Putting the V longsleeve to good use

man I wish I could do some studies in nordic philology.I have a very hard time finding some good nordic myth books.care to recommend some?
prefferably in english

Originally posted by corrado
Shit shit shit, i always knew it would have been better to study in Vienna! In Graz, they don´t even think about one single course in swedish! But we have different possibilities: feminalism, for example!

:mad: :( :cry:

That's a whole course of study of its own? :eek: I don't think we have that in Vienna, although we have everything else. Every smallest course of study (with only two students and one professor :lol: ). But we do have a lot of feminist courses and seminars within each subject. I'm sure there's also offered a lot on the field of Nordic Feminism. :D

Originally posted by spaffe
somber: must be quite a great interest you have since at least swedish (not sure about the other nordic-languages) is said to be one of the most difficult languages there are :)
hard to tell since i'm born with it, but so i've heard.
good luck to you anyway :)

Thanks!!! I have already acquired a very basic knowledge of Swedish. This will be a good basis when starting the actual courses next week. Don't know how difficult Swedish actually is compared to other languages (but then, how do you compare difficulty? Every language is complex in its own right, albeit on different fields respectively). Anyway, since my mother tongue is German, I'm at least used to the notion of "rather difficult language", as German is usually said to be one, no?

Originally posted by manuelgv
man I wish I could do some studies in nordic philology.I have a very hard time finding some good nordic myth books.care to recommend some?
prefferably in english

Finally, to answer Manuelgv: We have some experts on Nordic mythology here. Ziuwaran is a good address.

Originally posted by DeadWinterDead
I've seen mousewings around at the Dark Tranquillity forum, welcome back.
:) Thanks. Hmm... I'm actually not really a DT fan, yet. I just like the forum. :)

@Somber Soul: Glad to hear your studies are going well. :)

I am no expert in nordic mythology but I have read some books and dictionaries about it.I think it's the best,besides I am tired of greek and latin mythology.everyone praises it as the best thing ever

Those mythologies are certainly the source of many modern things today (names, places etc.). But I wouldn't say they're better than other, non-classical mythologies. Besides, there are myriads of mythologies, and I guess everyone chooses their favourite one for themselves. It just so happens that the classical mythologies still seem to be regarded as a bit more prestigious, I don't know. Even so, I dare say that the Nordic mythology has enough fans in its own right. In fact, it must be very popular judging by the amount of trivial literature that's around.

Originally posted by Somber Soul
Don't know how difficult Swedish actually is compared to other languages (but then, how do you compare difficulty? Every language is complex in its own right, albeit on different fields respectively). Anyway, since my mother tongue is German, I'm at least used to the notion of "rather difficult language", as German is usually said to be one, no?

i've read german for, oh my god... six years :(
and i only tried hard the first 3, then we got this crappy teacher that was a really lousy one, so german became one of my
"lesser attention subjects" :) e.g. i skipped a lot of those lessons.
i guess it was a mix of the crappy teacher and that the grammar became quite difficult then.
so now i have very basic knowledge, but enough to ask for directions to some place: "enshuldigung, können sie mir sagen wo die Konserthalle liegt?" :D
well i've heard that one of the reasons for swedish beeing one of the thougher languages is that there aren't any rules whatsoever to go by when deciding which (the words corresponding der, das, die, dunno the word for it in english) to use before a noun, and if you use the wrong one it sound very silly.

anyway good luck to you
btw, i found this one http://www-lexikon.nada.kth.se/skolverket/swe-eng.shtml perhaps it will be of some help in your studies

Originally posted by spaffe
well i've heard that one of the reasons for swedish beeing one of the thougher languages is that there aren't any rules whatsoever to go by when deciding which (the words corresponding der, das, die, dunno the word for it in english) to use before a noun, and if you use the wrong one it sound very silly.

They're "articles." But, there are rules in German for this? I sure as hell could never figure them out...

Afaik there aren't any rules. It's just the same with the articles in Swedish. In my Swedish language book they say you have to learn them together with the noun. That's probably true.

Originally posted by The Nomad
They're "articles." But, there are rules in German for this? I sure as hell could never figure them out...

there are some rules, or perhaps you should call them tips or something like that.
but since i, as i wrote in my previous post, am not very good at german i can only think of one, but i know there are some more. :) convincing eh?
exampel: if a word ends with an "e" the article (thanks nomad :)) is usually "die"... then i can't think of any more, but i'm sure morgana or somber soul could back me up here :D *hint*

I think greek mythology and latin are kind of repetitive at times,as most are,but what I like about nordic is the war that surrounds it.I love that the character of the norsemen is reflected in their gods and what they used to do.Besides Tolkien has a lot of nordic influence on his books and I don't think they would've been that good with mostly greek myths.
I study hispanic philology,tho I preffer the literature aspect more than linguistics and history,and we see a lot of latin stuff because spanish has a lot of words that come from latin and the shape of the language is based on "vulgar" latin

German and Swedish don't differ on the article sector. Both languages have grammatical gender as opposed to natural gender. This means you usually can't tell by the word itself what gender it's supposed to have. That's why our word for girl --> "Mädchen" can be neuter (whereas in a language with natural gender, it would be feminine, of course) --> "das Mädchen".

Anyway, one difficult thing about Swedish is the acute and grave accent things. Again, this is something that has to be learnt along with the word because it does make a difference in meaning sometimes. Take this example:

"anden" - duck
"anden" - spirit

See? And since such a distinction via intonation doesn't exist in German, this is a difficult thing to acquire indeed.

Originally posted by Somber Soul
German and Swedish don't differ on the article sector. Both languages have grammatical gender as opposed to natural gender. This means you usually can't tell by the word itself what gender it's supposed to have. That's why our word for girl --> "Mädchen" can be neuter (whereas in a language with natural gender, it would be feminine, of course) --> "das Mädchen".
ok, i rest my case :)

Anyway, one difficult thing about Swedish is the acute and grave accent things. Again, this is something that has to be learnt along with the word because it does make a difference in meaning sometimes. Take this example:

"anden" - duck
"anden" - spirit

See? And since such a distinction via intonation doesn't exist in German, this is a difficult thing to acquire indeed.

yes that's true and i belive it's pretty common in swedish, i can imagine that it would be quite difficult to keep them apart and learn them.
i hate beeing finicky but:

anden = the duck and "anden/the duck" in it's indefinite form would be "and" in swedish or just "duck" in english (as you might know :p)

same thing with the spirit; "anden" would be translated "the spirit" in english. if you'd want to write it in it's indefinite form it would be "ande".
i hope you don't think i'm beeing cocky or anything, just want you to get it right :)

Yeah, sure, you're diligent. ;) I knew about the articles, though. I didn't mean my translation of "anden" as "duck/spirit" to be 100% accurate. I just wanted to show what meanings I was referring to.

Jag talar lite svenska. :)