||- Macbook update problem - please help -||

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
before turning to the CNET apple support forums i thought i would get some "local" advice from you guys.

im trying to update my macbook.

currently running: Mac OS X Version 10.5.4

so i clicked the little apple logo in the top left and went to software update and it scanned for new update "it usually works perfect for me" so i downloaded a bunch of updates for itunes and the usual crap etc.

the final update is "Mac OS X update combined" version "10.5.6" - note the version is 2 ahead of my current version.

so i went to "install 1 item" entered my password, hit "agree" a few times and then an error popped up

"THE UPDATE "MAC OSX UPDATE COMBINED" CAN'T BE SAVED.

A NEWWORKING ERROR HAS OCCURRED: CANNOT OPEN FILE (-3001). MAKE SURE YOU CAN CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, THEN TRY AGAIN."

i can connect to the internet perfect (if i couldn't i wouldn't be posting this message - lol) and the other updates installed without a problem.

i tried rebooting several times to have no success. then i tried downloading update 10.5.5 (note this version - 1 above my current version) directly from the apple site. 700 mb's later and it refused to install because it said it was the wrong version.

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I WAS PRAISING APPLE AND ACCEPTED STEVES NON APPEARANCE WHEN I WATCHED MACWORLD 09 ON THE INTERNET EARLIER TODAY. NOW THIS SHIT! ALL I WANT TO DO IS UPDATE!!! WHY APPLE WHY!

I would guess that you've got some problems with your "com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist" file. I would have exit "Software update", locate "com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist" in "Leopard>Library>Preferences" and delete the file. Then start "Software update" again.

The combo updates means you can upgrade from any version (10.5.x) to the latest. So nothing is up with you having 10.5.4.

Otherwise try download the file manually from:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_6_Combo_Update

right - deleted "com.apple/soft....etc" , then re-ran the update, it did not work.

so im trying the manual file.

i dont understand though - my version is 10.5.4 - why is it downloading 10.5.6 - dont i need 10.5.5?

the software update does not show 10.5.5 and when i tried manually installing 10.5.5 from the internet it did not install. - anyway download 10.5.6 so i'll post back my horrific results

Too bad it didn't work. Hopefully the manual way will work.

The combo update includes every file you need for upgrading to 10.5.6 from any other version of Leopard (10.5.x). If my memory don't fail me it's about 600 mb. If you've been at 10.5.5 the file hade been about half that size.

I almost forgot that it's a version of "com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist" in your user library too ("Users/yourhome/Library/Preferences"). Try to delete that one too.

ya its 669mb and im on a horrific 7mb connection - SLOW!!!

ill let it finish downloading then ill try deleting the one in library - im getting confused now - haha - wait a few minutes and ill report back sir

ps: thanks for the help - im only apple'n since august so im still a mac n00biE

aww bless! beddie time! METAL HAS NO SLEEP!!!!

anywho im in dublin, ireland so ill be catching up to your time in an hour - thanks again - night

Nice! Glad I could help!

Night time and bed isn't really something for me. I thought every metal head worked at night?! :headbang: haha...

More Mac for the people! I just hope Steve Jobs and Apple could let go of the "it should be exclusive to own a Mac" thingy, so a poor guy like me could buy a Mac Pro for a reasonable price.