ProgPower USA on Wikipedia

Anyone and everyone can write. It posts more or less immediately, but there are editors who look it over. Meaning, you can add anything that may have been omited or edit anything that needs editing.

Harvester said:
Anyone have a clue who writes these thing up? I have no idea how it got there, but I like the description for those that have never heard of the fest.

The description fails to acknowledge that the promoter holds kittens hostage in exchange for ticket sales. Maybe somebody could add that fact. :D

Anyone can edit or add stuff... I don't know how "accurate" the history is, though, because I added some of the stuff on there and all you see is an IP address. :)

There was recently some big hullabaloo about the accuracy of the information because of their policies on who can add or edit entries, but frankly, I've never had a problem with it, and I've used some of the information in research projects for work.

Shaye

lady_space said:
Anyone can edit or add stuff... I don't know how "accurate" the history is, though, because I added some of the stuff on there and all you see is an IP address.

If a user is logged in when doing the editing, the history will show the user's name. If the user is editing as a guest without being logged in, the history will show IP address.

I love wikipedia. I have my hands in several articles, although I don't believe PPUSA is one of them. The self-moderation of the site's content seems to work pretty good.

That's cool that PPUSA on the Wikipedia. So are most or all of the bands that we talk about here on the forum. They even have bands listed by their specific genre or sub genre of metal. But, I give it till about the end of the day, for it to be re-edited with info about Glenn, the Pre-Party, Corset night, Maria, etc...:D Seriously, I'm going to check it again, after I get back from work (after midnight).

Hell, even the Atlanta Journal-Constitution* has credited Wikipedia as a source......which either says good things about Wikipedia or bad things about the AJC. Probably both.

The Wikipedia entry on Therion is particularly informative.

---
* known as the Urinal-Constipation east of the Rockies

It relies on articles created by its own users. As such, Therion's article is, as pointed out, very informative, but on the other hand, Angra's article is limited to listing its current lineup, former members and discography, and the comment that they are from Brazil. Not many details, but anyone that wants to can add them.

The 'discussion' tab is also an interesting Wikipedia feature.

Pellaz said:
Hell, even the Atlanta Journal-Constitution* has credited Wikipedia as a source......which either says good things about Wikipedia or bad things about the AJC. Probably both.

---
* known as the Urinal-Constipation east of the Rockies

The AJC isn't fit to line a litter box. Wikipedia might not want to acknowledge that credit. :)

--Mike

Jurakan said:
It relies on articles created by its own users. As such, Therion's article is, as pointed out, very informative, but on the other hand, Angra's article is limited to listing its current lineup, former members and discography, and the comment that they are from Brazil. Not many details, but anyone that wants to can add them.

Well, I for one, tend to stay on the concise side of things because I want to be certain what I'm writing is factual and not opinion (i.e., that's why PP "has a wide reputation for" kicking ass rather than just kicking ass. :D). I'd imagine this is true for lots of others as well, but certainly, details can be added and still stay within the realm of the factual.

That Therion article is definitely something else!

Jurakan said:
The 'discussion' tab is also an interesting Wikipedia feature.

Agreed.