Quad tracking guitars

ok i admit im the biggest noob here:worship:

but why dont dont you just record 1 take of each amp and duplicate each track then you have 4 tracks two of each amp.

Why do you record 4 seperate takes of the same riff ??

ok i admit im the biggest noob here:worship:

but why dont dont you just record 1 take of each amp and duplicate each track then you have 4 tracks two of each amp.

Why do you record 4 seperate takes of the same riff ??

Because the slight variations in your playing (presuming that you are playing tight!) will cause the fatness in the sound that you don't get by copying the riff.

i thought the variations would be a bad thing :erk:

so you recon never duplicate a track always record individual tracks for a better guitar sound hmmm

i will try this and see what happens but does this apply to very technical metal as well ? because if it does our guitar tracking timeframe just got shot to hell :cry:

Do you usually have 2 of the guitars slightly lower in level or quite a heafty amount lower than the far L/R guitars? *most commonly*

Well, if you play TECHNICAL metal, shouldn't you be technically good enough to play it consistently in the first place? ;)

Otherwise it's just lame-o wannabe-prog-metal ...

thats true i just meant that since each gutarist has to record two takes of all his parts it is now going to take twice as long to track guitars as oposed to just hitting duplicate track.

Ne way i dont think we are to technical its less than between the buried and me but more than killswitch, as i lay dying type stuff.

But there are some realy tricky guitar parts in some sections fucking deceptacons its like you think its going to be easy to record until you sit down to record it and 2 hours later your still trying to nail some bastard string skipping part cleanly:err:

thats true i just meant that since each gutarist has to record two takes of all his parts it is now going to take twice as long to track guitars as oposed to just hitting duplicate track.

I'd suggest not doing this. Try having one guitarist track all four takes for a given song. In an ideal situation the less skilled guitarist would allow the other to play the entire album. We all know that won't happen, so split the songs. Guitarist 1 does all four takes for the first 2 songs, and Guitarist 2 does all takes for the last 2 songs (in the case of a 4 song demo). It will make your life easier when editing the parts later if the rhythm tracks are all from the same player.

Good luck. :kickass:

Actually, it'll probably take longer than 2x as long.

You can get away with a lot more sloppiness between the Left and Right guitars, but your guitars on the same side need to be absolutely tight. You're gonna likely need more than twice as much time there!

Yep... if you copy it, or play into 2 different amps all it does is make it louder... not thicker/meaner...

But if you record a dry signal and reamp that signal throught 2 amps, say dual rec and 5150 with different cabs and settings. Would it cause phase problems? wouldn't the different amps and cab "mess" the signal up enought so that it will work? I havent tried so I dont have a clue, just wondering...

I'd suggest not doing this. Try having one guitarist track all four takes for a given song. In an ideal situation the less skilled guitarist would allow the other to play the entire album. We all know that won't happen, so split the songs. Guitarist 1 does all four takes for the first 2 songs, and Guitarist 2 does all takes for the last 2 songs (in the case of a 4 song demo). It will make your life easier when editing the parts later if the rhythm tracks are all from the same player.

Good luck. :kickass:

unfortunatly i dont think this is going to be possible for most of the record as a lot of our rythem parts have two different things going on at the same time and each guitarist would have to learn the other guitarists stuff from scratch.

But thanks for the idea it may yet come in usefull for some parts.

Oh and i have a question do you guys have two tracks of every guitar part in a song because we have some parts with like 5 or 6 different guitars going on so this means like 12 guitar tracks

Actually, it'll probably take longer than 2x as long.

You can get away with a lot more sloppiness between the Left and Right guitars, but your guitars on the same side need to be absolutely tight. You're gonna likely need more than twice as much time there!

Dont worry we are going to be welded to the click:kickass: