Question about recording shows

sage204

New Metal Member
Apr 26, 2005
Okay.. I see opeth videos all over the net (youtube, video.google etc) that were recorded by people in the crowd, so I'm wondering if opeth gives a shit whether or not people bootleg concert vids or not.. anyone have any idea? like has mike said anything on stage about people recording their shows? cuz if they don't give a fuck i'm definitely gonna record the next show.. I went to arch enemy and they didn't even let me bring my fucking picture camera in there

Yeah, the recording part is up to the venue, not the band. Most venues won't let you, but I know some tapers that have gone to great lengths to record shows. I'm an avid bootleg collector (have a few Opeth audio shows), so I get to hear first hand how much work tapers go through to get decent recordings.

I recon in a few years time most bands will be either recording their audio or audio/visual concerts and selling them via the net.
Could be a decent amount of money in it for them, and it would cut down on the crap quality of 'most' bootlegs.
I, certainly, would be interested buying it, especially if I was at the concert in question.

Ken Lyall said:
I recon in a few years time most bands will be either recording their audio or audio/visual concerts and selling them via the net.
Could be a decent amount of money in it for them, and it would cut down on the crap quality of 'most' bootlegs.
I, certainly, would be interested buying it, especially if I was at the concert in question.

Yeah thats what metallica do and to be honest its a very good idea. It cuts out the shit quality and for around 12 dollars or whatever you get an official bootleg and you can download sleeves for the bootleg in question. Its the way forward really.

When Pixies reformed and toured about 18 months ago they did 4 shows at the Brixton Academy which they recorded. They pre-sold official bootlegs online, dispatched CDs when ready but also made a more compressed download available via NetBurn/DiscLive.

http://www.netburncd.com/

I don't know if Opeth have contemplated this approach, but I happily paid CD price + shipping for a limited edition disc of the show I actually went to. So Opeth: let me Netburn your shows and I will send you cash.

Isn't "Official Bootleg" a bit of an oxymoron, though? The whole idea of a bootleg, to me, is an audience source recording by fans in the audience. And yes, I will agree that most bootlegs out there sound like crap, but in all honesty, if you know what you're doing, have the right equipment (right deck, right mics, etc.), get decent positions, you can get some really great recordings. A lot of the DT bootlegs I have sound fucking amazing, and they are plain old audience sourced recordings.

The idea of buying a bootleg with artwork off the bands official site, while a good idea in theory, kinda makes it no longer a bootleg. It's an official live release at that point, it's just not being released by the label.

I'm a trader. I don't sell bootlegs in any fashion. I stick mainly with mail trades. Sending blanks, getting shows, trading shows, making contact with other fans of the same music I listen to all across the world. That's bootleg trading to me. While I understand the ease of processes like what Metallica does, at that point, it's no longer a bootleg. It's a live recording released by the band, bought and paid for. I've got over 250 shows in my collection, been trading for over 2 years, and I would be surprised if I have paid more than $100.00 total for all costs. And I've got some pretty decent sounding shows.

I've recorded around 50 or so shows without a problem with my DAT recorder. Pretty much ever show I go to I record, and I record a lot of local shows. I get through pat downs and metal detectors all the time without problems. Only recorded Opeth once though and it's circulating, horrible recording though as that SOTU venue sounded terrible.

I actually prefer good audience recordings to soundboard myself. A good quality audience recording is a more accurate representation of what you heard as well since it's a recording of the P.A. mostly instead of the direct signal.

It's really up to the venue if they allow recordings. Taper Friendly bands that are big will generally let the venue know if it's ok or you can sometimes e-mail management and see if they'll hook you up with a press pass to record.

I trade, but not so much anymore. One day I'll probably just end up torrenting everything I record on Dimeadozen or something... I don't sell. http://dbtree.org/SPLASTiK

Actually, and this is merely a personal thought and in no way me trying to tell the guys in Opeth what to do, I would like to see a sanctioned place for people to trade Opeth shows, if the guys are okay with bootlegging.

I can certainly understand the board rules about forbidding the posting of downloadable bootlegs, and I suppose that what I'm thinking of would fall under that, but I think it would be cool to be able to start trading trees and trading vines for shows here on the forum. If this has been discussed before and shot down, please excuse me. I'm new and haven't really explored the past of this place yet.

But I think it would be cool, with Opeth's permission of course, to have the ability to start threads for trading trees and vines for bootlegs. All mail trades, no purchases whatsoever, just good old-fashioned bootleg trading.

Just my 2 cents.

AcousticJames said:
Actually, and this is merely a personal thought and in no way me trying to tell the guys in Opeth what to do, I would like to see a sanctioned place for people to trade Opeth shows, if the guys are okay with bootlegging.

I can certainly understand the board rules about forbidding the posting of downloadable bootlegs, and I suppose that what I'm thinking of would fall under that, but I think it would be cool to be able to start trading trees and trading vines for shows here on the forum. If this has been discussed before and shot down, please excuse me. I'm new and haven't really explored the past of this place yet.

But I think it would be cool, with Opeth's permission of course, to have the ability to start threads for trading trees and vines for bootlegs. All mail trades, no purchases whatsoever, just good old-fashioned bootleg trading.

Just my 2 cents.

The Gathering does that. They let people post live recordings and videos as long as they don't try to charge people.

is the real deal. Although I have not had a conversation with the Ålmighty regarding his personal opinion of recording shows or bootlegging in general, the "Official" position in the Opeth camp is that circulation of bootlegged Opeth material including full songs or shows including audio or video is not authorized. Any and all pictures, and clips of 3 or 4 minutes are ok....

I have actually had a conversation with Andy Farrow regarding this subject and his opinion was that market saturation of bootlegged material would hurt demand of a future live album and DVD release. I didn't agree, but I'm not managing Opeth and as Andy pointed out... he's been doing his thing for 18 years so.... what the hell do I know? <-- Andy didn't say, "What the hell do you know?"... I'm saying it. But seriously, we just have a difference of opinion but I respect his.

So there you go.

That's actually a very valid argument against bootlegging, though. That if people could easily (and freely) obtain live audio and video recordings, why buy the official live releases?

However, that being said, even though I have over 200 DT shows and about 8 Opeth shows, I still have every live DT release (except Once In A Livetime CD set, still need to reacquire that) and Lamentations. So for me, having access to free live recordings doesn't make me not buy official live releases. But, I will say that that is a very valid argument against bootlegging.

And I'm not surprised that the "official" stance from the Opeth camp is anti-bootleg. I would be curious to know, however, Mikael's (and the rest) personal opinions on bootlegs. But then, anything they say could be construed as an "official" statement, so it's probably best they keep their mouths closed.