Progressive Metal In Video Games?

Mustang

The Edge
Sep 15, 2006
Tremont, IL
www.eternity-x.com
I was just wondering how many of you ever thought it would be nice to hear progressive metal in a video game?
I know sometimes it would be hard to fit the mood with some of the songs. However I know several that would also fit many differnt styles of games.
On the few Xbox games that let you play your own music while in game I have done this several times.

What are your thoughts?

I was just wondering how many of you ever thought it would be nice to hear progressive metal in a video game?
I know sometimes it would be hard to fit the mood with some of the songs. However I know several that would also fit many differnt styles of games.
On the few Xbox games that let you play your own music while in game I have done this several times.

What are your thoughts?

I kind of thought there's been prog metal in games like castlevania and such. It's not used very often and it usually is instrumental pieces, but I seem to remember final fantasy games having music that certainly could have been considered progressive IMO. what do you think?

I kind of thought there's been prog metal in games like castlevania and such. It's not used very often and it usually is instrumental pieces, but I seem to remember final fantasy games having music that certainly could have been considered progressive IMO. what do you think?

I certainly would like there to be a bit more ideas in Final fantasy's music
I'm getting sick of hearing the same theme over and over again.....the new one I've got about 50 hours into already and I'm just turning the sound way down on because of the annoyance factor ; )

I think progressive metal's main influence was video game music. It is probably unconscious for many, but the reason I started to write music was because I loved the music in The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, and even the more power metal music of the Mega Man games. I was recently listening to stuff that I wrote back when I was ten or so and it all sounded like (quite horrible) video game music. But, that is no doubt an influence, because I met a lot of other progressive metalers played a lot of video games as a child (and even now).

There was a recent study that shows that the fans of progressive rock / metal tend to be the same people that are the ones that play the most video games and do the best in school. I wish I could find the source; I just heard from my aunt the other day about this. But, I find it interesting and very true.

I think progressive metal's main influence was video game music. It is probably unconscious for many, but the reason I started to write music was because I loved the music in The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, and even the more power metal music of the Mega Man games. I was recently listening to stuff that I wrote back when I was ten or so and it all sounded like (quite horrible) video game music. But, that is no doubt an influence, because I met a lot of other progressive metalers played a lot of video games as a child (and even now).

There was a recent study that shows that the fans of progressive rock / metal tend to be the same people that are the ones that play the most video games and do the best in school. I wish I could find the source; I just heard from my aunt the other day about this. But, I find it interesting and very true.

Gregg,
your mission should you accept it, is to track down those video game publishers ; ) Let's make some money lol:headbang:

Somebody recently created a thread identical to this and I asked the question of: what was the name of the video game that recently came out that had death metal as the soundtrack(it was a racecar battle game)and nobody knew.
anyone know what im talking bout'? seems like it would own! great concept

Hmm I wonder if they come with a singing game soon :p...(not stupid singstar but more metal-like)
Gonna be though for the neighbours with a bunch of guys screaming and grunting to some metal :headbang:

Lately I've been playing Castlevania 2 again...the music in there sounds like metal riffs allright.

By the way..lately ordered some Pyramaze at Nightmare and I was very pleased with the service.
Oh, and I dig the vocals a lot! I'm a vocalist myself so I can appreciate a good allround singer with a unique voice :kickass:

I guess it would depend on the type of video games they are. In my younger days I loved video games but I don't really care for them all that much!

Metal Warrior48

Tell you what Lance, If you agree to hang out with me sometime I'll try and use some of my connections to get in touch with some video game publishers for you ;) . (I'd do it regardless LOL). I've found the info on how to contact some of these in the past. Not sure what kinda results I'd get. But I'll try . I was going to be attempting this for Eternity X if they ever get this dang album finished. LOL (I don't like to wait )

Also, I know that some games have had simmilar. But I want real, "TRUE" progmetal with vocals and all. I was playing Final Fantasy Ten a while back and forgot and left my CD player on playing some progmetal and it just fit. Now sadly I've not had the money to pick up FF12. So I'm not sure how well things will work with the new styles. But I'm sure there are alot of games out there that would work.

For example I once played Need for Speed under Ground two on my x box with Eternity X Viper II playing . That was great to race to . Much better than the playlist on the game it's self.