Question: why so many lackluster releases?

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
I was thinking the other day about why there seem to be so many lackluster albums out there. People always say the 80's had so many classic albums and stuff out.

My question is that do you think back then because more bands seemed to focus on putting out a strong release and played the songs live a lot more and fine tuned them before recording or is it because now so many new younger bands just rush in and record after they think they have 5 or 6 ready songs that may not be fine tuned as of yet just to get out a release?

I know everyone will have different opinions on this. Curious to see what people have to say.

Also....do you think some bands who have been around rush into this as well with new releases and release albums just to make a certain scheduele?
How many bands that you listen to released stuff which seems like half filler material?

Without attempting to come at this from every angle, I'd like to point to the fact that I now hear new releases in the context of years (and for some of us), decades of hearing this stuff played. We're so used to a certain set of musical motifs, ideas, and concepts that it's impossible to get so excited at hearing another variation of them yet again - even if this particular variation is pretty good. As a younger listener, there have been times when I got really excited at hearing a contemporary metal album, and then found that old schoolers think it's just ho hum. They were coming at it from a perspective of having heard many similar albums in the past, which I hadn't yet encountered.

This is seriously one of the easiest questions asked in a VERY long time........

Whether you like it or not, the album format is D-E-A-D!
Sure, bands will still release them, but you simply do not need a full length to make waves.
So many bands are releasing digital only EPs these days, or even full lengths.
It also seems like many bands are around a few years before even worrying about creating an "album"

Also, albums cost a LOT of money to make, obviously.
Couple that fact with constant decrease of the physical medium and you have less labels wanting to sign new bands.

Finally, many labels these days just put out music.
In other words, bands aren't getting 10,000 grand from a label to go into the studio for a week.
When many labels say they will sign you, it basically means give us your final product, we will stamp our label on it, and help distribute it.

So yes, in the end, thanks to modern technology, everyone's laptop can be turned into a "home studio" which may be more than sufficient given the professional level of the band.

There's a reason why debut albums from all our fav bands from the 80s sound good.
A lot more time and $$$$$ were put into them which were largely funded by the label.

album format isnt dead. So basically you are saying there are no albums coming out?

Sure most are being sold digital but you didnt get what I was talking about. I am talking about quality of song writing and just solid albums in general that you can listen to over and over. It seems most bands now just write 2 really good songs and the rest are filler and they send it out and go on with the cycle again.

Ok, reread my ENTIRE post.
I figured you would stop the second I hit your nerve with the album format is dead.
Seriously, reread the entire post.....

What you refer to as songwriting is also attributable to production.
Most younger bands today are paying for their own recordings and post production.

These aren't the days where a young and hungry Brian Slagel were flying bands to the West Coast to record for Metal Blade.
Same can be said for Johnny Z at Megaforce......

There's a reason why debuts from everyone from Metallica to Anthrax to Omen to Trouble and beyond have professional sounding debut albums.

I mean, I think overall there are still a lot of great full length albums coming out, even from some younger bands.
I just think people will always hold the original bands and albums as "classics" no matter how good or not anything that followed sounds.

look at the amount of stuff out now on EP and LP. Just go through distro list and look at the stuff that has been sitting there for years. There is an over abundance of material just rushed out. Like most stuff it will sell good for a bit then drop off and sit forever on shelves and storage units. Even with the digital age now there is just going to be so many files and stuff filling up hard drives of music people will just gather to have it but they will still always just go back to the good stuff.

I wouuld rather see a band put out quality releases ever 4 years than put out 4 albums in 4 years with 2 good songs on each one.

I wouuld rather see a band put out quality releases ever 4 years than put out 4 albums in 4 years with 2 good songs on each one.

Me too, but I don't think that is unique to this era. There were a ton of singles, EPs and indie releases in the '80s that frankly just weren't that good. We just tend to overlook that in our nostalgia.

It seems to me that bands these days put very little effort into their music. Maybe they think that only a few thousand people at most will be into them anyway, so why bother trying harder. In fact, trying to be original in some way may alienate some of those potential fans.

As for experienced bands, it seems like they usually run out of ideas after the third album. I don't know why that is.

Bob asked "How many bands that you listen to released stuff which seems like half filler material?" I sure don't. If an album has a lot of filler, I get rid of it. I try to avoid buying albums like that in the first place. Now almost every time I listen to an album, it's great. No more "this is pretty good." I enjoy music a lot more since I adopted this demanding policy.

This is seriously one of the easiest questions asked in a VERY long time........

Whether you like it or not, the album format is D-E-A-D!
Sure, bands will still release them, but you simply do not need a full length to make waves.
So many bands are releasing digital only EPs these days, or even full lengths.
It also seems like many bands are around a few years before even worrying about creating an "album"

Also, albums cost a LOT of money to make, obviously.
Couple that fact with constant decrease of the physical medium and you have less labels wanting to sign new bands.

Finally, many labels these days just put out music.
In other words, bands aren't getting 10,000 grand from a label to go into the studio for a week.
When many labels say they will sign you, it basically means give us your final product, we will stamp our label on it, and help distribute it.

So yes, in the end, thanks to modern technology, everyone's laptop can be turned into a "home studio" which may be more than sufficient given the professional level of the band.

