||- Macbook update problem - please help -||

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
before turning to the CNET apple support forums i thought i would get some "local" advice from you guys.

im trying to update my macbook.

currently running: Mac OS X Version 10.5.4

so i clicked the little apple logo in the top left and went to software update and it scanned for new update "it usually works perfect for me" so i downloaded a bunch of updates for itunes and the usual crap etc.

the final update is "Mac OS X update combined" version "10.5.6" - note the version is 2 ahead of my current version.

so i went to "install 1 item" entered my password, hit "agree" a few times and then an error popped up

"THE UPDATE "MAC OSX UPDATE COMBINED" CAN'T BE SAVED.

A NEWWORKING ERROR HAS OCCURRED: CANNOT OPEN FILE (-3001). MAKE SURE YOU CAN CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, THEN TRY AGAIN."

i can connect to the internet perfect (if i couldn't i wouldn't be posting this message - lol) and the other updates installed without a problem.

i tried rebooting several times to have no success. then i tried downloading update 10.5.5 (note this version - 1 above my current version) directly from the apple site. 700 mb's later and it refused to install because it said it was the wrong version.

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I WAS PRAISING APPLE AND ACCEPTED STEVES NON APPEARANCE WHEN I WATCHED MACWORLD 09 ON THE INTERNET EARLIER TODAY. NOW THIS SHIT! ALL I WANT TO DO IS UPDATE!!! WHY APPLE WHY!

edit: im going to post this into "equipment" incase no mackies come in here - you never know!

i dont think he's ill - there were reports about him being ill a few months back but they were not confirmed and again now there are new reports of him being ill still not confirmed as far as know. he's just in the job too long and lost the spark! could be a mid life crisis - give him time and he'll be back to himself