Question about using API plug ins..

Jasonmadeco

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2013
So I've been recently experimenting with the API 550A and API 560 by Waves.

I adore them. the character and colour from them. But i feel kind of limited..or rather, confused.

I usually run them straight into an LA-2A and i just love the sound i get for guitars,drums,bass.

Now my question is is it good enough?

I find myself just doing additive EQ's I've never really done before on the REQ( my usual eq), that i do on the API to get a GREAT tone for my guitars. But do i still need to do additional subtractive/surgical EQ afterward?

Would I use the 560 for surgical stuff? Like cutting out specific mud, or some fizz at 4k or something? And I'm edging toward using the Q 10 for that? Or is there an EQ that colours the least..

Nevertheless the API tone is great, im just worried about fighting frequencies in the overall mix.

sidenote: i test these tones with the whole mix on, not in solo.

Thanks!:

Personally, I cut all the nasties with a sonnox eq or an eq3
Then I boost with whatever colourful broad character eq I feel like on that day.
Normally the ssl

I adore them. the character and colour from them. But i feel kind of limited..or rather, confused.

I usually run them straight into an LA-2A and i just love the sound i get for guitars,drums,bass.

Maybe I'm not following you correctly, but what does a LA-2A have to do with anything? For $600 worth of EQ plugins I would hope so

So I've been recently experimenting with the API 550A and API 560 by Waves.

I find myself just doing additive EQ's I've never really done before on the REQ( my usual eq), that i do on the API to get a GREAT tone for my guitars. But do i still need to do additional subtractive/surgical EQ afterward?

Would I use the 560 for surgical stuff? Like cutting out specific mud, or some fizz at 4k or something? And I'm edging toward using the Q 10 for that? Or is there an EQ that colours the least..

Nevertheless the API tone is great, im just worried about fighting frequencies in the overall mix.

sidenote: i test these tones with the whole mix on, not in solo.

Thanks!:

the api 560 doesnt work for surgical stuff. the q changes depending on the size of the cut and boost and you get options like 4k and then 8k which doesnt give you enough options. the q 10 on the other hand is perfect for it.