Profire 2626 into Apogee Ensemble (more preamps)

avrinder

May 25, 2009
Canada
www.myspace.com
Hi guys, I probably need it dumbed down since I'm new to this kind of connections.

I have an Apogee Ensemble, and a Profire 2626. I obviously need more than 4 preamps to record drums. 10-12 would be ideal.

What would be a few different ways of doing so? I can't find a video tutorial on this yet. Aside from ADAT, is there another way?

edit: As well, how would I see the pro fire 2626 re-amps in my Logic Pro record-enabled?

Thanks for your time and patience.

-Avi

PS - I have an older black Macbook (early 2008 model, 4 gb ram, duo core, external 5400 rpm HD) &
an iMac 2011 (2.7 GHz i5, 4 gb ram)

I dont have either of these units. But heres my guess.

Use the profire in standalone mode. Use direct outs from profire preamps to free inputs on ensemble to take advantage of the A/D conversion. Send Adat from profire to Ensemble for extra tracks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice man! Question is, both are Firewire interfaces. Would I have to plug both into my iMac or Macbook? (Macbook only has one firewire port) - so i guess daisy-chaining would be an option?

no when the profire is not connected to a computer it is in standalone mode. A simple preamp with a/d conversion. search the manual for standalone mode.

You need to use ADAT. There's no reason to do it any other way. Use the pro fire 2626 as the main interface. Run an adat cable from the ensemble to the pro fire. Set up the pro fire through it's software to clock off the apogee, as it most likely has better clocking.

In logic it should show up with an extra 8 inputs. I use Pro Tools and I can't remember how the i/o works exactly in logic, but it should be pretty easy.

The only thing that might be weird: I can't remember how exactly the preamp gain and settings are controlled through the ensemble. I've only used on once or twice. Read the manuals. You might have to hook up the ensemble and set it up beforehand, or you could possibly use the ensemble as the main interface as well. If you do this you'd have to hook up the m-audio and set it up the right way.

I don't know how easy it is to configure the pro-fire to do it studdy's way, I'd probably just run the one adat cable, keep it simple.