Video Games.....

The only single-player game I play (or used to play) is Tetris. And no, not the crappy nintendo pirate nes and gameboy versions, eww. Other than that, single-player games are so boring... Tetris is good for relaxing.

Also, I maintain that counterstrike is bad for the soul. Very very bad.

I KNOW!

I'd say Starcon2 was so ahead of it's time - except that even today, noone has managed to match it's incredible depth. When I used to sit around as a child with my little friends and talk about video games we always concluded that the greatest video game ever would be the one that allows the most freedom, that has the most "you can literally do whatever you like" style to it, because that ultimately meets the escapist point of video games to a tee. Although you can't do *anything* in Starcon2, you certainly can play the game within itself in the most non-linear fashion, with the most expansive "self" of any game I've ever played. And the HUMOUR in that game... the *happy camper enjoying the sauce* stuff still cracks me up, nevermind the repopulating of the entire Shofixti race from one gruff Captain and the menagerie-bought Shofixti maidens... heheheh.

The most amazing thing is that that video game takes up 8 MB of hard disk space and requires a whopping 4 MB of RAM to run.

Yeah, I used to play a lot of computer games. I still play a few games, but alas pretty much 99,9% of the published games are crap. :/ How difficult can it be to create something like "Dungeon Master"? :s

The latest game I'm playing is Operation Flashpoint.

Yeah to bad that Star Control 3 sucked. That game did not make me a happy camper.

I was always so impressed by Star Control 2 because usually the more invovled the story is in an RPG the more linear the game play becomes. This game is the exact opposite.

I was one of the few people that purchased a 3DO, so I played through Star Control 2 on that. I don't know if you've ever seen the 3DO version, but it's really cool. It's exactly the same as the PC version except they got voice actors for all of the dialogue. Now that probably sounds like a bad thing but this is the only game that I've played that all of the voice acting is excellant. I shit you not, its sounds perfect for everyone of the aliens and gives the game a little for atmosphere. You haven't experienced talking to an arilou, or orz, or even an ur-quan till you've heard them in there real voice. The 3DO version also has a cool animation at the very beginning and very end of the game.

BTW has anyone here played the Lunar games? Those are also two amazing RPGs.

WOW. I knew there was a 3DO version, but I never saw it played.

The pkunk and the zoq-fot-pik must have been pretty amusing to actually listen to. It's strange, because I myself mentally invented little accents for all of the races in my head (something I probably do for any game involving text dialogue) that would probably be shattered by hearing the audio, but I'm probably going to have to now.

Heh... how easy is it, do you think, to find a 3DO and a copy of SC2 for it nowadays?

Actually, now that I'm reminded of all this Starcon2 stuff, I have to go play it...

:headbang: ...Hey, cool new smilies... :devil:

Hey hosurhellspawn, your the only person i know besides myself that likes final fantasy 8. I havent beaten that game yet though but i will eventually. I play games on and off. Im not a hardcore gamer but i play games more then the average joe. RPGS i like are the FF series, Shenmue (i love that fuckin game!!!!!!), Blade Runner (this game kicks major ass) Grandia II, Albion, and some others. Anybody else here like shenmue. That game is so bieutiful all around. GREATNESS!

A 3DO will probably be kind of hard to find. The only place I can think to look is eBay. But if you do find one is will probably be really cheap.

It's ashame that 3DO never really took off. It was a great system and they made some really good games for it. There were alot of older PC games thats were never made for any other system that were released on 3DO. Such as Star Con2 and Alone in the Dark(Resident Evil eat your heart out).

my fav rpgs would be tactics ogre final fantasy tactics secret of mana finaly fantasy 3 and super mario rpg....other games castlevania (the whole series)and alot of games from the sega days..(2 best being shanobi 2 and ghostbusters)

Hey Spikes have you played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? IMO thats the best castlevania games and the best game on playstation. 2d side scrolling rpgs rule! And I always thought Symphony of the Night would be a cool name for an album...

Originally posted by winter-frost
Age of Empires 2 is the greatest game of all time, Baldurs Gate comes in at close second. I can't even believe how many hours I played AOE2 on the net. It is so time comsuming, one game lasts atleast 1 hour sometimes more than 3.

Yeah AOE2 rules, especially the expansion. Can't wait for Age of Mythology, looks like its going to be killer.

I'm a huge CRPG fan and consider myself a veteran of this genre.
I think that Planescape:Torment is the best crpg ever made because of the story and characters.The man who created the game, Guido Henkel is a genius. I would really like to play another game designed by him. Other favourites are Betrayal at Krondor (great classic), the Thief and System Shock games and of course, Deus Ex. As you may have already guessed, I think atmosphere is the most important aspect of computer games. If the game really makes me think that I'm in that damn space vessel or in a dark dungeon, I think it's a success.

yeah castlevania sotn its one of my fav games of all time..the way theres rpgs elements in it.. the castle turns upside down what a great game..ive played every castlevania game exepct the ones on game boy(original)..my brother has the one for game boy advance circle of the moon and that game kicks ass too. they should come out with a 2d one for ps2...or mabey bring it to 3d the right way...the last couple of 3d casltlevania games have been lackluster.

I can't stand when people think throwing a game into 3d makes it better regardless. I prefer 2d games when it comes to fighting games, platform games, and RTS games. Now sometimes they do a nice job making it 3d, such as mario64 or homeworld, EVEN then the games still had their 3d caused flaws, but then again they wouldn't be what they were if they were 2d. I wish they'd make another 2d mario or sonic game, those are always great.

I think the game depends on the game play, it dosn't matter if it is 3d or not. I sometimes like 2d better if it fits the game better, or I like 3d if it fits, it all depends...

My favorite types are generally RPG's & Strategies. FF 7-9 were good, but I'm hooked on Warcraft II right now. I can't wait until part 3 comes out!

"We're being attacked!"

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention two Thief games. (cheers Traveler! :p) They're the best and most atmospheric games I've played.

- "I'm going to the bear pits tomorrow.. wanna come with?"
- "Naah, naah..."

Hehe. :p

brother elf....i play war2 too....do u play on bnet? if so what r ur names? it would be kool to play with a fellow opeth fan.

Hi there Orchid. It's really good to know that other people enjoyed playing the Thief series. Did you know that Looking Glass, the producers of the games has been shut down because of financial problems? But some people from the team are now working on Thief 3 under the watchful eye of Warren Spector (Ultima Underworld, the original Thief, Deus Ex...)? Isn't that great?

Originally posted by Traveler
Did you know that Looking Glass, the producers of the games has been shut down because of financial problems?

Yeah I knew it, the blame is on Eidos and John Carmack's "Daikaktana". I didn't know that they're still doing something.. coolness.