Questions about for EMG Het Set users.

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
I'm thinking about dropping a set on my Ibanez RGA Prestige. I'm pretty happy with the 81/60 combo in there right now, but I wouldn't mind trying some other stuff out. They're not very cheap compared to other EMG's, though, so I'd like to know a few things before buying.

I've watched Lasse's comparison videos, but I've still got a few specific doubts, particularly about the bridge model.

How much hotter are they compared to the 81/60? I've read they're hotter, but I'm wondering, if they are hotter, is their preamp clipping a whole lot more?

I can tell there is a bit more low-end than the standard 81/60 combo... how much more low-end? Do they get as low-endy as an 85? Are they bigger in the low-end department compared to the 57 or kind of around the same level?

How does the finish hold up? I've read the finish is pretty fragile and wears pretty easily, but I've also read that's a problem they addressed now.

Thank you.

:)

Yup... plus gathering more people's opinions and experiences seems prudent too. :D

I'm not Ronnie, though. :p

I'm loving them (so is Andy btw)...
not really much bigger low eng, but chunkier/throatier low mids, just sounds a bit "juicier" than the 81 but is still tight as fuck...

Lasse! So how does the preamp respond to the higher output? Have they got a preamp like the standard series where there's some clipping/grit or are they like the X series?

:)

My guitarist put a Het set in his Gibson LP studio. They sound brighter to my ears than the 81/85 combo.