ProgPower USA XV: SOLD-OUT

Awesome. Interestingly, Strato and Oliva's Pain(well, technically WMD) both headlined sellouts last time they were here. Great to see they still have the drawing power.

You put forward a great lineup and people will come. I had moved to Atlanta in 2011, but I did not attend the 2011 or 2012 shows as there weren't any bands that attracted my interest. I went to the 2013 Saturday show largely because of Sabaton, although I was very impressed by the other bands, particularly Armored Saint.

I also wonder how much of the sell-out was the factor of fans saying "This might be the last PPUSA Festival, so I'd better get there."

Personally this is the best lineup I've ever seen. It's as though Glenn took my playlist and said "I'll bet he'd like this band, this band, and hmmm yeah he'd like this one too" :Smokin:

You put forward a great lineup and people will come. I had moved to Atlanta in 2011, but I did not attend the 2011 or 2012 shows as there weren't any bands that attracted my interest. I went to the 2013 Saturday show largely because of Sabaton, although I was very impressed by the other bands, particularly Armored Saint.

I also wonder how much of the sell-out was the factor of fans saying "This might be the last PPUSA Festival, so I'd better get there."

Interesting points. As someone who has gone every year from 2001 onwards, my perspective is probably different, in the sense that for people who have been going for a long time, it often becomes such an enjoyable event that the specific band selection from year-to-year is not the absolute deciding factor on whether to attend... as it is (and should be) for first-time attendees. So I have to ask... while the band lineup is (very logically) the primary factor in whether you decide to go in 2014, did your overall experience in 2013 (aside from the specific bands which were playing) affect your perspective at all, or have any degree of effect on whether you decide to return?

It is 3rd. You have to remember it was a totally different era back when the big boys made their U.S. debuts at the fest over a decade ago.

PP IV sold out in 4 days.
PP III sold in 10 days.
PP XV sold in 1 month.

However, this is by far the earliest we have ever sold-out in terms of the date as tickets for III & IV did not go on sale until the spring.

Didn't ProgPower VI (in 2005) sell out in like three days as well? I clearly remember getting tickets in March and camping at the TicketBastard website to make sure I scored a pair, and then seeing that it was sold out very shortly afterwards. That was like my first one and remember wanting to go just to go see Stratovarius. Funny how things seems to come full circle now that I'll be sponsoring Stratovarius! :D

Anyway, awesome that the show sold out. I mean, seriously, if that lineup did NOT sell out, than there is something seriously wrong in my opinion.

Interesting points. As someone who has gone every year from 2001 onwards, my perspective is probably different, in the sense that for people who have been going for a long time, it often becomes such an enjoyable event that the specific band selection from year-to-year is not the absolute deciding factor on whether to attend... as it is (and should be) for first-time attendees. So I have to ask... while the band lineup is (very logically) the primary factor in whether you decide to go in 2014, did your overall experience in 2013 (aside from the specific bands which were playing) affect your perspective at all, or have any degree of effect on whether you decide to return?

That is a very good question. I will say that this year was not my first time, as I had attended the 2007 PPUSA fest, as I was living in Knoxville at the time. That lineup was truly powerhouse, with several bands I really wanted to see at the time. Threshold, Virgin Steele and Primal Fear were the big attractions for me. However, I was also very impressed by Sonata Arctica and After Forever. And the all-star jam was amazing.

I moved away from Knoxville in mid 2008, and thus I missed that edition, which I also would have attended, if only for JOP and Iced Earth. It wasn't until 2011 that I finally returned to the south on a permanent basis, but it took until 2013 for at least one band that I wanted to see live again: Sabaton.

But my experience this year was great, even for the Saturday show, as I had other commitments on Friday. Although I went for Sabaton, I was impressed by Armored Saint and Circus Maximus. Plus, I did enjoy the atmosphere, the signings, and the shitload of CD's that I was able to get very cheaply on clearance prices late Saturday.

However, given how much tickets cost, I'm not certain I'd go unless there was at least one or two bands that I wanted to see. $150 is a lot of money for me, even given that it is a 2 day event that is only that is only 20 minutes away, and the 2011 and 2012 editions just didn't have bands that I knew enough to pay that much money to see. On the other hand, I did catch one of the Nightwish/Kamelot kickoff shows for last year's festival, and I certainly would have gone to one of those festivals if either band had been part of the festival proper.

But again, kudos for a very good lineup. While it isn't as awesome up and down as the 2007 show, there are three bands that I am looking forward to seeing: JOP, Overkill and Stratovarius.

PPUSA XV will be my third show. I had wanted to go since 2009 but had scheduling conflicts that were unresolvable (unless divorce was an option...it was not). Prior to that, I was not really listening to all that much metal so I did not know of ProgPowerUSA.

:(

I am evidently in the minority. As special as the 2014 edition will be with all of the exclusive performances, this line up does not excite me as much as the last two years. I still bought my ticket on 10/1/13 as soon as I got in from work.

:headbang:

My experiences from the past two festivals sold me more than the line up (which is excellent again this year). So long as Glenn and Jen keep scheduling a metal festival, I will be there. Automatically. The event is just that fantastic.

:worship:

My experiences from the past two festivals sold me more than the line up (which is excellent again this year). So long as Glenn and Jen keep scheduling a metal festival, I will be there. Automatically. The event is just that fantastic.

After the first couple of years I attended, it became a mandatory event to the point that the specific lineup was almost secondary.

After the first couple of years I attended, it became a mandatory event to the point that the specific lineup was almost secondary.

After 1 year, this is now what my tax refund is designated for every year. Mandatory, indeed. :)

This. I went once and said "well, how the hell could that be the only time?" This coming year will be my 7th consecutive.

First of all - many congratulations to Glenn and Jen!!!!

Second of all - thanx to Glenn for keeping us apprised of the ticket situation. If not for your updates, I may have missed the boat!!!!

Third of all - what made this sell out so quickly?? The economy?? The combo of PoS, STREETS, Strato and Overkill??

Just curious - I have been going since PP V and I can't remember it selling out this quickly.

Chris :headbang: