Punk AS F#*!

WILKS

Sep 9, 2002
Underground
Visit site
Last time i spoke to pax at the Astoria gig i said i was gonna do this thread.My background in music is as much punk as it is metal.Now days you will find me listening to rap,soul, blues,dance and evan jazz.but my roots are metal and punk.So for Pax and anyone who ghives a shit here are the punk tunes i thin everyone should own.
For this list i am only going to use UK punk between 1976 and 1979.If there is any interest in this thread i will be more than happy to do a list 60s punk and 80s onwards but thats up to you lot.Last of all these are song I think are great.If there is a song that you think should be on there and isnt tuff shit.

1 The Damned:New Rose
2 The Clash:White Riot
3 The Adverts:Gary Gilmore's Eyes
4 Stiff Little Fingers:Wasted Life
5 UK Subs:Stranglehold
6 The Saints:Im stranded
7 Buzzcocks:What Do I Get
8 Sex Pistols:God Save The Queen
9 The Clash:Stay Free
10 X Ray Specs:Oh Bondage Up Yours
11 The Jam:In The City
12 Alternative Tv:Action Time Vision
13 Joy Division:Warsaw
14The Fall:Bingo Master
15 Stiff Littlle Fingers:Suspect Device
16 Buzzcocks:Ever Fallen In LOve..........
17 Ian Dury:Sex And Drugs And Rock n Roll
18 Sham 69:Borstall Beakout
19 The Ruts:Your In A Rut
20 The Damned :Neat Neat Neat
21 Sex Pistols:Holidays In The Sun
22 The Clash:Safe Eurpopean Home
23The Crass Big A Little A
24 Angelic Upstarts:Im An Upstart
25 Sex Pistols:Anarchy In The UK

Well there you go I think these songs are the dogs bollox.I could do another 25 but this is a good starter.Enjoy.

WILKS

I quite like a lot of punk songs but you missed my alltime favourite one off your list Wilksy. What about the mindblowing:-

Carter USM (Unstoppable Sex Machine) - After The Watershed.

That song rocks and rules and I am indeed at this very moment in timing listening to it again after reading your post. It's truly awesome!!!!!

I loved X-ray Spexs and that Poly Styrene was amazing. Their best song for me was the first one I heard The Day The World Turned Day-Glo and I've still got the single - in orange vinyl:) . B side is I am a Poseur which was another cool song. And that Germ Free Adolescent was fab as well.

I quite liked a few of Ian Dury's songs but then I bought the album New Boots & Panties and apart from a couple of songs on it, the rest just didn't tickle my fancy at all. Think I only played it a handful of times, so its in mint condition and I've still kept it cos it's in gold vinyl - well more a pukey sort of mustardy gold colour.

And I really like The Cult as well - they started off pretty punky and then they turned more into a rock band. Love all of The Cult's songs and my fav would probably be Fire Woman but that's probably when they went into their rock stage. And they are back together again and playing dates in September, so I'm gonny get a ticket to see them at The CArling Academy in September. Can't find any pals that like them, so will probably be heading to this one myself - yikes!!!! I wonder if I'll get into a Cult concert wearing a Saxon tshirt :lol:

And I love The Cure as well - Lullaby being my favourite,although they have tons of good songs.

That band you mention The Fall - I think they had a song out years ago called The Trees or The Forest or something like that, that was a brill song as well.

I see I didn't read your message properly Wilsky cos you said UK punk between 1976 and 1979 and that Carter song might have been after 1979 but I'm not too sure. The Day The World Turned Day-Glo was 1978 cos I've just checked the single.

Wasn't it the Cure who done The Trees?

I used to have a Dickies album on yellow vinyl. Can't remember what it was called, but it was the one with the cover of Paranoid on it. The banana splits song was on there as well if I remember right.

The cure song your on about Pax is A Forest which i think is their 1980 album 17 seconds.As for X Ray Specs i found it hard to pick a song.My turntable is fuck so could dig out my old 7"s to find a favourite.As for Carter USM what a band.I think i saw them about 5 or 6 times.After the Watershed was 1990 and was never on an album due to rolling stones threating legal action.What can i say about the Dickies awesome,but the didnt make the list because they are yanks(thats a seperate list).

Mate a great list and I have 95% of those tracks.

WILKS said:
Carter USM what a band.I think i saw them about 5 or 6 times.

I saw Carter upwards of 10 times and they are a truly fantastic live band, probably in my Top 5 of live bands but certainly in my Top 10. :kickass:

P.S. The Ruts how good where they :headbang:

The Ruts album The Crack is one the best punk albums ever.They did an album with an onther singer as well(the first one died).Wich i seem to remember being really.

WILKS said:
wich i seem to remember being really.

:lol:

Being really what Wilksy?????. I think you forgot to finish your sentence there hehe!!!! Or have we just to try and guess what you were gonny say and fill in the blanks.

Okay then I think you were going to say:-

which I seem to remember being really spunky:lol:

eh up all, been a long time hasnt it? havnt had internet access for a while, glad to see everyones still around plus loads of new faces! as regards the Manchester gig pax, i found out about it the night it happened, too late and too skint! typical!
well back online for however long i dont know so at least ill keep up to date with all things saxon.