Pro Wrestling fans

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
What is it that you enjoy about it?

I was really into it when I was a kid (partly because my parents banned me from watching it, and partly because a friend of mine always watched it, had the magazines, etc.). I was into the Hardys, Bushwackers, Sting (hated Arn Anderson), Ultimate Warrior, The Rockers, Barber beefcake, Jake the Snake, Mr. Perfect, The Narcissist (Lex Luther), and Legion of Doom. And then when I found out it was fake I lost interest for a number of years.

Then I got back into it around 1997 or so. That really was when it started to get huge in pop culture. Monday Night Raw and Nitro. Pretty much everybody I knew watched it (my circle at that time was primarily those in college with me, living in the dorms). I got into a few of the storylines. It was great to see Sting still kicking ass. The matches were generally fun to watch, though the highlight match often sucked (almost always there was the 'cheating' to end it, or the match didn't occur), and you'd know it was going to suck because there'd only be about 5 minutes left to the show when it began. Some great personalities, such as Goldberg, and Stone Cold. I felt that it was all being done fairly well.

I basically got out of it again when McMahon started to 'roid it up pretty bad and started to wrestle himself. Not because of him, but it was around then that I felt like it really started to get weak again.

I've never really gone back to it. I glance at it here and there, and few of them interest me. I watched the reality show for a little because a guy I knew in high school was on it, Chris Harvard. But now when I look at it, I see too many leagues, so the 'stars' are spread out all over. I don't see the great rivalries. The pre-match posturing is lamer than ever (though its always been sort of lame).

But I knew a few people here enjoy it, so curious what you enjoy about it.

When WCW sold to Vince McMahon it destroyed the competition that made Nitro and Raw fun to watch.He no longer had to worry about out-doing the other guy for a better storyline.I guess some people say TNA is getting close to being good competition against WWE but it comes on Thursday night I think.So it's really not up against RAW for ratings.TNA has gotten some former WWE/WCW stars on it's roster so they might try and move to Monday night's if they think they could create the fascination that everyone seemed to have during those years with WWE vs. WCW.

Cheiron,
Wow, my story is almost EXACTLY as yours, down to the year getting back into it (1997).

I grew up a HUGE fan of AWA. Being in Chicago, it was popular, given that it was broadcast out of Minnesota. I really enjoyed WCCW (Von Erichs, Freebirds, etc), UWF (where guys like Sting, Dr Death Steve Williams, etc originated), and the NWA (original 4 Horsemen, etc). WWF was of course fun too, but always been the Gwar or KISS of wrestling, if you know what I mean.

I got back into it around 1997 when WCW and WWF were going through the Monday night wars. It was exciting again. That lasted a couple years.

I have no clue about wrestling these days.
I know a lot of the older popular guys are in TNA, which is run / owned by Jeff Jarrett.

I was a huge fan as a kid in the early-mid 90's, and stopped paying attention towards the late 90's.

Rarely watch now, since every time I turn it on, they're talking...and not wrestling! :mad:

I enjoyed it as a kid, with my brothers... but it all turned into a g-d soap opera, with different... ever evolving story lines. I was there to watch some ass kicking, not see which roid freak was supposedly dating some ring tramp.

boxing is the way to go!

anyone see mosley vs margarito!? doesnt get much better than that.

i used to love wrestling back when i was a kid. i remember i got goosebumps when stone cold beat big show by hitting him with a chair. looking back on it though, its really funny, how fake it is, but it was hard to hate most of those guys. also floyd mayweather jr. facing the big show started a shitstorm on some boxing forums.

brock lesnar is now the heavyweight champ of UFC, thats pretty interesting. too bad they wont ever match him up with fedor.

Cheiron,
Wow, my story is almost EXACTLY as yours, down to the year getting back into it (1997).

That makes 3 of us. Right about the time Shawn Michaels became a massively huge name and wrestled ...Disel? I think? Right after the match with Brett what's his face.

Then the WCW had the NWO, wow that was an awesome line. Hulk turning into a bad guy, Sting being a freak fighting for who knows... wow.

That makes 3 of us. Right about the time Shawn Michaels became a massively huge name and wrestled ...Disel? I think? Right after the match with Brett what's his face.

then the WCW had the NWO, wow that was an awesome line. Hulk turning into a bad guy, Sting being a freak fighting for who knows... wow.

