Queensryche Updates - Covers Album, Hits & Rarities Disc

Rycher

Oskee Wow Wow!
Jan 5, 2007
Northern Chicago Burbs
EXCLUSIVE: QUEENSRŸCHE To Issue All-Covers Album In December; More "Sign Of The Times: Best Of" Details Revealed
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 at 13:51:10 EST

In an interview today (July 3rd) with BW&BK's Mitch Lafon, QUEENSRŸCHE's Geoff Tate revealed that the band will be releasing a new "all-covers" album in December.

Among the tracks to be covered by Queensrÿche for the release are PINK FLOYD's 'Welcome To The Machine', QUEEN's 'Innuendo' and the band's take on the opera classic 'Odessa'.

More details on the new "covers" album to follow.

In related news, Tate also revealed further details for the band's upcoming compilation from EMI, entitled Sign Of The Times: Best Of, and due for release on August 28th.

Sign Of The Times: Best Of will be a 2CD set. The first disc will feature the band's "greatest hits", but not necessarily the standard album versions. Single edits, live versions, and outakes will also be featured.

The second disc will feature rarities, including never before heard tracks such as 'Chasing Blue Sky', 'Liquified' and 'Dirty Little Secret'. Also to be included on the rarities disc are three songs from Geoff Tate's pre-Queensrÿche progressive band MYTH, which he was in with Kelly Gray (who later was Queensrÿche's first attempt at a replacement for guitarist Chris DeGarmo).

As previously reported, the collection will be available in two formats: regular CD and Deluxe.

More news including complete tracklisting and artwork will be revealed soon.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/69306

Interview with Tate: http://rockconfidential.com/magazine/interviews/geoff-tate-queensryche-2007/

There’s a new hits collection coming out next month. How involved did you get to be on this one?

That’s a real cool one. It’s a two-record set. It’s got songs that were hits, some live versions, some studio versions that didn’t get used. There’s also a disc of rarities. Chris DeGarmo and I recently wrote a song that’s going to be included on that called “Justified”. There’s also some really weird stuff. Before I was in Queensryche I was in a band called Myth. We wrote a lot of original songs and then the band broke up. I took those songs and brought them to Queensryche and we made different songs out of them. We retained a lot of lyrics and melodies. We’ve include those songs. Fans can see how inspiration for some of those songs came about. It’s fun to hear that. There was a song that Queensryche originally wrote called “Waiting for the Kill” that didn’t make the Warning album. Our producer at the time thought we needed to go back to the drawing board with that song. Chris, Michael and I re-wrote the song and turned it into “N M 156″ which ended up on the album. You’ll get to hear it in it’s original form and you can hear how we took it apart and turned it into something new.

:headbang:

The second disc will feature rarities, including never before heard tracks such as 'Chasing Blue Sky', 'Liquified' and 'Dirty Little Secret'.

lol... chasing blue sky was on the greatest hits cd from 2000... and dirty lil secret was on the I Am I single. :Smug:

lol... chasing blue sky was on the greatest hits cd from 2000... and dirty lil secret was on the I Am I single. :Smug:
All of this stuff has been available before .. it's just another compilation rehash for the Ryche. I can't recall if those Myth tunes were ever released commercially, but I've had them in the mp3 collection before. They are totally in cash call mode these days it seems. This is a band that should call it a day.

Britt

They did mention there would be a new track with DeGarmo on this I think, but yeah, I don't think it justifies another compilation.

Maybe he meant never before heard arrangements of those songs. It wouldn't be the first time a Queensryche song has more than one version. :headbang:

Dirty Little Secret was also on the re-issue of Empire from a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure that either of these tracks are ones that I would care to hear multiple versions of...but I'm enough of a sucker for Queensryche that I'll probably buy all of this stuff anyway... :oops:

Just what is Chris DeGarmo up to these days? What a brilliant songwriter. Too bad he never got his due living in Geoff's shadow. Originally I thought DeGarmo was largely behind the radical change in direction with HINTNF, but the more time went on, the easier it is to see that it was just as much Tate, if not more.

EDIT: Just checked wikipedia: "DeGarmo currently lives in the Seattle area with his wife and children, and works fulltime as a charter pilot. He holds an Airline Transport Pilot certificate, Hawker (HS125) and Lear Jet type rating from the FAA."

I am just wondering when Tate's dalliance with the crunk genre will begin. Yeeeaaahhhhh!!!

All of this stuff has been available before .. it's just another compilation rehash for the Ryche. I can't recall if those Myth tunes were ever released commercially, but I've had them in the mp3 collection before. They are totally in cash call mode these days it seems. This is a band that should call it a day.

Yeah, the "never before heard" is bullshit... I've had all that Myth stuff for a while as well. "Never before released," maybe I could see. God knows they need to do something with it though before actually charging people money to hear it. Covers, greatest hits, and "rarities" most serious fans (i.e., most anyone still buying their albums) have already heard... puh-lease. I'm starting to think they really should give it up as well.

Shaye