ProgPower Bands 2006

DoomsdayZach said:
I keep losing more and more faith in you folks. First of all new rock boots are silly, then nevermore is overrated? Absolutel blasphemy! I know that my oppinion is no more or less valid than anyone else's, but to call nevermore overrated is just downright absurd.
No, Dream Theater; people are thinking of Dream Theater. But don't tell anyone it'll be our little secret!

- OMG small text pwns all n00bs

Man, Nevermore is one band that deserves every ounce of praise they get. Talk about a truly unique, extremely talented metal band. No one sounds like Nevermore and they're one of very few bands who can claim appeal across a very broad spectrum of metal fans. How does a band go on tour with Hypocrisy and Dimmu Borgir, and now get booked on a progressive/powermetal festival, and still get received highly in both settings? I for one, am extremely happy and very anxious to see those guys flatten Earthlink at PP :headbang:

I have been an Evergrey fan, I guess it's their style that appeals to me.
I haven't been able to get into Nevermore. I totally agree with Matt though. They are incredibly talented and unique in many ways. But their music doesn't hold my attention, and I can't explain why. My son says they are amazing live, best show he has ever seen.

I stand with Yngvai and DDay Zach on the Nevermore issue. Nevermore will kick you in the buttix. (And by you, I dont mean any one specific person, but just an imaginary character for the sake of direction.)

Not sure why anyone's calling Nevermore overrated... Don't you have to be popular to even be considered overrated? :p

That being said, I can understand why some people dislike Warrel's vocals. He's definitely an acquired taste. I've personally grown to love them and think he's gotten better each time I've seen them live (which could also be due to him laying off the alcohol). His lyrics are pretty intelligent too, certainly better than what most metal acts are writing these days.

Even if you don't like the band, you can't deny the talented man that is Jeff Loomis. His guitarin' is pretty sick. And Smyth's not too shabby either. ;)

Oh, and I seem to recall reading in an interview or something that they're Symphony X fans themselves, so that's pretty cool.

Ascension said:
I agree with Nevermore being overrated...saw them on Gigantour...a total waste of stage space. I like Evergrey however they've done ProgPower to death, but the choir & orchestra should make it interesting. Would like to see Wastefall, but they're on Sat. bill. I'll be picking up a single ticket for Fri to see Pyramaze & Evergrey....should be easy to get & cheap.

Evergrey has done ProgPower to death? You are wrong. They have released 2 albums since their last time at PP. There are plenty of bands that tour with much less new material. And it's not like they've done any headlining tours in the US.

So, if you are an Evergrey fan and live in the US, how do you suggest one goes about seeing them headline, if not for PP? Glenn does us a favor by bringing them in and one-up's himself by adding choir and orchestra. Evergrey can play PP every year as far as I am concerned. They have plenty of material, and basically define what PP is all about, in my opinion. If you have attended PP then you know what I'm talking about. If you havent, then you probably dont understand why Evergrey is always welcome...

DoomsdayZach said:
They are too busy putting out more shitty albums.

Believe me, i love Prison of Desire and Decipher. They were spectacular, but since Mark left to form Epica, the band has gone downhill... Invisible Circles was abysmal. At least Epica is a satisfactory rip-off band.

AF's music is still far more interesting then Epica's...I have yet to listen thru an entire epica CD, I usually get bored around track 2....oh, and sadly enough, the same thing happened when I got Stream of Passion...:cry:

It would be a real treat to see Evergrey though, since there rarely in the US...one of the few bands that I own every album too...It would also be a real treat to see Mattias Ia Eklundh...:worship:

Seeing Nevermore too would be cool, but there constantly around doing shows and tours. Speaking of nevermore, I was just at the CD store the other day and got DHIADW and Dreaming Neon Black for $20..now that collection is finnished too....

RobbM said:
Seeing Nevermore too would be cool, but there constantly around doing shows and tours. Speaking of nevermore, I was just at the CD store the other day and got DHIADW and Dreaming Neon Black for $20..now that collection is finnished too....

True, but how often are they doing headlining shows?

RobbM said:
AF's music is still far more interesting then Epica's...I have yet to listen thru an entire epica CD, I usually get bored around track 2....oh, and sadly enough, the same thing happened when I got Stream of Passion...:cry:

I think i can agree with you there to an extent. I think that After Forever's first two discs far surpass anything since then, both AF and Epica. But if we're going from current goings on, it's Epica all the way for me.

The line up doesn't look to shabby...i'd be keen to see FK, Mercenary and Wastefall most off that lineup if i was anywhere near the USA...but Evergrey, Nevermore and Savage Circus are all really bloody good too.

You yanks are lucky cunts.

I am tired of people complaining about progpower only being in Atlanta and not anywhere else. You guy are luckier in the long run becuase you get tons and tons of shows from all kinds of acts all year round. Here in the southeast region we BARELY get any good shows and progpower is the only real good show we get all year round. Too bad this years lineup is unappealing to me. I love Evergrey but I don't think they are a great live band, plus they have played there a few times already.