PT: How to "sum" master bus output to track?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I'm in PT LE 8.5. I always use bounce to disk. I know there's a way to record the master bus output to a stereo track, I just can't figure it out. Trying to record the master output so I can merge it with a screen capture I'm trying to make for reference.

It works with a stereo track going into another stereo track to record, just tried it with guitars, but the master bus going to the same bus doesn't record.

Instead of having the outputs of all your tracks and busses set to main out 1-2 have it as a buss instead. I always mix through an aux and record to a stereo track in session. Sounds better imo and a few are inclined to agree.

On Reaper, you can just set a bus to Record:Output, and so it records its own output, so it doubles everything up. This is good for playing about with mastering, and switching between seperate masters you do to see which one works.

Assuming you aren't using a bunch of auxes, ALT-click the output of one of the channels and change it to an unused bus (lets say 31-32). This should change all of the tracks at once. Then go to your master bus and change it to bus 31-32. Then create your new stereo track and change it's input to bus 31-32 but make sure it's output is set to whatever your main out is. Record arm it and either hit the "i" button or option+k to enable input monitoring.

Assuming you aren't using a bunch of auxes, ALT-click the output of one of the channels and change it to an unused bus (lets say 31-32). This should change all of the tracks at once. Then go to your master bus and change it to bus 31-32. Then create your new stereo track and change it's input to bus 31-32 but make sure it's output is set to whatever your main out is. Record arm it and either hit the "i" button or option+k to enable input monitoring.

Thanks, I'll try that. Weird that PT won't allow recording from the master fader though.

So I disabled my master fader, created a new stereo track, moved all my master bus plugs from master bus to new stereo track, and set that track's input as the bus I have all the other tracks now routed to. I also set the output to 1/2, am I doing this wrong? No sound happens unless I record, and when I record there's definitely something weird going on, some weird phase issue or something...

I think what you're not getting is that you need the masterfader to correspond to the same output as your tracks. If you have a masterfader and change it's output to a bus I believe it becomes a master only for that bus so you still have to change all of your tracks to feed that bus. If you just create a new track and put the MB chain on it that chain will be monitored but not recorded.

I think what you're not getting is that you need the masterfader to correspond to the same output as your tracks. If you have a masterfader and change it's output to a bus I believe it becomes a master only for that bus so you still have to change all of your tracks to feed that bus. If you just create a new track and put the MB chain on it that chain will be monitored but not recorded.

Ok so after reading this I re-enabled the original master fader, I still have all tracks routed to a stereo bus named "Sum". This master fader is set to "Sum" as the output, and I then have a stereo track set up to record the output, with the input as Sum and the output as 1/2. When I try doing this, there's a horrible hiss noise that comes up. Really no idea what I'm doing wrong here.

Create an Aux, name this 2BUSS.

Assign a pair of busses (I usually use the last pair) to the input of that aux, and rename those busses "2BUSS" as well so that they are easier to find. Then assign the output of that Aux to the same output you would assign to your Master fader.

Assign all of the outputs to the tracks you would send to the master output to the 2BUSS.

Then use a post-fader send (or pre fader if you don't do any automation on the 2BUSS) from the 2BUSS to another audio track for printing.

Done and done.