PP USA VII: Band #5 confirmed

J-Dubya -- I'd like to make a formal request that you purchase some adult incontinence products before the night of the fest. There seem to be lots of bodily fluids escaping your person without your control :ill:

just pullin your leg there JDub :wave:

Glenn;

Over the past few weeks, you introduced some real kick-ass bands. Pyramaze and Wastefall kicks @$$. Savage Circus, from what I heard of them, has some real good stuff. Epica? 'nuff said. I seriously thought they would be HEADLINING. They deserve that kind of respect. That said, I need to say this: What in God's name were you smoking when you came up with Freak Kitchen???:OMG: Are you sure those smokes said "Marlboro"? This band is a Warrant-wannabe. They could probably headline American Idol, as bubble-gum as they are. My Lord, they have as much business at ProgPower as Donny Osmond has on Gigantour.:yuk:

Congratulations, Glenn. You did it. You got me up out of my seat to go into the bar-area at Earthlink. Kiitos!:worship:

Peace,
Ray C.

Congrats Ray. That may have been the most childish post on this forum yet.

For a lesson in class, check out Theli's first post in this thread. He shares youre sentiments, but not the attitude.

Glenn H.

Bear said:
Your trippin, check out the albums not the friggen samples. Move, Dead Soul Men, Spanking Hour all kick ass!!!

Not to mention Freak Guitar I & II

I don't think Steve Vai would have signed IA to his label Favored Nations if he sucked.

Bear

Nothing about them impressed me

Stingray11214 said:
Glenn;

Over the past few weeks, you introduced some real kick-ass bands. Pyramaze and Wastefall kicks @$$. Savage Circus, from what I heard of them, has some real good stuff. Epica? 'nuff said. I seriously thought they would be HEADLINING. They deserve that kind of respect. That said, I need to say this: What in God's name were you smoking when you came up with Freak Kitchen???:OMG: Are you sure those smokes said "Marlboro"? This band is a Warrant-wannabe. They could probably headline American Idol, as bubble-gum as they are. My Lord, they have as much business at ProgPower as Donny Osmond has on Gigantour.:yuk:

Congratulations, Glenn. You did it. You got me up out of my seat to go into the bar-area at Earthlink. Kiitos!:worship:

Peace,
Ray C.

Ray you have no clue what your talking about. Freak Kitchen is metal. To boot they are thought provoking political with a great sense of humor that may be lost on most, namely you. Mattias Eklundh deserves to be on this stage just as much as any other performer that has ever played Prog Power USA or Europe.

Bear

Bear said:
Ray you have no clue what your talking about. Freak Kitchen is metal. To boot they are thought provoking political with a great sense of humor that may be lost on most, namely you. Mattias Eklundh deserves to be on this stage just as much as any other performer that has ever played Prog Power USA or Europe.

Bear
Well said BEAR, i am right there with you. If Stevie Vai is amazed at Mattias Eklundh then enough said. But in all honesty i think FREAK KITCHEN is going to be the biggest surprize at PPVII, them and PYRAMAZE.:headbang:

Why do I have the feeling that if there wa s Behind the scenes Pt 2, Freak Kitchen would give the crew enough material by themselves... how the hell are we supposed to store a bull penis!??! lol
I have heard IA on Freak Guitar 1.. .all I have to say is prepare for the metal version of Zappa or Devin Townsend

Stingray11214 said:
This band is a Warrant-wannabe. They could probably headline American Idol, as bubble-gum as they are.
I don't want to pile on, as I'm sure you're definitely going to catch some grief for your post. However, "a Warrant-wannabe"? Steve Vai heard 30 second of Mattias Eklundh's' guitar tone, and IMMEDIATELY signed him to his Favored Nations label. While I'll grant you that this band isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea (who is?), Warrant they are not.

Zod

nightwish58 said:
Of course they are the oddball Zod; were we listening to the same sound samples on the front page of the PP site?
No we weren't. I own all their CDs. While their tongue in cheek lyrics make them odd, I'd say their music fit under the banner of Prog fairly well.

Zod

Harvester said:
Cheiron said:
, and guitars just sounded like out of 'How to play metal quote]

I can completely understand not liking Freak Kitchen. However, the above comment simply blows my mind. Perhaps you were just commenting on the riff instead of the actual solos.

Mattias is one of the most respected guitarist in the world and is signed to Steve Vai's label. Hell, they just jammed together on stage recently. He also has major guitar endorsement deals and some incredible solo instrumental albums.

Betwen that and the "Korn" comment :confused: , I simply think you are letting your biasness of the musical style effect your objectivity in evaluating talent.

That's ok..to each their own.

Glenn H.

I was commenting on the 'riffs.' It sounded generic to me =/

I'm going to give them a full try, but I really can't get too much from them. The clips on their website don't offer much (i'll try to watch one of the videos when I'm home), and the mp3s here wasn't enough.

I have heard some great guitar solos in the past. And I think these guitarists are great. But... does that mean that the -song- is good? Not really. And often I find, what would be otherwise wonderful solos, in a song that it doesn't belong to.

Too often guitarists have a PnP (plug-and-play) style to their solos. In other words, you can take it out of one of their songs, plug it into another one of their songs, and it still works.

Again I haven't heard enough of these guys to see if they fall into that trap. Just that I'm not going to say 'wow awesome solo' and therefore like them.

Note: Korn comment was mostly specific to 'We've heard it all before.' At least the start of it. I stopped listening before the end.

Didn't know what to expect after reading all the posts before listening, but the result is better than I thought it would be. I'm hoping they'll be what Therion was last year - the band that I thought I would watch the first couple tunes, then head for beer and souveniers (but ended up seeing the whole set cuz they blew me out!).

More please!

I would suggest that if anyone is aware of another FK mp3 out there, to post a link in here or start a new thread. While I did enjoy those two songs in the audio section, perhaps it would be best if others sampled just how different the band is on other albums.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
I would suggest that if anyone is aware of another FK mp3 out there, to post a link in here or start a new thread. While I did enjoy those two songs in the audio section, perhaps it would be best if others sampled just how different the band is on other albums.

Glenn H.

I went to this link on their site and they seem to have a short clip of every song. (edit: ah, you already knew that. I now see the link on the audio page.)
They are real short though, and maybe don't give the best representation? I wasn't turned on my anything I heard yet, but I'm stilling willing to give a shot in Sept.

All I can say is...YES!!!!

I have wanted to see this band live ever since I heard a song a billion years ago on Jaxx's radio show. I am a huge fan, and think they're going to blow people away at PP.

And Mary and I are pround to be sponsors again at the best festival in the US. So far this line up is kicking much ass (I'm not sure about Savage Circus, but they'll probably be fun live). Thanks Glenn!

dt