Question To Travis - and also to all the other artists!

Effigy

New Metal Member
Apr 21, 2002
Denmark
www.effigy-design.dk
This question(s) goes out especially to Travis - but also to all of the other Artists involved in designing/illustrating album covers.

How big are the scales when you finish an album cover?

And how do you deliver the final product to the artist/label?
On a CD or mail or...?

What format is the album cover? Cause I've seen Artists using tiff or Bitmap formats.......But, I'm wondering what for ?...why not just JPEG?

Cheers

Scales you mean the sizes?

Anyway, I usually deliver to the printer a 300dpi Tiff file, in RBG, and they get to do the color calibration in CYMK.

How you deliver depends solely on the client, some have an FTP account where I can upload the files, while others want a CD snail mailed to them.

The JPG format compress the image, and due to the interpolation, washes out the colors and screws the definition (just download an image from the internet, and zoom in, youll see its divided in big squares), whilst the Tiff format compress the image keeping most of the original quality.

I usually do the original art at double or triple size and include actual size and large size versions on cd-r by mail because the cd is something i feel safer doing, and i like to inlcude matchprints. i do the cmyk conversion myself as it leaves less room for errors and surprises in the end. everytime you save a file in jpeg it throws out some of the image data to make the file smaller so its tiff all the way for me. you can decide to compress the tiff or not, but either way, there is zero image datat loss witha tiff save.

NP: Opeth: BWP SE Disc 2

Eps is vector based, programs like Illustrator or Freehand and (YUCK) Corel Draw...

The easier way to explain it, take a bmp image and resize it to twice its size, see how the pixels interpolate? most of the "data" on that image its false, if you zoom in you notice the blurr (false data).

If you take a vector based image (eps) and resize it to the infinite it wouldnt lose quality, thats because vectors are matemathical coordinates (dunno if Im making sense...), aditionally EPS files tend to be VERY small compared to their Bitmap counterparts, of course EPS has its limitations as well, you cant take a Photograph and make it an EPS cause this format does not support certain qualities.

I usually use EPS for the Logos, clean line work (such as comic book or conceptual art for my "day" job), and certain Silkscreen printings, such as T-shirts and some other stuff.

Hope that helps, and dont forget to correct me if Im wrong!!

to add or expand on what Travis said, an eps will hold more overall information on color and color profiles than a Tif will, usually making it a larger file size. EPS's are the way to go when importing an image into another layout program such as Quark Xpress. EPS often times will give you options to embed fonts and such where a tiff wont.

photos are usually raster or pixel oriented. Vector based files are different. they use anchor points instead of pixels. Think of it like this. you take a board and hammer in 4 nails in the shape of a square. then put a rubber band around those nails in order to "draw" the square. Thats basically what vector files are. the anchor points act as the nails and the lines connecting the anchor points is the rubber band. this is what makes loss of quality not an issue in vector based programs.