PT warm up gig (cambridge uk) - New material

Kir-ir-Bannog

...no ordinary rabbit
Jul 2, 2004
Cambridge, UK
I went to see Porcupine Tree at Cambridge Junction last night for their warm up gig for the upcoming tour. There was no support act and so it was a real treat to hear them play for 2 whole hours.
The first hour was entirely new stuff. SW apologised before playing that it was the first time they had played the tracks at a gig and thus might sound a bit amateurish, it certainly didnt show. The new stuff is awesome. Dark, quite a lot heavier (apart from one track which was acoustic based), very atmospheric and songs at least 8 mins long. In fact, the best song clocked in at 17 minutes. SW has started to accompany Richard on the synths for a few of the new ones and it adds more texture and depth to their sound. Every new song was celebrated with a roar from the crowd that im not used to hearing at a PT gig, i think people were quite blown away, even the old rockers in the audience.

One thing i noticed was that SW was totally rocking out to a lot of the new stuff, i kind of got the impression he was trying to get the crowd moving about a bit. I got the feeling that a lot of people wanted to, but didn't feel like the "right thing to do" at a PT gig.

After a 5 min break they were back for some familiar tracks, from what i can remember they played:

Open Car/Sound of Muzak/Buying New Soul/Arriving Somewhere But Not Here/Mother And Child Divided/.3/Start of Something Beautiful/Trains/
Encore: Halo/Blackest Eyes

Open Car and .3 were my fav tracks that night...I even enjoyed them more than Trains, which i didn't think was possible.

I would encourage anyone to go and see them on this tour, they are getting better and better live. I took two mates along who were not familiar with any of their stuff and they were extremely impressed.

I missed that :lol:

I just don't like the metal influences in PT because most of their 'metalish' riffs don't sound heavy, just bland and instead of adding to the music they flatten it... Hard to explain actually but PT evolving into a metal act is pretty :erk:ish to me

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
I went to see Porcupine Tree at Cambridge Junction last night for their warm up gig for the upcoming tour. There was no support act and so it was a real treat to hear them play for 2 whole hours.
The first hour was entirely new stuff. SW apologised before playing that it was the first time they had played the tracks at a gig and thus might sound a bit amateurish, it certainly didnt show. The new stuff is awesome. Dark, quite a lot heavier (apart from one track which was acoustic based), very atmospheric and songs at least 8 mins long. In fact, the best song clocked in at 17 minutes. SW has started to accompany Richard on the synths for a few of the new ones and it adds more texture and depth to their sound. Every new song was celebrated with a roar from the crowd that im not used to hearing at a PT gig, i think people were quite blown away, even the old rockers in the audience.

One thing i noticed was that SW was totally rocking out to a lot of the new stuff, i kind of got the impression he was trying to get the crowd moving about a bit. I got the feeling that a lot of people wanted to, but didn't feel like the "right thing to do" at a PT gig.

After a 5 min break they were back for some familiar tracks, from what i can remember they played:

Open Car/Sound of Muzak/Buying New Soul/Arriving Somewhere But Not Here/Mother And Child Divided/.3/Start of Something Beautiful/Trains/
Encore: Halo/Blackest Eyes

Open Car and .3 were my fav tracks that night...I even enjoyed them more than Trains, which i didn't think was possible.

I would encourage anyone to go and see them on this tour, they are getting better and better live. I took two mates along who were not familiar with any of their stuff and they were extremely impressed.

what cracks me up about Steven Wilson and his ego...is that about 3-4 years ago the term "metal" was a dirty word to him. Metal fans were ignorant and dumb "toughguys" who had no sense of musicality and little to no validity to him. But now Steven Wilson has the hard-rock/metal bug BAD, and now its ok to like metal and have metal elements in PT's music and enjoy the metal genre (as long as its the forward thinking metal bands he likes).

^really? I thought Steven went metal when he and Mikeal started dating.

I read an interview in which Wilson said that he always liked metal, that he grew up with some NWOBHM scene bands like Judas Priest, and he said that he never stopped loving it...but he dismissed the genre for years calling it: ''music for teenagers'', because he was only exposed to the mainstream nu metal stuff...but when he started listening to Opeth and Meshuggah, the Metulhead inside of him was reborn \0/...i don't mind the metal influences, In Absentia is one of the most fantastic albums ever made imo, and Deadwing is pretty good too.

I prefer Deadwing to In Absentia.
I'm going to the Astoria gig, anyone know if they will be recording the dvd at that show? (or will it just be every show on the tour)

BRI said:
I prefer Deadwing to In Absentia.
I'm going to the Astoria gig, anyone know if they will be recording the dvd at that show? (or will it just be every show on the tour)

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. The DVD has already been recorded (i think it was recorded in chicago Oct 2005). The purpose of the current tour is to support the upcoming release of the DVD and to introduce material from the next album...at least that is how i understood it.

Im also considering going to the astoria gig, as last night was really something special.

I just saw Porcupine Tree in Antwerp last night....absoulutely mind blowing!
Front and center, plenty of contact with the band it was so great!
The new stuff is heavy and catchy, lyrics are powerful and have depth.
Seeing the show just made me want the new album even more.
The other half of the show was still amazing. Their sound was tight and filled with little improves to catch you off guard....ina good way. The sound was amazing as well. :worship:
just awesome...oh and if you go, be sure to buy the new DVD at the merchandise stand. :Smug:

NineFeetUnderground said:
what cracks me up about Steven Wilson and his ego...is that about 3-4 years ago the term "metal" was a dirty word to him. Metal fans were ignorant and dumb "toughguys" who had no sense of musicality and little to no validity to him. But now Steven Wilson has the hard-rock/metal bug BAD, and now its ok to like metal and have metal elements in PT's music and enjoy the metal genre (as long as its the forward thinking metal bands he likes).

Hey, I felt the exact same way a few years ago, myself.

While i'd like to see a return to the more progressive/space rock stuff they used to play, I still enjoy the new direction he's going in.

they don't have to return to what they used to play... let them just drop the metal influences because they suck at writing metal riffs imo