Prog Power Headliners

Blame Harley, he told me to get those two and work my way back.

Harley is gay...don't work your way back, Amorphis did put out two albums that I would suggest avoiding as a newcomer to the band and those would be the next two you hit working your way back. Personally I would have started out with Eclipse and Elegy, that way you can get the best of their old sound and the best of their new sound. Tuonela is probably the next must have after those two.

It's funny .. this is such a polarizing band, and selection. I think most are willing to give them a shot, but there's a lot of people saying "what the fuck" right now.

Britt

I think the biggest problem with Amorphis is they are such a subtle band that it takes more than a few listens to really hear everything going on with the music. On the surface I don't see how anybody can deny that they write good catchy tunes. They have a pretty unique sound as well, I don't know if they really fit the progpower bill but then again as time progresses it seems like there is less and less of a box for this festival.

Ok, I ordered Silent Waters and Eclipse. I'm gonna get edemucated on Amorphis.
For what it's worth .. Silent Waters was my #1 disc this year, and Eclipse was my #10 last year. I probably like Eclipse a shade better .. it grew on me a lot this year. If you like one you'll probably like the other. Eclipse seems a bit more upbeat than Silent Waters, but all in all the style is pretty similar.

If you want to check out some older, and middle period Amorphis get Chapters. It's a greatest hits deal that covers a decent amount of their early to mid period hits.

Britt

I think the biggest problem with Amorphis is they are such a subtle band that it takes more than a few listens to really hear everything going on with the music.

Well yeah, I mean I shouldn't judge any band on just one listen. I'm always open for some new bands anyways. The announcement just threw me off, last week Astral Doors was playing I was expecting a huge Powermetal band to headline one of the nights. Today, no Astral Doors and a band that I've never heard of is headlining. I think you catch my drift.

Well yeah, I mean I shouldn't judge any band on just one listen. I'm always open for some new bands anyways. The announcement just threw me off, last week Astral Doors was playing I was expecting a huge Powermetal band to headline one of the nights. Today, no Astral Doors and a band that I've never heard of is headlining. I think you catch my drift.

You should have went to progpower III dude.....

and why are we wasting time discussing Amorphis when we could be discussing the amazing Astral Doors.

Holy hell. I'm away for an evening and I miss the news?

Jose, listen to Tony, because I completely agree with him. "Elegy" is the shiznit. I also have "Tuonela" which is solid. I haven't gotten so much into them with the new singer though. I think it's a nice addition to PPUSA, but not enough to make me go. ;-) I've seen Amorphis enough already, and for the record, they always did put on a solid show (with the old vocalist anyway).

Jose, listen to Tony, because I completely agree with him. "Elegy" is the shiznit. I also have "Tuonela" which is solid. I haven't gotten so much into them with the new singer though. I think it's a nice addition to PPUSA, but not enough to make me go. ;-) I've seen Amorphis enough already, and for the record, they always did put on a solid show (with the old vocalist anyway).
The new guy is a badass live. He's got a killer husky growl, and a very solid clean voice. He was real good at Wacken when I saw him, and he's great on a DVD I downloaded from the net. That performance was from Provinssrock .. a Finland fest from 2006. He's got a more aggresive style than Pasi for sure, and overall I like him better.

Britt

Amorphis = dull. I think this will be like the Rage ProgPower appearance. People will be walking out like crazy after a few songs.
I know how to fix that possible issue. Glenn should do his announcement of Prog Power X bands immediately after Amorphis' set. People would hang around the venue for that, and in turn more people would stay in the arena, and watch Amorphis.

Britt

Did you lose the keys to your Internet or something?

I know how to fix that possible issue. Glenn should do his announcement of Prog Power X bands immediately after Amorphis' set. People would hang around the venue for that, and in turn more people would stay in the arena, and watch Amorphis.

Britt

Which to me is worthless, don't give people who don't want to see a band a reason to have to sit through them. I don't know, I guess I'd rather play to a room full of 100 people who want to see me than 1500 people who are only sticking around to hear an announcement. To me that would take away from the performance.

Which to me is worthless, don't give people who don't want to see a band a reason to have to sit through them. I don't know, I guess I'd rather play to a room full of 100 people who want to see me than 1500 people who are only sticking around to hear an announcement. To me that would take away from the performance.
It would give Amorphis a chance to win more people over. A lot of these people will have it in their heads that they are not even going to bother trying them out, or will only listen to a song or two, and then hit the bricks. Perhaps if they have to hang around a while Amorphis will actually get a legit shot to win some people over, and make some new fans. I dunno .. it matters not to me .. I'll be up front enjoying Amorphis.

Britt

The new guy is a badass live. He's got a killer husky growl, and a very solid clean voice. He was real good at Wacken when I saw him, and he's great on a DVD I downloaded from the net. That performance was from Provinssrock .. a Finland fest from 2006. He's got a more aggresive style than Pasi for sure, and overall I like him better.

Britt

I have now visited Amorphis' myspace to actively listen to the "newer tunes". I agree, there is big big BIG aggressiveness to their sound now. Hmmm. I need a notepad a mile long to add this to my endless LIST.
I failed to attend the last Amorphis gig in Chi-town for whatever reason. Perhaps this will be one of my "regrets".