Question for Norton's users

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
How am I supposed to upgrade my virus definition files if I can't connect to the Live Update server? I've tried via the internet and by clicking "find device automatically", but both times I get an error message. Is there a way round this or am I doing something wrong?

W

Wrathchild said:
How am I supposed to upgrade my virus definition files if I can't connect to the Live Update server? I've tried via the internet and by clicking "find device automatically", but both times I get an error message. Is there a way round this or am I doing something wrong?

W
You say you've tried 'via the internet'......I hope I'm not stating the obvious by saying that you HAVE to be connected to the net in order to access updates.
I have the 2002 version and I'm not sure what you're referring to by 'find device automatically'........it should be a simple matter of clicking on 'live update' whilst connected to the net.........but if it's a pirate copy I don't think update works. :D

All fixed :). I decided not to bother with Live Update and just got the latest definitions from the Symantec website.

Phloggy, is AVG one of those free download type things or do I have to pay for it? I (ahem) "borrowed" Nortons from my office, y'see...

W

Wrathchild said:
All fixed /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif. I decided not to bother with Live Update and just got the latest definitions from the Symantec website.

Phloggy, is AVG one of those free download type things or do I have to pay for it? I (ahem) "borrowed" Nortons from my office, y'see...

W
There's a free version of AVG, which has everything you need in a virus detector, and I find it less intrusive than Symantec as well.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php