Question about Celestion Speaker's

cobhc

Amiga Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Right the Marshall website says the 1960v cab's come with G12 Vintage 70W, which is also referred to on the internet as being the same as a V30, yet the V30 is actually 60W according to the Celestion website, can anyone clear this up?

Hmmmm, all I know is that when I open the back of my Marshall 1960 Vintage cab, its got four speakers that say Vintage 30 (16 ohm) on them. The back of the cab does say that it has 280 watts powerhandling, which is 70 watts a piece. My 1960A cab with G12t75s has a 300 watt rating, 75 watts a piece. The V30s in my cab look just like the ones on the celestion web site.

cobhc said:
meh, i guess it's like a reissue or something

Actually, I don't think it's a reissue. They just make two versions. Normal 60 watt version, and 70 watts for Mesa and Marshall. My guess is that both types are produced concurrently. I personally have never seen a Mesa vintage 30 cab rated 240 watts, even though 4 normal V30's would add up to 240W.

I read this on HC a while ago:
"Two of them I got from Dave at avatar speakers and the other two are out of a mesa 2x12 recto cab and yes there is a visible difference in the mesa vintage 30's--the magnet on the custom mesa speakers is another 1/2 inch in diameter larger than the standard vintage 30's probably giving them more control over the lo-end and the higher wattage rating that everyone's been trying to figure out (mesa & marshall both rate their vintage 30 4x12's for 280 watts but the standard wattage rating for vintage 30's is 60 watts a piece...go figure). "

Or maybe it's just weird rating practices... I mean, my 1960B cab has a 320w rating, but it contains 4 G12-65 speakers...

davormen said:
Or maybe it's just weird rating practices... I mean, my 1960B cab has a 320w rating, but it contains 4 G12-65 speakers...

Just curious...I have the same speakers in my Marshall cab and it has a "JCM800 LEAD" plate in the lower left corner at the front. But it says "Bass Series" on a round plate that surrounds the input jack and that confuses me a bit...Aren't 65's guitar speakers? :err:

I used to owna Marshall 1960BV, and currently own a Mesa 4x12 oversized custom (two V30s, two C90s, x-pattern). I can confidently say that the V30s that both companies use are exactly the same, since I've had both cabs apart.

Here's the scoop...the Celestion Vintage 30 and the Marshall Celestion Vintage are the exact same speaker. The only difference is the label that Marshall slaps on them. Marshall does not have any type of proprietary Vintage 30 design.

They also have the exact same power handling capability. The only difference is how Celestion and Marshall perceive what they're capable of handling. Because there's a lot of high powered amps out there today, Celestion takes a more conservative approach and rates their Vintage 30's at 60W. Marshall, through their own independent testing, feels comfortable enough to rate them at 70W. It's the same speaker, though. If you buy a Marshall 1960BV Cab with Celestion Vintage's or order some aftermarket Celestion Vintage 30's, you're getting the same speaker.

Mesa, however, does have a proprietary design. The Black Shadow series, which includes the Black Shadow Vintage 30, is a proprietary design made specifically for Mesa. They're all still manufactured in the England factory versus China and using old fashioned adhesive methods. The additional slight alterations that are made to the Mesa Vintage 30's are unknown, and Celestion is bound to a confidentiality agreement against speaking about it since it's a proprietary design. However, Mesa claims that their design is made to keep the bass tighter and provide more focus and attack.

silverwulf said:
Mesa, however, does have a proprietary design. The Black Shadow series, which includes the Black Shadow Vintage 30, is a proprietary design made specifically for Mesa. They're all still manufactured in the England factory versus China and using old fashioned adhesive methods. The additional slight alterations that are made to the Mesa Vintage 30's are unknown, and Celestion is bound to a confidentiality agreement against speaking about it since it's a proprietary design. However, Mesa claims that their design is made to keep the bass tighter and provide more focus and attack.

I didn't know about this speaker. I thought the Black Shadow 90, or C90, was the proprietary design. I know Mesa builds their own baskets and magnets, and then ships them to England to have the cones and voice coils installed. Seeing the C90 and V30, both from Mesa, side by side in the same cabinet is illuminating. The C90 makes the V30 look whimpy. Huge magnets and strong baskets, instead of the weak looking stamped baskets and smaller magnets of the V30.

Is their a visual difference between the standard V30, and the Mesa one of which you speak? You're going to make open up my cab this weekend and take pictures... :p

Silverwulf, where do I know you from? I know that alias, but my brain is failing me at the moment...

noodlesatf said:
I didn't know about this speaker. I thought the Black Shadow 90, or C90, was the proprietary design. I know Mesa builds their own baskets and magnets, and then ships them to England to have the cones and voice coils installed. Seeing the C90 and V30, both from Mesa, side by side in the same cabinet is illuminating. The C90 makes the V30 look whimpy. Huge magnets and strong baskets, instead of the weak looking stamped baskets and smaller magnets of the V30.

Is their a visual difference between the standard V30, and the Mesa one of which you speak? You're going to make open up my cab this weekend and take pictures... :p

Silverwulf, where do I know you from? I know that alias, but my brain is failing me at the moment...

I know who you are Dave...and I'll probably see you tomorrow at the Division gig...:kickass: Landon will be there too, maybe Tony.

I'm not sure if there's a visual difference between the standard V30 and the Black Shadow V30's or not. Celestion told me that all the Black shadows, including the V30's, were a properietary design. The C90's are awesome, too.

This will be the first time I've seen you guys play live, so you better bring your A-Game tomorrow...:p

silverwulf said:
I know who you are Dave...and I'll probably see you tomorrow at the Division gig...:kickass: Landon will be there too, maybe Tony.

Jack! Durr, I'm not with it today. :loco:

I'm not sure if there's a visual difference between the standard V30 and the Black Shadow V30's or not. Celestion told me that all the Black shadows, including the V30's, were a properietary design. The C90's are awesome, too.

Mine must be the standard V30's, then, because they clearly say Celestion on the back. No Black Shadow or Mesa anywhere.

This will be the first time I've seen you guys play live, so you better bring your A-Game tomorrow...:p

Considering we're recording a live CD, yeah, I better! :headbang: