PRO TOOLS WITHOUT digidesign/m-audio interface?

Leon--

Apr 17, 2009
London
hello guys
i just wanted to know if it's possible to open pro tools without a digidesign/m-audio interface and if yes how can i do that?
cheers

Rumor has it that soon you will be able to use whatever hardware you please. Supposedly it will be announced at AES next week...but at this point it is only a rumor.

^ but that'll only be for new PT versions right? I mean, I'm still using LE 7.4 with an MBox to open it .. I would have to upgrade my version of PT to whatever supports the use of 3rd party hardware if that is in fact what will happen ... or am I wrong?

Yeah coming next week. Friend of mine who is a beta tester wouldn't spoil too many surprises for me because of the NDA but he didn't not not not tell me that it would be hardware independent ;)

It will definitely be interesting to see what they do with the software. I also saw somewhere that it would be more "open" in terms of plug-ins as well.

I'm fairly optimistic as well. If they drop the hardware requirements and ad ADC I may perma jump ship (I have 8 now, and almost never use it).

Oh and the upgrade cost would have to be acceptable. Not willing to pay more than $150 to upgrade.

If it's really going be a totally open ProTools environment, I'm pretty sure you can't get an upgrade for $150, at least not the full-blown version. I think an Avid representative said they consider PT Native software to be worth $2500. And just look at the price of LE with Complete Production Toolkit :/

Where has the world come to when I actually think that a fully open native version of ProTools costing about 2000$ would actually be a really good price... Its just the whole stigma of Avid/Digi in this industry that leads me to think that it is actually acceptable when you've got a handful of other options that do the same or even more for 80% of the cost or something... It's really depressing, but if that happened, I'd probably jump on it :S

Where has the world come to when I actually think that a fully open native version of ProTools costing about 2000$ would actually be a really good price... Its just the whole stigma of Avid/Digi in this industry that leads me to think that it is actually acceptable when you've got a handful of other options that do the same or even more for 80% of the cost or something... It's really depressing, but if that happened, I'd probably jump on it :S

Well, Nuendo is $1800. Sequoia is $3000. Sadie 6 is (I think) about $3500. It's not that crazy. Shit, even SAWStudio is $2500.

So can someone please tell me why ProTools is so special then?

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, I'm just genuinely curious...

It's not compatible with "standard" audio interfaces and it doesn't host VSTs.

Why is ProTools used everywhere?

* And it looks ugly too. I know that shouldn't really be too much of a concern, but, well, you gotta admit Logic or Cubase looks way prettier.