EMG Het Set

I don't use the neck position in my guitars, no need when it's always a heavy dose of str8 riff salad.

42576b7b-5d2f-2949.jpg

I had a Jh set in a les paul and went back to the 81/85 combo. I feel that the jh bridge pickup has bloated lower mids. too passive sounding for me. The only thing it retains from the 81 is the sweet highs, but the mids beg for your attention with this one. I really wanted to like this set but all it did was confirm my love for the 81.

Well, The reason I wanted to try this is because the alder bodies rhoads was TOO tight sounding...
I can totally see how the low mids could be too much in a les paul though

Well, The reason I wanted to try this is because the alder bodies rhoads was TOO tight sounding...
I can totally see how the low mids could be too much in a les paul though

u think the rhoads is tight? :yow:

i think it sits perfect in a mix.

for the rhoads i like the seymour duncan blackout 2 pickup, its so ballsy, nothing compares, its a one trick pony, but like the 6505 amp, what a trick!

only good for tracking duties, but the added benefit is that you need no TS and the gain no so high on the amp which translates to low noise.

im a live player and use my guitars live, with the Het Set mind you, but could i have a studio guitar, it would have SD blackout 2, just for rythm. studio owners so try it if they havent.

back on topic, the het set is great, its an improvement over the standard emg imo, its just an added dimension to a classic, its not for everyone, but nothing is :)

sorry for the long ramble.

Here`s how mine look right now, phone images, but you get the vibe, i think they look great in my black KV2, don`t you?

How this guitar sounds through the rig you see on the pictures :

IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's not really a Rhoads, it's the ESP equivalent, the SV.
ESP guitars are usually quite a bit tighter than Jacksons IME, I believe it's because of the position of the bridge pickups, which on average is a bit closer to the bridge than it is on Jacksons

here's mine:

SV.JPG

Srry for the bad cellphone pic

Well, it's not really a Rhoads, it's the ESP equivalent, the SV.
ESP guitars are usually quite a bit tighter than Jacksons IME, I believe it's because of the position of the bridge pickups, which on average is a bit closer to the bridge than it is on Jacksons

Oh its an ESP.

then i agree, ESP`s are alot tighter, for better or worse.
having owned 5 ESP`s in various body styles including the SV i still prefer Jackson guitars for sound and playability, it just feels and looks like a weapon like no other guitars.

I like them both, I own several Jackson USA as well as ESP...
If I had to generalize I'd say that the ESPs have a "smoother" gain structure, and the Jacksons a bit more "grain".
Which leads to the ESPs being the better guits for modern metal rhythms and te Jacksons the better guitars for slightly dirtier rock and metal tones and singing leads.
Really livin them both equally much (talking about ESP and USA jacksons here, don't like the Japanese jacksons).

Anyone has experience with both the Het Set and SD Blackouts and can compare?

I don't really know how accurate this statement is, but the bridge pickup on the Het Set comes out, from listening to clips and reading descriptions, as something like the 81, but hotter, with extended highs and lows, and with added low-mid content... sorta like what the first clips/reviews of the blackouts suggest as well.

So... are they somewhat close?

Anyone has experience with both the Het Set and SD Blackouts and can compare?

I don't really know how accurate this statement is, but the bridge pickup on the Het Set comes out, from listening to clips and reading descriptions, as something like the 81, but hotter, with extended highs and lows, and with added low-mid content... sorta like what the first clips/reviews of the blackouts suggest as well.

So... are they somewhat close?

Having owned both, i would say the blackouts are darker, cleaner and more boring sounding for lack of better words, it may make the mix cleaner than the Het`s but personally i want dirt, i like old mixes from the 80`s and 90`s and i think the extra crisp in the Het pickups compliment that.

Blackouts bored me from the first day i had them installed, im talking about the AHB-1 model set in 6-string version.

i allways get new metal style pickups when they come out, just to try them out, so far the Het Set and the blackout 2`s are the one`s for me, hot pickups with alot of attitude.

Blackout vs Het Set, Blackout sound more modern, Het more old school :)