There's a reason why debut albums from all our fav bands from the 80s sound good.
A lot more time and $$$$$ were put into them which were largely funded by the label.

Sorry Jason, but this is 100% wrong.
The album format might be dead for mainstream rock radio, but for musicians and music fans, it is FAR from dead. I honestly don't even understand how you, as an underground music fan, can even think this.

You say so many bands are releasing digital-only EPs -- but I can think of maybe two or three that have come out this year.

Bands being around for years before creating an 'album' is nothing new. You're always so quick to let me and Simon and anyone else under the age of 30 know that you've been around and seen it all and done it all -- but have you forgotten the days of demo -> EP -> album? Spending a few years before releasing a full-length will always be an option. If anything, people are too quick to rush into a full length these days.

An album costs a lot of money to make, but it's significantly less than in the past.

Similarly, I wouldn't say there are less labels wanting to sign new bands. If anything, there are more labels now than there were 25 years ago, and all are signing new bands.

I'd agree with most of your points if you were talking about mainstream/pop-rock, but given that this is a board geared towards underground metal and topic was clearly about metal.....I imagine that's what you were talking about too!

I am talking more about song writing skills. It seems there is a lack of it more now that before. Look how many bands cant write hooks or even a catchy chorus for a song.

Yeah, but there were plenty of bands back then who couldn't write hooks or a catchy chorus, either. The difference is now, there are literally thousands more releases per year than there were back in the 80's, but the good-bad quality ratio hasn't stayed even. So while you had a decent percentage of good compared to a big amount of bad back then, you have decent percentage of good compared to a HUGE amount of bad now. It's just a numbers game.

It seems to me that bands these days put very little effort into their music. Maybe they think that only a few thousand people at most will be into them anyway, so why bother trying harder. In fact, trying to be original in some way may alienate some of those potential fans.

As for experienced bands, it seems like they usually run out of ideas after the third album. I don't know why that is.

Bob asked "How many bands that you listen to released stuff which seems like half filler material?" I sure don't. If an album has a lot of filler, I get rid of it. I try to avoid buying albums like that in the first place. Now almost every time I listen to an album, it's great. No more "this is pretty good." I enjoy music a lot more since I adopted this demanding policy.

Band releases original, different album ---> "wow this is gay"
Band releases similar sounding album ---> "wow this is so boring and derivative"

You just can't win....

Yeah, but there were plenty of bands back then who couldn't write hooks or a catchy chorus, either. The difference is now, there are literally thousands more releases per year than there were back in the 80's, but the good-bad quality ratio hasn't stayed even. So while you had a decent percentage of good compared to a big amount of bad back then, you have decent percentage of good compared to a HUGE amount of bad now. It's just a numbers game.

very true. for a guy under 30......I kid.

Sorry Jason, but this is 100% wrong.
The album format might be dead for mainstream rock radio, but for musicians and music fans, it is FAR from dead. I honestly don't even understand how you, as an underground music fan, can even think this.

Go ask your favorite "underground" band, and I don't mean one on Century Media or Nuc Blast or Metal Blade for example, if they were given $10,000 or more to record their latest album.......

Just like Bob, you did not read my entire post.

Mike Mendyk complained about Diamond Plate as he doesn't like their new sound. The song writing is exactly the same. The overall production is not.

What is different you say? The band spent weeks in the studio with an engineer on EARACHE'S dime.

Bob - I know what you are saying about songwriting.
I don't know what to say other than I don't know how original a traditional metal band can really be in 2012. I mean, if a band does stay true to the traditional metal or doom sound they are slammed as hipsters trying to be retro.

As someone said before....you can't win...........

I am not talking about the style. I am writing about just quality of songs and releases. Not in being retro...you can be retro and doing an old style but being able to write catchy songs is another. You never hear about boring albums lasting through the decades.....usually those go away.

I am talking about lots of newer younger bands who rush into it and release stuff quickly and not concentrate on substance of the song and just write a bunch of garbage and release it.

Go ask your favorite "underground" band, and I don't mean one on Century Media or Nuc Blast or Metal Blade for example, if they were given $10,000 or more to record their latest album.......

Just like Bob, you did not read my entire post.

Mike Mendyk complained about Diamond Plate as he doesn't like their new sound. The song writing is exactly the same. The overall production is not.

What is different you say? The band spent weeks in the studio with an engineer on EARACHE'S dime.

Bob - I know what you are saying about songwriting.
I don't know what to say other than I don't know how original a traditional metal band can really be in 2012. I mean, if a band does stay true to the traditional metal or doom sound they are slammed as hipsters trying to be retro.

As someone said before....you can't win...........

So in order for albums to be relevant (that is -- the opposite of 'dead' -- to call them 'living' is just weird) -- bands have to receive $10,000 consistently to record them? What???
I take it that since these same bands are not receiving, say, $5000 to record an EP, that it's safe to call EPs a dead format too.
And they're certainly not receiving $1000 to record SONGS. Let's just call songs a dead format, too.
Music is dead! RIP Metal!
It's pretty clear that I read your whole post given that I responded to nearly ever point you made. I just disagreed with the entire thing.

What does Diamond Plate have to do with any of this?

I think Jason is reading this thread all wrong. I was talking about the quality of music / song writing and bands rushing into things before writing quality songs. he seems to think we are talking about albums being dead and stuff.