Fellow Guitarists!

Cat5Messiah

Violator of Sheep
Jan 21, 2003
Seattle/Tacoma (Browns Point), WA
www.myspace.com
Ok, I am in need. If you know me, you know that I'm not a novice.

I have been playing for 14 years but quite honestly, I could be far better.

I'm asking you guys for advice. I find myself lacking skill. I don't know what to do. I almost want to give up music because I feel like I am not progressing. I'm having troubles writing, having troubles with playing. Whenever I pick up my axe to actually practice or write something, I no longer feel motivated and can't focus on stuff.

Does anyone possibly know of any good sites that could help make me a better player and/or songwriter?

You think it could be my ADHD taking effect, making it hard for me to focus? I'm starting to become fed up with things yet whenever I listen to something that motivates me, I try to write something as badass without stealing the song.

Should I really learn theory to help write? Anyone know of any good theory sites?

It seems when I'm with my band, it's easier to write new material yet I want to be able to write material on my one and present it. To be able to write and create a structure. I want to make something of myself with my music but the current situation makes me want to go back to college for something else. I don't want to do that.

Ummmm..........help!

NP: Arch Enemy - Ravenous

dude seriously your self pitty threads are starting to get anoying, stop showing everybody your weakness and suck it up! <--- this is not hate mail this is the best advice you can get ... no need to say thx.

DeathPact said:
dude seriously your self pitty threads are starting to get anoying, stop showing everybody your weakness and suck it up! <--- this is not hate mail this is the best advice you can get ... no need to say thx.

Wow.

Go die.

Thanks, fanboy. Go play DDR or something.

This is not a 'self-pity' thread, it's simply me asking real people (non-assholes alike yourself) for advice. You know what that is, right? Why you hate me so? Is it because I am American or something? Awww, lil baby experienced being a prick! You get a gold star!

I would

*Listen to the greats of other Genres, even if you're not into that particular genre, just so you get more ideas on composing and can fuse them into what you're into. (Try Jazz, Latin Jazz, ethnic music or even Merengue, Salsa for learning different beats, PM me if you want suggestions for that).

Trust me you will be a much diverse musician and far ahead of the game too.

*Learn more theory yes, but I'd say either get a book or get qualified instruction, as in a class, you learn much faster and better this way. (Theory wise)

join www.musicianwar.com and "compete", you will improve, you can also learn from the School section, as well as learn from other peoples songs, as a lot of people post full tabs, or will tab a lick if you ask them to... the school has 3 or 4 years of archives as well, which you can dl in a zip file...