Question For the Forum -You think most Record Lable bands record 4 Rythym Parts

Dec 16, 2010
Question For the Forum -Do you think (or know that) most Record Label bands record 4 Rythym Guitar Parts (quad track) or just 2?
If I do, what are the panning assignments for each track?

The norm. is Double Tracked rhythms, panned 100% L-R.. if you quad track (4 Rhythm Tracks) 100% and 80% R-L or there about (I use 100% and 75% L-R for quad tracks), but usually Double tracking is my go to way of tracking rhythms.

There are a bunch of good threads about this.

Thats what i have done (just duel tracks panned hard R and L), Paulie, but i've heard quad tracking bandeed about in this forum, and was wondering what the advantages were. Question for you: when you quad track, are the rythym guitar tracks that are closer to the middle at a lesser volume then the tracks that are panned hard L and R? Seems like you would do this to leave room for vocals/solos that are in the middle.

It totally depends on the band and producer/engineer. In my experience double-tracking is more common (it's easier and faster and is generally all that's needed) but quad tracking happens pretty regularly as well.

The trade off is that quad tracking tends to sound bigger/thicker (more of a "wall of sound") but double tracking generally retains more clarity/detail and separation.

The norm. is Double Tracked rhythms, panned 100% L-R..

NO IT IS NOT! because there is no norm!
use your ears. judge if the guitarrists are able to play tight enough for 4 rhythm tracks. hear if the songs need 4 tracks or not. evaluate if you have enough time to record it. just don´t do it because everybody else does it!

I've been recording 4 tracks and using the 75% ish panned ones to control the volume during automating, while leaving the hard panned guitars louder in the mix (with only a little automation). I've been getting good full results like that.

I don't recording 4. only 2.
I don't really see the advantage unless you have nothing but time and you wanna do more work.

Then you aren't paying attention...

-Track 4 rhythm guitars.
-Pan guitars 1 and 2 hard L/R @ 100%.
-Pan guitars 3 and 4 to L/R 80%.
-Keep guitars 3 and 4 at least 3dB to 4dB below guitars 1 and 2 at all times.
-During faster/more technical riffs, mute guitars 3 and 4.
-On mid-paced or slower riffs, mix them in.

Using a 3rd and 4th rhythm track on mid-paced and slower riffs (anything not too fast or "techy") will get noticeable results, I assure you. Even better results if those extra rhythms are just a little more saturated than the main rhythm tracks.

Let's put it this way... your record isn't not going to sell just because you didn't include an extra 2 rhythm guitar layers playing the exact same riffs.

If you have the time/resources/willpower and you feel it will make the record sound larger, then by all means. But looking at it realistically, you're not going to lose anything by dual-tracking.

It really depends on the situation, as stated allready.

Quadtracking imo has the advantage that you can easily mix 2 amps to get a different flavor, but imo the bass gets less important to the mix and some clarity is lost.
Dualtracking is awesome for tight stuff + more power can be given to the bass. mixing differnt amps isnt as easy with only 2 DI's though, if you dont want amp A on one and amp B on the other side.

Personally for my stuff I prefer doubletracking most of the time. I have to say though that it's easier for me to get ampsims sound good with quadtracking than with dualtracking

Let's put it this way... your record isn't not going to sell just because you didn't include an extra 2 rhythm guitar layers playing the exact same riffs.

If you have the time/resources/willpower and you feel it will make the record sound larger, then by all means. But looking at it realistically, you're not going to lose anything by dual-tracking.

This

I just use double tracking for the main rhythm tracks and then put extra rhythm bits on additional tracks (bit grittier/louder). gives a bit more dynamic variation than having quad all the way through.

NO IT IS NOT! because there is no norm!
use your ears. judge if the guitarrists are able to play tight enough for 4 rhythm tracks. hear if the songs need 4 tracks or not. evaluate if you have enough time to record it. just don´t do it because everybody else does it!

I should've said the norm for around here... as "most" people around this forum seem to dual track about 75-80% of the time.

Honestly, I'll triple or quad track choruses to give them some extra oomph..

-P

I don't see why bands on a label wouldn't take the time to quad track (or more) if the music calls for it.

On my current project, there are as many as 6 heavy guitar tracks. It just depends on how thick of a sound one wants.

It totally depends on the band and producer/engineer. In my experience double-tracking is more common (it's easier and faster and is generally all that's needed) but quad tracking happens pretty regularly as well.

The trade off is that quad tracking tends to sound bigger/thicker (more of a "wall of sound") but double tracking generally retains more clarity/detail and separation.

This pretty much sums it up. I've preferred the sound of double tracked guitars over quad tracked guitars quite a few times. I like the extra clarity/separation & punch of dual tracking.... but quad tracking is cool for certain things.

A really cool thing I like to do when writing harmonies during heavy riffing is let the inner guitars play a less dominant note and the outer play that big root. With dual rhythms, those twin leads have an old-school mojo going on, but with 4? Whole new beast right there. Not to mention writing a possible four note chord/harmony. You have to be extremely clever with it of course.

Actually, that just about sums it up. Be clever with it.

Actually I am pretty sure Sturgis does 2 tracks panned L/R 100% and one in the middle turned down a little.