Pro Tools Delay No Compensation in LE...?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Never really had to bother with any kind of delay compensation before , as my PC has been able to handle a lot up to now. But I was wondering what you guys do when you use plug ins that are extremely tough on the CPU in tandem. Do you just bounce the tracks and then re-insert the bounced tracks into the session? For instance I ran drums through Drumagog , which then had a good amount of delay on them. I imported the bounced track , tabbed to the first transient and cut there, then dragged back to beginning where it belonged. Now I want to run same drums through IR1A reverb , Ozone and POD Farm's console preamp , so do I throw them all on and bounce the track , and do the same tab to transient thing again? Also , would you put all three of these things on drums at once , or run through each plug in and bounce independently ? Would bouncing all these effects at the same time affect the sound negatively?

You could use mellowmuse ATA. It gets everything in place but it's got a learning curve as well - aux tracks and all. I'm using the time shifter plugin and doing it manually. It's simple, really. Shift all of the tracks by 2000 samples, start adding the plugs. You're gonna see a few of the tracks exceeding 2000 samples due to the plugs. Simply use the plugin and bring it back to 2000. It doesn't necessarily have to be 2000 samples. It all depends on what/how many hungry plugs you wanna use. The reason I do this is because it's not possible to go below 0. You get the logic.

Can't wait to get my hands on ATA ;)

If you're printing you triggered tracks with Drumagog anyway, easier way to bring the new track where it needs to be is just select the new track, Alt + H and type in the sample value of the delay. You can figure what your delay value is by clicking directly in the volume spot of the track Drumagog is inserted on 2 times. 1st click changes it from your voume to your pk, next click changes it to your delay amount

I've found drumagog to be pretty accurate with the amount of delay it reports back to PT and have not had any problems with this method

As for reverb and such, why are you running the drum tracks directly through the verb instead of just putting it on an aux track?

Another option to save on CPU is Print the guitars to another track wet then turn off pod farm. You will still have your DI's on the original tracks if you want to change something later you will just have less CPU running.

Skinny Viking - thanks for the tips. I do have verb running on an aux track , but when I print the drums are still delayed the same

Another option to save on CPU is Print the guitars to another track wet then turn off pod farm. You will still have your DI's on the original tracks if you want to change something later you will just have less CPU running.

I am going to do this , I am still nailing down gtr tone though. POD Farm isn't using as much CPU as Ozone and the others

I started using ATA. It was great at first but once get into the mixing stage, adding lots of plugins on large sessions it's a total pain. Use the alt+h trick.