Question for fellow musicians

Cat5Messiah

Violator of Sheep
Jan 21, 2003
Seattle/Tacoma (Browns Point), WA
www.myspace.com
Ok, I'm starting to get very pissed off.

I did, in fact, finish a song last night which is cool but here is my problem:

Whenever I sit down to write, it seems like I can't. I can't come up with anything and when I do, I forget it. When I try to make all parts of a song flow with each other, they just don't want to. Sure, writing shit with my bassist or my rythym guitarist is helpful but I'm trying to come up with material when it's just me. Think maybe my ADHD could be a cause of my excessive writer's block? Because if it is, I'll go get a fucking prescription to make me so I'm able to focus. This is really bugging me and if this continues, I think my career in music will be very, very difficult.

Suggestions?

NP: Children of Bodom - In the Shadows

try writing in a style you don't normally write in... i don't think add/adhd really matters honestly, i think its a condition everyone has to a varying degree. i was diagnosed it when i was a kid, but my parents never told me, and i always looked at the kids who took riddelin and thought to myself "i'm glad i'm not like them" lol... sometimes i go months without writing anything, then all of a sudden when i'm not even trying, i come up with something i love... don't push yourself into it, otherwise you won't come up with anything... just let it come naturally sometime when you're sitting around jamming...

btw if you're working tomorrow i'm coming to GC to exercise my visitation rights on my new guitar:loco:

Put some kind of restriction on what you are going to do, and go from there. Or even set a deadline, not only will that make you better at finishing songs, it will prepare you to write in a pinch, especially if you ever have a sophmore album, which you wouldn't have 4 years to write

allow me to enter your thread to post a question for meself too:

FOR PETE'S SAKE!
WHERE THE FARK CAN I GET A PROGRAM THAT LETS ME PLAY SOFTSYNTHS THRU MY COMP'S KEYBOARD?!!?!?!??!

isn't there some kind of virtual controller that you can use your QWETY to play?!

Tut Ankh Amon said:

FOR PETE'S SAKE!
WHERE THE FARK CAN I GET A PROGRAM THAT LETS ME PLAY SOFTSYNTHS THRU MY COMP'S KEYBOARD?!!?!?!??!

isn't there some kind of virtual controller that you can use your QWETY to play?!

I know of one, but can't remember it's name... MSn me tonight and i'll have tracked it down.

Tut Ankh Amon said:

FOR PETE'S SAKE!

You can do that with Fruityloops Studio 5.

about the ADHD thing, it could be a very good possiblity. I have ADD, and i could barely do anything before i got diagnosed and started taking meds. whether it was work, practicing guitar, or anything else, i was in a rut. You should really get a presription asap, cause in addition to your writing, it will help your work habits, as well.

I get that same problem, so is what i do, i write about 30 riffs or so... one of them is bound to lead into a full fledge song... now sure that is a lot of wasted riffs... but once you develope a better technique for writing songs you can go back and use them. record everything you play... it helps a lot.

SSJ4SephirothX said:
Yea Yanko, but there has to be some kind of structure. If you throw a bunch of shit together, you end up with an instrumental. :lol:

NP: Strapping Young Lad - Skeksis
write a whole bunch of instrumentals, then when your singer has some lyrics to put over something, write those little riffs needed during singing parts :D

now THAT'S the shit! :p

nah, what i mean is getting all kinds of stuff and getting your music to flow by itself, ya know?
Not adding all kinds of parts, but letting the parts you already made "call" for others.

I dunno, kind of a crackhead concept i think :p