Question about road rules

9mm

Pull Me Under
Apr 14, 2001
Sydney, Australia
www.dreamtheater.net
Well, not really road rules as such, but close enough. :)

Does anyone know if the time a traffic light is orange is standard for all roads, or does it depend on the speed limit of each particular road? Like would a traffic light stay orange on an 80km/h road for longer than if the light was on a 60km/h road? I was wondering this the other day, as you see some lights stay orange for what seems like only a few seconds, and others for ages....

I guess this applies to the whole of Australia, I can't see how it would be differ from state to state....

OK, let me qualify this response by stating from the start that I don't know for sure, and this is just an eductuted guess.

It would make sense that they're timed differently depending on the location of them. They're not meant to give you enough time to stop, they're meant to give you enough distance to stop. Therefore, the faster you're going, the more distance you need so the longer the light sequence would have to be.

This would be the reason you get the strobe effect when turning at arrows. (Do other states have these thing?). That little orange arrow must be on for about 10 seconds a day, total.

Of course, it would also depend on the road rules and the like at the time the lights were programed. I've noticed that at old crossing, you can still get the orange between the red and the green (i.e. the amber means get ready to go). This was stopped because it encouraged drag racing. Also the newer lights seem to have longer sequences.

So I guess the summary answer is:

It depends (I think)

From my observations, ive noticed thats its about 3 seconds that the lights stay orange for. Up here in brissy they all seem to stay orange for the same amount of time, 3 secs. Also there is about a 3 second gap between the light turning orange to red, then from red to green....yep I gotta alota time on my hands :D

Well I aint got anything else to do while waiting for lights to change walking to uni, except maybe look around at the *ahem* scenery hehe :)

No I mean...the light turns orange..stays orange for 3 secs..then turns red. Or between lights.. one turns orange..3 secs later is red. Then 3 secs after that the other lights that where red turn green for the other cars..make sense?? hehe :)

I'm 90% certain the timing is no different between speed limits.
It would make perfect sense if it were though, unless people started to abuse it.

I thought this one stayed orange for 4 seconds.... not 2.5!

(*** insert loud crashy bangy noise with lots of broken glass and the hint of an exoctic aroma of mint leaves ***)