Question- By the pain I see in others

Complexity, innovation, sincerity, intelligence... What's so wrong with PoS? I understand that not everyone would consider them to be the very best thing progressive music has to offer (at this time for me they may come at a close second after Opeth as far as my favorite bands go), but I don't really see why anyone wouldn't acknowledge their music as good. They have exciting song structures, they are thoughtful, and they never stagnate from album to album. They have a distinct personality and are more creative than just about anyone in the progressive metal genre or in metal in general. I do get burned out every now and then listening to them, and they do have a certain amount of melodrama that gets in the way of listening to their albums too frequently (probably because they take themselves a bit too seriously), and I don't think their last album, Be, is nearly as profound as most critics make it out to be (though the Be DVD is pretty spectacular). However, it confuses me when people claim that they are not among the most adventurous and talented bands around--to me this seems self-evident, even on the albums that are less than winning (and I do think The Pefect Element and Remedy Lane are damn close to being perfect). There aren't that many bands whose new albums I would always buy because I find their artistic development automatically interesting, but Pain of Salvation is definitely one of the foremost examples of such a band (along with Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, Madder Mortem, Strapping Young Lad/The Devin Townsend Band, Lacrimosa, Savatage and only a few others).

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. POS have only clean vocals
2. They have practically ballet-opera orchestral instrumentation making every moment of their music quite unlistenable
3. Their singer is more cheesy than the most cheesiest of power metal and progressive metal bands with no sense of being genuine but sounding pretentious as hell

metal_wrath said:
Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. POS have only clean vocals
2. They have practically ballet-opera orchestral instrumentation making every moment of their music quite unlistenable
3. Their singer is more cheesy than the most cheesiest of power metal and progressive metal bands with no sense of being genuine but sounding pretentious as hell
Dude, you're an idiot.

I like POS when I'm in the mood for unbearably pretentious music, which is about every day of the week.
But really, POS does push it too far.

Ok, first he's saying they only have clean vocals. OHNOZZZS WHERES THE BROOTALITY??!1 Newsflash: aggressive vocals aren't a prerequisite for good music, even metal. Point one defeated. Point two: I guess we can agree to disagree. I quite enjoy the instrumentation. Point three: oh please, there are plenty of singers that are MUCH cheesier. I think this guy is one of the less cheesy "cheesy singer." The lyrics can get pretty damn cheesy, but they're thoughtful and he doesn't SOUND as cheesy as a lot of other guys.