Question for longtime DT fans

@ Villain: Your post describes what my friend was telling me. I guess when people heard the sample songs they just didn't believe the entire album was going to sound similar? Now I hear mostly praise about this album so I guess it all worked out ok in the end. :)

That's a shame that the message board had to become abusive though. Of course, human nature being what it is what else could have happened? Isn't this basically what happened to the In Flames board? I didn't lurk there much, but I heard it got really bad...

His Divine Shadow said:
That's a shame that the message board had to become abusive though. Of course, human nature being what it is what else could have happened? Isn't this basically what happened to the In Flames board? I didn't lurk there much, but I heard it got really bad...
there was a lot of criticism, and considering that most of it was being brought about by 12-y-o kids, it wasn't particularly mature or insightful: your predictable series of comments on selling out, being nu-metal, favouring same-sex relationships.

in any case and like it's been stated previously here, a band's got the fans that it's got and they should be able to put up with it without rushing off to sulk in a corner. dt would hardly want to stop criticism of any sort.

rahvin said:
i wasn't necessarily jumping around my own divine shadow. anyone's would do, actually, i'm pretty sure a divine shadow must be very visible.

Yes, visible. *notice that people in this pic are on the floor worshipping His Divine Shadow*

Hisdivineshadow.jpg

but see, I was worshipping rahvin in a post above! :worship: What does that say about rahvin! :D

*not speaking directly to anyone, just saying aloud:*

My worship only extends through this thread! Anyone who likes Maiden is worthy of high praise anyway, but those who love 7th Son the best are: :worship:

:tickled:

Schwedentod said:
I also bring up much respect to Blind Guardian (as an example) who changed a little with "A Night at the Opera". No fantasy-cover, not too much fantasy lyrics and this huge thing called "and then there was silence" (15 minutes or so...). That's a great thing although my favorite BG-album is "Imaginations from the other side".

I'm also glad BG has been willing to change things up a bit (even though I didn't like ANATO as much). Another example is Vintersorg. He's gotten some criticism from fans because his last two albums are not folk metal. However I think it's better that he's willing to step outside of what was expected and risk the annoyance of fans for the sake of doing what he wants. Yeah, Till Fjälls part 5 would be cool, but I personally like the changes in the music and I'm glad he's doing it this way.

Can't wait to hear whatever DT is gonna give us next! :hotjump:

His Divine Shadow said:
I'm also glad BG has been willing to change things up a bit (even though I didn't like ANATO as much).
i find anato an example in ultimate boredom. it's great to test a new stereo, but maybe 70 minutes are a little too much for a soundcheck.
my "model" bg song is bright eyes. from them, i want tight metal songs with a good use of voice and backing vocals and atmosphere. if they want to add more elements it's fine, but i'm a bit worried they're not really getting the hang of this adding things process, and would make a 200mins song featuring everything from jazz to polka if they tried.

Another example is Vintersorg. He's gotten some criticism from fans because his last two albums are not folk metal.
i never really liked vintersorg, and i haven't heard their latest yet. however, i think when you change the formula some degeneration can't be avoided: you're probably trying out different solutions, instead of being determinedly inspired like you were when you started out in a certain style. but there are exceptions.

rahvin said:
i find anato an example in ultimate boredom. it's great to test a new stereo, but maybe 70 minutes are a little too much for a soundcheck.
my "model" bg song is bright eyes. from them, i want tight metal songs with a good use of voice and backing vocals and atmosphere. if they want to add more elements it's fine, but i'm a bit worried they're not really getting the hang of this adding things process, and would make a 200mins song featuring everything from jazz to polka if they tried.

When I first heard ANATO, I remember thinking it's just too over-the-top. I thought they hit perfection with Nightfall in Middle Earth. However I think even NIME would have been "too much of a good thing" if not for the subject matter which made it all fit somehow.

rahvin said:
i never really liked vintersorg, and i haven't heard their latest yet. however, i think when you change the formula some degeneration can't be avoided: you're probably trying out different solutions, instead of being determinedly inspired like you were when you started out in a certain style. but there are exceptions.

Yeah I understand what you're saying, but I do love the old and new Vintersorg myself! I do think his latest is inspired, but it's um... a lot different than his older stuff... that's for sure! o_O

b)

I was thrown by Day to End at first, and to be honest, I still don't like it all that much. But Auctioned blew me away, and it still does, to this day. It was the third DT album I bought, the other two being Haven (#1) and The Mind's I.

And as far as bands changing things up a bit, you can imagine how tough it's been to be a Kovenant fan :p

~Kov

I am a huge fan of DT since The Gallery was released, and Projector is my favourite, second-to-none. But Gallery and The Mind´I both kicks ass too. To me, Haven and Damage Done aren´t such good. It´s not about quality, but the old feeling and songwriting is gone...I miss Johansson and also Sundin since he isn´t more or less writing music anymore.