Punk/Alt Rock/Metal. Real drums, Jcm800 Guitars

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Here's a master I just got back from a mix I did recently for an interesting band I've been recording. They're an odd mix, kinda like progressive hardcore punk band with some alt rock and metal thrown in for good measure. They're a 3 piece, drummer is the singer!
I tracked and mixed it, it was mastered by Nada recording studios.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1547445/We Come in Pieces/Beefy Clyro Master.wav

Drums are almost totally natural with a small bit of sample augmentation on the snare. It was a C&C kit. Kick was a 24inch aand really deep. Kick was Beta 52 in, D6 out. Snare was I5 on top, 57 on bottom. Toms were a D2 and D4. Oktavas for Oh's and hats and ride were spot miced with an audix f15 and Rode Nt1. Used a t bone rb100 ribbon mic for the room nic which ended up geting used a decent amount in the mix.

Bass is a mix of a Little labs Redeye Di and my Hafler tube guitar pre on clean channel. Also blended in a distortion track for parts I put together with plugins. Can't remember what I used on that, it was a combination of things and heavily EQ'd.

Guitars were an Epi LP (stock pups) through my Ts7 boosted jcm800 2204 '82 through a Harley Benton v30 loaded 2X12. Miced with a 57 and an Audix D2, both about the same volume on the mix. Varied from double tracked to quad tracked depending on the riff.

Recorded with Presonus Firepods. Mixed in Reaper.

I'm pretty happy with it, it was mixed pretty quickly to get ready for the bands upcoming tour and the band are delighted with it. What do ye think?

Yeah the snare was a bit of bother when we were tracking with it, played around with the tuning of it as it was tuned very low when we miced it first. It was the C&C kits snare.