Question for Schecter C7 Blackjack owners

sdmf195

May 29, 2005
Hey all,
I need some help with my baby...

I changed strings on my C7, same gauge as the previous set... and now there's buzzage everywhere! :(

Even unfretted noted buzz for some odd reason.

I recall a few of you kind folks are owners of such a beautiful monster, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance,
Oren

same brand?
changing brand is a world of a difference.
The best for me are Dean Markley "blue steel", don't know if they do a 7th string version of the "blue steel".
Anyway turning counter clockwise the truss rod a little bit (just a little movement) will help.

The stock strings were too little for me, 10-56 in Bb is a fucking joke. If you haven't changed brands or compounds (they ship with GHS steels) try raising the action if you *must* have the same strings - but keep in mind that if you go to heavier strings you won't need to raise it (and the lower action means they won't be significantly harder to play after a little time to get used to them). If that doesn't work go to projectguitar.com and look up the article in Setting Up A Solid Body Electric Guitar for info on the truss rod.

On the heavier strings note, anyone have any luck with finding guitar strings (i.e. not seven dollar bass strings!) above 72 or so? All I've seen was La Bella and I've never been too impressed with those - I'm thinking about just giving up and buying some GHS baritone sets (14-72, I think) from juststrings.com and some extra 11s for the top, but there's got to be a better way to go about doing that.

Jeff

That's still a tad light for me, but thanks. Any idea how much heavier they go? I've been told that Loomis switched to EBs, but his reason for using SITs according to the GW Gigantour interview was that they made a 70, and I'm looking to go a little bigger than that.

Jeff

I do - what's their heaviest string set that won't cost me more than nine bucks?

I did a custom-size SIT set comprised of 10-13-17-26-38-52-68 (as they were out of 70s) and it was (1) ten bucks a set and (2) still not heavy enough. I also would like to know what size strings my Blackjack can actually accomodate (ran into problems with a friend's guitar whose tuning pegs couldn't fit anything past about 65 and I wanted to use it as a baritone) without either killing the pegs or the neck, so if anyone happens to know already it'll save me a huge mess later on.

Also, Guru, who made your custom 7? And while I'm staring at the Smyth forum gear thread, did you happen to check out Ed Roman's deal on OLP upgrades (as I know you live in Vegas)? I've been thinking about one of those myself, if I wind up buying another standard-scale guitar.

Jeff

I'd love to, as soon as I have $42 to spend on anything... there goes two weeks' lunch.

EDIT: I don't see anything larger than 70 in juststrings.com 's bulk...

Jeff

DSS3 said:
D'adarrio makes a 72, 74, and 80.

Just order 12 sets of their bulk strings that you can customize - they actually are D'Adarrio's, and they come out to like 42 bucks for a dozen.

That's absurd. Even a 70 is absurd IMO, unless you're tuning to Ab or lower. I fucking hate the feel of a 70.

70 feels light to me, I'm in Bb and I just play a lot better (tighter and with better sound) with heavier strings. It's the little strings that drive me bonkers, I hate 9s, and 10s in anything lower than standard feel like rubber bands compared to what I like. I prefer big things because I can hit them harder and they won't bounce out of tune, and I can bounce 60s out of tune in B.

Jeff

I use a 10-52 set with a single .064 for Bb. I've found that to be the best combo. D'Addario or DR

JBroll said:
The stock strings were too little for me, 10-56 in Bb is a fucking joke. If you haven't changed brands or compounds (they ship with GHS steels) try raising the action if you *must* have the same strings - but keep in mind that if you go to heavier strings you won't need to raise it (and the lower action means they won't be significantly harder to play after a little time to get used to them). If that doesn't work go to projectguitar.com and look up the article in Setting Up A Solid Body Electric Guitar for info on the truss rod.

On the heavier strings note, anyone have any luck with finding guitar strings (i.e. not seven dollar bass strings!) above 72 or so? All I've seen was La Bella and I've never been too impressed with those - I'm thinking about just giving up and buying some GHS baritone sets (14-72, I think) from juststrings.com and some extra 11s for the top, but there's got to be a better way to go about doing that.

Jeff

UK site but they ship to the US I'm sure.

http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/SINGLE%20STRINGS/ELECTRIC%20WOUND/DADDARIO/

Up to .80 gauge D'Addario's

Thanks for that link - they do ship US, two and a half GBP (which comes out to about sixty two dollars USD) tacked onto those prices, I'll give them a try sooner or later.

Jeff