Problems installing firewire card

lost_within

Apr 24, 2006
UK
I have a Belkin firewire pci card with a TI chipset. I've tried inserting it into several pci slots and it still isn't recognising the hardware. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm running windows XP, and it says on the box it's compatible with this OS, but doesn't have a guide on how to install this in the manual.

Try Windows + Pause Break, and go to Hardware -> Device Manager

Does it list anything there under Other Devices (most likely as an Unknown device) with a yellow question mark?

If there is one or more, doubleclick on each and see if any of them has a device type "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers". If there is, that's the Belkin card. Now click on the Driver tab and select Update driver.. and let it search for drivers automatically and from Windows update, since the card does not come with any drivers, as it's a Plug'n'Play device and should be detected and installed automatically by the OS. Windows Update at least should have drivers for it, if the OS itself doesn't find any (in some strange case).

If there's nothing, or not a IEEE 1394 device under Other devices, open the "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" entry and see if there's an "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". If there is, doubleclick on it and see if it says anything under Device status. If it says that it's working properly, try updating the drivers from Drivers -> Update driver...

If you can't find anything regarding it, check the BIOS status for it, or if it even lists it under PCI devices (it depends on the mobo CMOS program where it's located, so I can't tell an exact location). If it's not even in BIOS, then the card is broken.

It does work in Windows XP because that's the card and the OS (XP SP3) that I'm using right now :)