Q on moonlapse vertigo

ekka

Nov 11, 2005
Sorry if this has been posted to death

but does anyone know why moolapse vertigo is never played live?

A friend of mine told me that the timing changes and all the small intricacies make it real hard to bang out note for note when playing live. But also i've heard a couple of my friends play it note for note and don't mess up at all at chord changes.

Is there another reason, or more to this?

thanx

I remember Mike saying somewhere that he's not happy at all with the way the song turned out, especially the beginning (lots of mistakes, apparently)...that and the sheer number of guitar tracks layered on there. i wish I could find this interview again.

so it has nothing to do with the timings ?
And also i love the song, i don't hear any errors what-so-ever!

:cry: ...But...But...But Moonlapse Vertigo is the most perfect song ever! How could there be errors .. It's just so beautiful! lol

Nah, i just wish they'd play it live when i was at their gig.. It'd make me the happiest man alive i swear! And it seems to be a rather popular song so it wouldn't hurt for them to try it out.

ffs ppl please. Mike has to have some songs he likes less than others. TNATSW and Moonlapse. Anyway they have played it live on the Infernum festival in Norway.

I do remember reading something about why they don't play it live, and I think that the guitar tracks has something to do with it. I could be wrong, but i vaguely remember mike saying something about how it just didn't translate well into a live song as well. But Per plays a little guitar, so perhaps they could whip it out in the future.

BurningSky said:
I do remember reading something about why they don't play it live, and I think that the guitar tracks has something to do with it. I could be wrong, but i vaguely remember mike saying something about how it just didn't translate well into a live song as well. But Per plays a little guitar, so perhaps they could whip it out in the future.

I'd like to see how Per would interpet it on Synths... Maybe playing the lead melodys or supporting the rhythm parts. It'd be intriguing and definitely worth a try.

Yeah, I think there are actually four guitar layers going on simultaneously in the intro. Good song nonetheless.

But i still think its possible to play it well with two guitars - though it will involve alot of work. The intro lead is easy but the backing guitars are tough as hell. Also i'm not sure whether they'd play the chords in the background with distortion - it'd be quite complcated to break away from the chords, hit the distortion pedal - do that heavy chug and the lead that leads up to the acoustic chords, and then depress the distortion and go back to the chords. Also they have complicated chords for that. Maybe if they had the intro lead done on keyboards by per, that way it'd be more manageable.

The acoustic riff is easy easy
if peter did that and then have mike do that the chords above it then its fine.

I think they should play it just for the outro, just because of its sheer awsomeness.

But if mike hates the song or doesn't like it live - can't they change it so they like it - it'd be a 'live' version of the song - a different version of the same song works wonders for most bands. Alot of metallica's new live material is played differently when compared to the recordings. Kirk hammet changes solo styles and hetfield adds a varity to his vocals. it still sounds awsome.

just a thought ...

I actually started to learn this song last night, I got up to right before the clean transition after the acoustic verse (the jazzy part). Really fun song to play, though kind of difficult and intricate. But I definitely think they would be able to play it live, with two guitars playing the main parts and of course having Per to play anything else (harmonizing lead or something of that nature.) I dont see it being as impossible to play with two guitars as most of you are saying. Yes, it is layered a lot, but the main parts are definitely playable with just two guitars, in my opinion.

They opened with it at the Milwaukee Metalfest, it did not sound too bad. I think with the addition of Per they could pull it off nicely. Mike mentioned him being able to play guitar, so he could either do actual guitar work or have keyboard interpretations. Either one would be great, I love that song.