Probably my best mix yet! (like Acrh Enemy & Nevermore)

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Hey, just finished recording a band called Splatta Fish.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/333261/Splatta Fish/Discharge of Purity (222 Production).mp3

edit: took down this^ link. updated mix a few posts down

drums: I mic'd and triggered the entire kit, but only ended up using a little bit of the snare mic (and overheads mics) in the mix because the kit was in pretty bad shape.

guitars: jackson soloist, od808, 5150, mesa recto, sm57. I'm not really happy with the guitar we used because it had a floyd rose. some harmony parts just sound a bit out of tune, but maybe i'm just being too anal.

bass: warlock, sansamp bass driver di, some behringer amp :headbang:, beta52

vocals: female vocalist, sm7

The snare, guitars, bass and vocals all ran through my new golden age pre-73 with the full zen pro mod. absolutely love that thing!

Huge!
I would mix the vocals about 0,5 dB louder (really very Arch Enemy-like!!! Actually I like this singer even better) because they get "powered down" by the drums. I can hear everything, which is cool. The bass sound is great (I love Behringer gear!), too.

I agree with turning the kick down and guitars up.

Maybe take away a little 2k from the guitars, too.

Damn, great stuff Dan, excellently done :headbang: Maybe a touch too much 100 Hz or so on the bass IMO, but super-full and beastly, with a great grind, and the drums (esp. cymbals) sound really clear. Too bad the guitar playing couldn't be a bit cleaner, but that of course was not really in your control, and it's certainly not unbearable - again, great job!

This sounds fricking awesome! But I think what brought it down was the drills on the kick in the intro riff(just around 3-4 seconds into the song). That is totally turning me off. To bad though cause the rest of the song is solid as hell! Maybe if you align the kick a bit better(screw the drummer if he protests) Fix it!

volume wise 5150>Recto or 5150<Recto?

because now i'm struggling to choose between that, and after hear your work, it seems so perfect