Best Motherboard for Profire 2626

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
Okay so after weeks of not being able to solve my problem from here
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/600739-profire-2626-windows-7-64-bit-random-pops.html

I really want to go to windows 7 as my new OS, and i was wondering whats the best motherboard for Profire 2626... Im thinking of buying an asus just to replace my Gigabyte MB since my problem seems to be hardware.

Im willing to throw in around 80$ for this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5344015&CatId=1533

Any opinions?

BTW ima be using same CPU, and RAM.
-Cpu: Intel Quead Core Q9550
-RAM: 4 Gigs

A mobo won't cause that, especially a GB, which are built better than ASUS. Low latency pops are usually a DSP issue particularly with bad drivers.

Yea dude oright well ive tried almost everything i disabled all other hardware but i still get those spikes with the DPC latency tester.... I dont understand why its happening!

The only reason i mention ASUS was because in the M-audio forum a representative suggested that MOBO.
I guess Windows 7 is not gonna happen to me until M-audio has like a driver update because thats all i think can fix it.

why don't you try removing every piece of hardware on your computer that you don't need (just unplug it) this includes all PCI (except GPU if needed), USB, Firewire, and CD-Drives and boot your system up again, go to run and type msconfig, and turn off all startup services and background programs that you absolutely do not need for the computer to run, this includes internet and sound. There was a thread about optimizing windows 7 for pro tools and it goes over the basics for all DAW's/hardware setups, not sure where it is at but you could look for it, but it tells you which processes to turn off and which ones to keep on.

Once you have everything off, run the DPC tester. If the only thing running is your Mobo, OS and startup drivers, with no peripherals connected, there will be no way you get latency spikes, so it should be a matter of turning on one piece at a time to figure out which one is causing it.

Well the only hardware(PCI) I have in my computer is my graphics card and firewire(TI) And i have read that thread about optimizing windows 7 and tried everything there and the only thing i leave turned on is the firewire(which is connected to profire) do i disable that too??

Its wierd though because like i said in the other thread those spikes generally go up when i click on programs in general... lets say i turn on my PC and then i have my profire 2626 connected and i open up the DPC tester i leave running and its all in green, then lets say i open up itune, mozilla, or any program the red spikes come in.. so not really sure what any program has to do with the latency.

BTW i have another PCI firewire card and i switch it with the TI card and same thing happens!

Well the only hardware(PCI) I have in my computer is my graphics card and firewire(TI) And i have read that thread about optimizing windows 7 and tried everything there and the only thing i leave turned on is the firewire(which is connected to profire) do i disable that too??

Its wierd though because like i said in the other thread those spikes generally go up when i click on programs in general... lets say i turn on my PC and then i have my profire 2626 connected and i open up the DPC tester i leave running and its all in green, then lets say i open up itune, mozilla, or any program the red spikes come in.. so not really sure what any program has to do with the latency.

BTW i have another PCI firewire card and i switch it with the TI card and same thing happens!

you just helped me by answering your own question. The latency operates the way it does becuase an OS is not real time-based, and when a process is taking place, one component will send an interrupt before continuing to send data, during the interrupt, your computer will log in all the devices that request o send its data. There is a list of which device requests are the most important. What you are doing by opening other programs is interrupting the sound drivers because the mouse and keyboard inputs are on the top of the priority list. This happens on all computers. If you run the DPC tester and leave your computer alone and just watch it and it stays in the green, then you are fine. The more I do with the tester on the worse the latency gets but I still have to be trying hard to get it even up to the yellow category.

in windows 7, I would recommend that you open your drivers on probably a XP SP2 compatibility if the drivers are having a hard time running on 7 which I have had before. My DSP software and all drivers are running on compatibility mode and have been a lot more stable. I think that is a universal consensus for all windows 7 audio recording users.

I just ordered a pci e firewire card today. will let you know if it helped.

in windows 7, I would recommend that you open your drivers on probably a XP SP2 compatibility if the drivers are having a hard time running on 7 which I have had before. My DSP software and all drivers are running on compatibility mode and have been a lot more stable. I think that is a universal consensus for all windows 7 audio recording users.

So how would i open drivers on a xp compability?

BTW i tried another pc i have in my house.... my non recorded PC(AMD Dual core, 1gb RAM, Windows 7 32bit) and i ran that latency tester and i get absolutly no RED spikes what so ever even by running other programs.:guh:

This is just more confusing now!

I just ordered a pci e firewire card today. will let you know if it helped.

Cool dude but yeah my situation is different because I just took out the FW card and ran the tester and my latency tester still gets red spikes so My problem doesnt hav to do with FW card, something is conflicting which causes these spikes to go up.

ok, let´s pray to our lord and savior that it´s different with me... S H I T

So how would i open drivers on a xp compability?

BTW i tried another pc i have in my house.... my non recorded PC(AMD Dual core, 1gb RAM, Windows 7 32bit) and i ran that latency tester and i get absolutly no RED spikes what so ever even by running other programs.:guh:

This is just more confusing now!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

I am not on my 7 partition at the moment, but the compatibility mode for drivers is the same way, you just have to go into the device manager, find the driver, right click and select properties, there is a compatibility tab on that screen (or at least there should be).

and without us knowing what sort of background drivers and programs you have running, there is no way to know what the hell is causing your spikes, but still my recommendation, don't open other programs or click on shit outside your daw.

Maybe you should disable any power saving technologies on CPU side i.e. lock processor to maximum frequency by disabling EIST (Intel Speed Step) in BIOS?
It can help sometimes. It help me, but with internal PCI card and on XP, so I can only suppose that it can help in this case. Disabling EIST seriously reduced spikes in DPC latency checker.