I've gotta agree w/ you there bro! The NWO & & The Hollwood Hogan & Sting storylines were the absolute SHIT imho!!! I also have to admit I still JUST LOVED THE REAL D-Generation X w/ X-Pac & The New Age Outlaws-Road Dogg & "Badass" "Mr. Ass" Billy Gunn!!!! Btw, I've got quite a few old vhs ppvs WCW & WWF from that cool era!!! Damn I miss great one's like Al Snow & Head! When they paired him w/ Steve Blackman, that was Awesome! "Head Cheese" anyone?! lol :kickass:

WRESTLEMANIA 25 MAIN EVENT ANNOUNCED!

IRON MIKE SHARPE VS BROOKLYN BRAWLER VS RED ROOSTER IN A 3 WAY BATTLE.

Hahaha Brooklyn Brawler. When I was much younger, he was guaranteed to be on WWF every saturday morning and lose. I didn't know that he ever got beyond the role as a jobber. Awesome.

I have no idea.

I started watching around 1998 (I was 8 years old) and I started with WCW. I wasn't allowed to watch ECW or WWF because it was too raunchy and bad according to my parents. Anyways, I saw it at my friends and got hooked to Sting, NWO, Wolfpack (especially), and Goldberg. I started watching it at my house and then as the years went by, I started watching WWE around when I was 10.

I remember switching back from Raw and Nitro and how exciting it was back then. I loved the cruiserweights, the storylines, and just the wrestling was great. I knew it was fake all along but I still loved it.

The recent years have been pretty decent but not that great or as good as it used to IMO. They push guys too fast and give them the belt in less time so it's ridiculous. They pretty much force main eventers on you even though half of the fans hate them (Cena...I'm one of the haters) or don't think they're up to par to be the "stars." You don't have much guys that are on the same level as Stone Cold, The Rock etc anymore except for Triple H.

But I still watch it. I guess I'm just hooked to the storylines and it's more of a ritual. I never miss Raw...I tape it on my DVR every week but sometimes I miss Smackdown. I HATE soap operas but I still love the stories, even if they're cheesy as hell. It's funny and every once in awhile, you get a great match that gives you chills and has a lot of energy.

And only about 4-5 friends in real life know I watch it. I'm embarrassed to say I still watch it but oh well...I guess you could say I'm a closet fan.

As far as actual "wrestling matches" go,Bret Hart,Chris Benoit,Eddie Guerrero,and a few others made matches worth watching even though you knew it was fake.They seemed to put their heart and soul into trying to give the audience what they paid for when attending the events.

Does anybody remember Hulk Hogan's cartoon??
It was called "Hulk Hogan's Rock N' Wrestling" I think.I LOVED that cartoon.

When the Von Erich/Freebird rivalry heats up again, give me a call. I lost interest after that.

The Von Erichs are all dead so in the long run, I guess we know who the ultimate champions were.

I never miss Raw...

I never do either. I have been watching wrestling since the mid 80s religiously. Everything from the Bob Backlund, Don Moracco, Paul Orndorf days to today's Cena, Batista, Orton etc.

Why be embarrased or ashamed you watch it? With all the rabid "Reality TV" fans running rampant these days? Least wrestling showcases the athleticism along with the scripted drama!!

I have seen it all!

RAW's first ever theme music was actually sung by Jon Oliva (Savatage)!

yeah, wasn't that a Doctor Butcher track? Can't recall the title.

Song was called "All Together Now". Ive actually played it on my radio show haha.

27fb81b0c8a09c66cefa911zg3.jpg

blast from the past...

and this one shows that Cornette is still the best on the mic...

as a side note, my wife's sister - who is a year older than me - graduated from Paulding County High School with 'Big Bubba' Rogers (real name Ray Traylor). He was running for County Commissioner here a few years ago but died from a heart attack in Sept 2004. I regret I was never able to meet him before he passed away. :erk:

Last edited by a moderator:
blast from the past...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPVq37AG65U

and this one shows that Cornette is still the best on the mic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3PxjOgXffw

as a side note, my wife's sister - who is a year older than me - graduated from Paulding County High School with 'Big Bubba' Rogers (real name Ray Traylor). He was running for County Commissioner here a few years ago but died from a heart attack in Sept 2004. I regret I was never able to meet him before he passed away. :erk:

"Big Bubba" better known as "The Big Boss Man" when he was at the height of his career.I think I remember a title match between Boss Man and Hulk Hogan on Saturday Night's Main Event