Problem with installing iTunes.

~Neurotica

perfectly insane
Mar 27, 2006
Ok, I'm trying to install iTunes for PC (Windows XP). It installs that thing and in the end when I'm trying to open the actual program it gives me the window that says "You don't have enough of rights for this operation". And that's it. Doesn't even open iTunes. So I can't put anything on iPod.

Before I reinstalled my OS a few weeks ago - everything worked fine, although I used the same OS installing CD.

HELP!!!!

Are you on the administrator account of your computer? Sometimes restricted accounts can block such access.

Also, have you activated Windows?

Schwärzung;8534668 said:
Are you on the administrator account of your computer? Sometimes restricted accounts can block such access
Yup, I am.

Also, have you activated Windows?
I think, not. But like I said - it was the same one OS version as before, when it worked fine.
You might be right though - the problem can be in Windows activating. And I remember that for some reason while installing Windows - it didn't ask me for a serial key, though I do have it.
Is there any way to activate it offline after the Windows is already installed?

Yes, and like I said it worked fine with this same one OS until I just reinstalled it (OS) once.

see if the follwing folder structure exists and it has the necessary privillages given to the user you're logged into (by going to its properties > security tab:

c:\documents and settings\alina_neurotic_poopstain\my documents\my music\itunes\itunes music

give it full access rights

if that doesnt fix it, make sure your quicktime installation is running fine.

if nothing works, here's a post some guy made on apple forums ((similar problem).. it might be of help

Just thought I'd put out an update on my problem. It has been solved. I spoke to a tech at Apple at 1-800-275-2279. She had me try a few things that didn't help. Her last suggestion was to uninstall QuickTime and iTunes then reload. She sent me the uninstall instructions at http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n93698 which I followed. When speaking to her I told her I was afraid to do this because I saw other people on the discussion board who tried this and lost all of their music. She assured me that that wouldn't happen. I did the uninstall then the install. (Just a note here, I also read on the message board that someone said that to cure this problem you should do the install then open up QuickTime before opening iTunes. I did this also but don't really know if it made a difference.

Bottom line is I uninstalled QuickTime and itunes per the instructions at the site shown above. I then installed both again from www.apple.com/itunes/download. After the download I ran the install and unchecked the box to let itunes start after the install. I then opened Quicktime then closed it. I then opened iTunes and all of my music was there and I didn't get the anoying "iTunes is not set as the default player" and the error after trying to set it. The problem described in my first posting of copying CD's is also gone. So beleive it or not, EVERYTHING is working just like it should. Some of the above steps might not be required but I would follow them step by step because I know they worked for me.

well the playcount doesnt update or you can't SEE the count are two different things.

if its the latter, you need to make sure play count and last played are checked in this window:
viewoptions.PNG

you open that through view > view options

if its not, let me know

see if the follwing folder structure exists and it has the necessary privillages given to the user you're logged into (by going to its properties > security tab:

c:documents and settingsalina_neurotic_poopstainmy documentsmy musicitunesitunes music

give it full access rights
Hmmmm... You know - I placed my documents not on system local disk, so I won't lose any info if the OS gets crashed.
For example my OS is on C, and I made it that My Documents are on D (maybe that's one of the reasons why iTunes bitches? But I've been doing this forever).
And I just tried to open "my Music" folder and it gives me a window "Access Denied!". So I can't even open the damn folder. Now what the hell is that supposed to mean?!

Hmmmm... You know - I placed my documents not on system local disk, so I won't lose any info if the OS gets crashed.
For example my OS is on C, and I made it that My Documents are on D (maybe that's one of the reasons why iTunes bitches? But I've been doing this forever).
And I just tried to open "my Music" folder and it gives me a window "Access Denied!". So I can't even open the damn folder. Now what the hell is that supposed to mean?!
if i'm right, a lot of this my documents folder in D is from your previous XP installation.. right? if not it, my music certainly is.

if that is the case, then the permissions assigned to the folder are still the ones from the previous xp's user account (technically the security ID of the previous user). you'd have to take ownership of the folder so that itunes can write to it.

You must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take ownership of the folder:
  1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
    1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    3. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.
  2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.
  4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

7. Click Yes.
  8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

SHOULD do it. lemme know.

Best way to fix your problem.

Don't use iTunes.
I only need iTunes for putting shit on my iPod. You can't use any other way (except wifi, which I don't have).

Cryptal, yes, you are right. And omg. I'm going to try this! I'll let you know in a bit!

I only need iTunes for putting shit on my iPod. You can't use any other way (except wifi, which I don't have).

Cryptal, yes, you are right. And omg. I'm going to try this! I'll let you know in a bit!

You can actually use Winamp to put stuff in your ipod. Last time I tried, though, it was extremely glitchy