments
Darkest Hour
Blackened Dawn
Mark of the Triangle
Trilogy of the Damned
I'm Sorry
Nosferatu
The Great Deceiver
Solitude Within
The Masterplan

Either the list isn't complete or they skipped a few songs since Mike told me the would play 18 songs. To me this list sounds quite ok, but i'm really bad in song titles....but most of them i can remember.

Henk

I posted a monster over on the PerpMo boards yesterday, so if you read that, this won't be anything new.

The set kicked ass - certainly a big improvement over the show at Jaxx the other week! They pulled out a few mellow tunes to complement the usual repertoire, which was awesome. You know you can count on them for the asskicking shit, so it was nice to see a change of pace now and again. Took lots of pictures, of course, and I'll post them sometime tomorrow.

I talked my friend Tracy into coming out from CA for the weekend, and she was hugely impressed too. Made her buy Rec. Day. Didn't even have to twist her arm much. I got the single for I'm Sorry from IOMA, had a couple people go "ooh, where'd you get that?" Couple guys got on the plane with me Sunday afternoon, saw my Evergrey Clan shirt, and said "great fucking show!"

Didn't see much of them after the show - Tom and Mike disappeared, Henrik was off ogling the infamous bartender, and Rikard and Jonas were sociable for a while. I think we scared Rikard though - poor guy didn't know what to do with a horde of chicks armed with Sharpies. hee.

They showed up again later at Dee Venoy's suite at like... *rummages through brain* maybe 3am? My brain's a little fuzzy at this point. Jonas made the mistake of picking up the bottle of German obstbrand that was my contribution to the party. (I like to bring interesting things...) He popped the cork, took a sniff, took a big gulp, paused for three seconds, then screwed up his face and went "yuck!" Everyone else was hiding upstairs doing whatever it is a bunch of drunken guys do when they're sequestered in a bedroom... passed out? snoring? I went back to my hotel around 4am. Left a packet of photos from Cleveland and Jaxx with Chris Lotesto to give them whenever they reappeared - dunno if he was coherent enough to remember.

I'm proud to say that my alcohol can overwhelm even the hardcore Swedish drinkers. *big grin*

It was a great weekend. I'd go to ProgPower even if I wasn't interested in ANY of the bands, just because I have so much fun wreaking havoc with the people!

Evergrey's ProgPower performance was definitly the best concert performance I have ever seen (alongside HammerFall and Dimmu Borgir). I was acting pretty crazy :) Screaming all the lyrics, headbanging, fist-pumping ... it was all wonderful fun :headbang: I must have looked like a madman! o_O

I have been an Evergrey fan since the first CD. PP4 was my first chance to see them live and I was blown away! What a great metal band! I can't wait to see them again!
It as been a great experience to hear and finally see them evolve over the years to the metal monsters they are now. Awesome!

\m/