Pros and hobbyists: Best environment (acoustically) for micing a cab?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I know there are a good amount of pros here, yet a good amount of small-time guys that also get great guitar tones.

In your opinion, what is the ideal acoustic environment for recording heavy guitar? I know Andy said he prefers recording in a "deadish" room.

To us that do not all have pro treated live rooms, what is our next best option? If I was to buy some sound deadening panels, what would be the best spot for them?

My "control room" is a spare bedroom, but my regular bedroom is small and pretty dead sounding. I'm thinking of micing in there. It has no echo whatsoever. I suppose I can benefit from some panels.

I'm not trying to half-ass acoustic treatment here, I'm just trying to optimize this situation on a budget. I'm already getting usable guitar tones, but want to make them the best possible for my needs.

Cheers

-Joe

One thing that I liked the sound of when I tried it is putting three chairs around the mic (forming a square, with the cab being one of the sides, and with the backs of the chairs facing in), and draping a heavy blanket inside them - seemed to make it more full, but I haven't tried it for AWHILE, so maybe now that a lot of my n00bness has been dispelled I wouldn't like it as much...

Surround the cab with some form of relatively dense pourous material, like open cell foam, thick ass blankets and most effectively rockwool.

Metaltastic- I've done that loads of times. It works :) I think it actually creates a limp membrane trap as well as just normal absorbtion, but I'm not 100 percent sure thats right.

If you can only partially surround it the front is most important obv.

Joe