Priest or Maiden?

Which is better?

• Total voters
*sigh*

Compared to 70's Priest, Maiden just seems so cartoony by comparison. Priest is dark, mysterious, epic, emotional, while to me Maiden comes off as a great band that happens to be a bit one-dimensional by comparison.

Well if you're gonna just compare eras..who sucked more Maiden with Blaze Bailey or Priest with Ripper Owens? I'd say Maiden on that front lol

80's Priest vs 80's Maiden? Even though Iron Maiden softened near the end of the decade, I'd still go with them.

*sigh*

Compared to 70's Priest, Maiden just seems so cartoony by comparison. Priest is dark, mysterious, epic, emotional, while to me Maiden comes off as a great band that happens to be a bit one-dimensional by comparison.

totally agree, they also had this amazing ease and flow and dreamy otherworldliness that i love. and they knew how to rock the fuck out when required as well, for that matter.

i do like 80s maiden more than 80s priest overall, but all of maidens classic albums were in the 80s lol

totally agree, they also have this amazing ease and flow and dreamy otherworldliness that i love. and they know how to rock the fuck out when required as well, for that matter.

This is exactly how I would describe Sad Wings. The whole thing just feels so ethereal, but at the same times swoops down and kicks your ass. Quite extraordinary.

It quite easily gets my vote for greatest heavy metal album.

Does anybody else find listening to 80s Priest to be incredibly frustrating? There are so many snippets of what made them brilliant in the 70s, but then they go and shit it up with ridiculously gay bits. I seriously think that if you cut out all the filler from their 80's output, you could condense it into maybe two great albums.

I don't like every style that priest took on but I like their individual sound that comes through more than maidens. Maiden have songs that sound very similar to others which kind of annoys me too.

Also on guitar work, bits and bob of maiden stuff doesn't sound that great to me to be honest. Some of the solos...

It quite easily gets my vote for greatest heavy metal album.

Does anybody else find listening to 80s Priest to be incredibly frustrating? There are so many snippets of what made them brilliant in the 70s, but then they go and shit it up with ridiculously gay bits. I seriously think that if you cut out all the filler from their 80's output, you could condense it into maybe two great albums.

yup. although i like all of defenders of the faith before the heavy duty/dotf combo, and that album's full of gay shit haha.

Wait did i vote in this one yet? Answer is neither.

dude how the fuck can you not like either priest or maiden, im so sick of people not giving metal pioneers the respect and gratitude they surely deserve, without these guys i doubt there would be any black metal or whatever you listen too.

Judas Priest are by far the better band by some distance, like just listen to stained class, it out does anything maiden has ever produced, and yes i have listened to every maiden and priest record.

Screaming For Vengeance kicks ass, and this is based on careful reevaluation yesterday speeding down the motorway pumping my fist and SCREEEEEEEEEAAAMING! SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE! on my way to school.

dude how the fuck can you not like either priest or maiden, im so sick of people not giving metal pioneers the respect and gratitude they surely deserve, without these guys i doubt there would be any black metal or whatever you listen too.

Its not about not giving respect or gratitude. I personally just dont get much out of either Maiden or Priest. I do like other pioneers though such as Black Sabbath and then later the pioneers of thrash, death, black and whatever subgenre you want. But one can never like every pioneering band.

To me I cant stand alot of Bruce Dickinson if I have to listen to a whole album. I dod grow up with Maiden though so I know their stuff pretty good. Just something that never really connected with me and on top of it I've grown out of their music.

Judas Pries was never anything I listened to. I tried them out after buying tickets to the Priest/Megadeth/Testament tour but they do nothing for me :/