Pretty sure I'm quitting my band.

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
Shit just isn't happening. I'm tired of waiting for something that will never be. What is that? Just progress. Just something. We've been floating on the same 10 songs for close to 4 years now...any sort of attempts of progress keeps getting shut down in the name of rehearsing a million times to prepare for our next show because a couple of guys cannot function at the gigs without doing so. We are in the middle of recording, stuff keeps getting set back. I've kinda been thinking about it quite a bit lately and have finally decided that once we finish the recording, following our gig next month, I am gonna bail. I already talked to the other guitarist, who has been pretty vocal about his apathy with the band lately to where it has encouraged me to be so as well, and he pretty much said "good, me too".

Anyone else empathize with this? Had this happen to you?

You and him shoudl start your own band, or, remove the other members and rehire other players. I am going to take a guess here and assume that you two already wrote the majority of the material, so... if you love your music; remove the obstacles, not yourself.

That fucking sucks dude :(
If it makes you feel any better, for the last project I tried to do, not a single drummer I asked wanted to do it, and our singer just became a complete mental illness mess and constantly posting on facebook about she's in pain and blah blah

Been there, done that.. i quit it all and i feel so much better alone.
Sometimes i miss just rehearsing some songs with a band though.

I would do what Chris is suggesting first though, try and start something new.. maybe take a break in between or something just to "catch your breath" in between though.

Exactly - take a break, and that can be time for you and the other guitarist to get some new material together, that way when you get to a point where you're looking for musicians, you don't have to fuck around with reinventing the wheel - hand them a CD, tell them to learn their parts, and to expect to play in 2-3 months.

it's hard to find people that are all dedicated enough to make it happen. I'm going through something similar right now.

my advice is find people that understand what it takes ASAP and do what it takes to work with them.

I hear you, my two last bands ended due to this. Just quit and look for something else, better people (if that really exists...). i think only the chosen ones get the good people to have in a band. that sucks :/

Where its headed right now is pretty much becoming like a hired gun, so to speak. Since there isn't a super prominent scene here, I'll probably be traveling a bit to play with one band or another.

There is *one* band I'm sorta friends with that I kinda wish currently had an opening, but its just wishful thinking...no stepping on toes for me. It'd have to be in the cards and at present time, it isn't.

I've been in a similar situation as you before, had a band where the vocalist/leader was all about talk and nothing about do, he would do interviews, have tons of ideas for the show and nothing ever happened, he planned a million shows but only one or two came through, he did everything related to artwork, album structure, lyrics, songwriting, accepting gigs, booking recording time without telling anyone else in the band, I went mad and left the band when I found out by a poster on some random myspace site that I was playing in this fucking wierd shit city in a month's time, and when I told the dude he was like "supriiiiiiise" and I was like "fuck you I quit"

I've been in a similar situation as you before, had a band where the vocalist/leader was all about talk and nothing about do, he would do interviews, have tons of ideas for the show and nothing ever happened, he planned a million shows but only one or two came through, he did everything related to artwork, album structure, lyrics, songwriting, accepting gigs, booking recording time without telling anyone else in the band, I went mad and left the band when I found out by a poster on some random myspace site that I was playing in this fucking wierd shit city in a month's time, and when I told the dude he was like "supriiiiiiise" and I was like "fuck you I quit"

Same here.. worst part is that the singer in my old band had contacts with some of the better European record companies, but he wasnt motivated enough to actually do anything(He kind'a expected everything to get done by it self.).

Same here.. worst part is that the singer in my old band had contacts with some of the better European record companies, but he wasnt motivated enough to actually do anything(He kind'a expected everything to get done by it self.).

Yeah I get what you mean, they think that by doing two lame-ass blogsite that nobody reads interviews their world tour is sitting right around the cornet

Singers are the fucking worse. I quit my last band because he was a lazy cunt. The last straw was him showing up for 1 practice in a month. Fuck em.

hahah I've worked with a few of these before, that's why in my last band I decided to be my own singer, I'm not too good at it but it's one less lazy asshole to worry about

You and him shoudl start your own band, or, remove the other members and rehire other players. I am going to take a guess here and assume that you two already wrote the majority of the material, so... if you love your music; remove the obstacles, not yourself.
In response to this, we've already tried the route of replacing problematic members. We fired our bassist and drummer a while back, brought in a new drummer and a temp bass player. Drummer had to quit to move back to Norway for a period of time (he's back now but is too wrapped up in his courses, and wont come out of his dorm room). We ended up reluctantly agreeing to bring the original guys back after a period of dormancy, since there just really isn't anyone to tap on here that can keep up...the fill-in bass player lives over an hour away.

It's just run its course with the dynamic as it exists. The other guitar player and I are going to keep working together, but its also a reality that he isn't willing/able to play in a group like this anymore. Through that, I've become aware that I really can't be in a group with him anymore, and stepping back from this will help cultivate our musical relationship again...he's become too jaded to play in a band anymore, so him and I will just write together and put out music. Since he's become quite against playing shows, it will be somewhat counterproductive that we wont be able to promote using that avenue, so who's to say where that will end up...

have you had the "guys-i-won't-go-on-like-that-are-you-willing-to-change-things-or-not-if-not-i'm-out"-talk? should do that before you rush things. after it the decision should make itself pretty much.