Questions for College DJ's

Feb 11, 2002
TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA
WVUA in Alabama (where i do my metal show) just lost servicing because we can no longer afford to report to CMJ (College Music Journal) I'm curious if this is happening to other dj's.

Hmm, good question. I think we (WREKage) are still reporting, but Brian/DCowboys311 handles that as the 'official' student host.

Seems like everyone's switching over to lousy digital/online servicing nowadays anyway, which makes the occasional promo CD we get in the mail all the more special.

We still report to CMJ so I don't know if we'd lose servicing or not. I think even if we did stop we'd still get stuff in just because we're a large station in a major market.

Digital servicing sucks but I can totally understand why they do it.

Digital servicing sucks but I can totally understand why they do it.

Oh, absolutely. From a financial standpoint it's a no-brainer, but there's nothing quite like having a brand-new promo in your hand, looking at the cheesy artwork or over-gushy praiseful 'review,' and saying "THIS needs to be microwaved immediately!" :lol:

Wait, between the thread and the petition, I'm seeing two different stories here.

What's going on?

I'll take a stab at this.

The petition has to do with problems with Dave's college radio show in Alabama, where apparently a putsch of sorts is happening that might imperil their metal show. (Or maybe Dave's longtime involvement with same; I'm not clear on that m'self.)

This thread has to do with how -- and whether -- college radio stations and metal shows report their airplays and song "adds" to industry trade journals like CMJ. This is important to labels, who are more likely to send promo CDs (or a link to a promotional download) to stations that are actively reporting spins and adds.

I mean... not to be a dick... but when the comments are (in chronological order):

Well, since WVUA is broke and cant afford to report to CMJ anymore. I have officially lost servicing on new records. Fuck all you suit and tie guys at the UA!
I suggest we vote on a new Faculty Advisor. That, meaning me. I care about this station, Terry doesnt have time for it. Put me in coach, i'll show you how it's done!
THIS GROUP IS PROTECTED BY THE FIRST AMMENDMENT. IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT IS BEING SAID. CLICK OVER AND PLAY YOUR LITTLE ZYNGA GAMES

I can kinda see why. 16 years of history or not, it's biting the hand that feeds you any way you cut it...especially with how much bullshit politics universities get themselves worked up over.

This is a public facebook page that anyone can view and I would have done the same thing in that person's position. There's no excuse for that kind of bad PR.

Btw, because that facebook group is public, everyone posting on your petition page has put their name, address and phone number (with links to their facebook page and a wealth of other information) out on the internet. http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=33771593275&topic=11046

*sigh*
Edit: First Amendment rights do not apply on private property, which Facebook's site very much is (meaning only Facebook has the power to censor, yes). But since you're so free to misunderstand it, you should at least extend the same courtesy to those whose opinions are not contrary to your own. I think perhaps anyone's attempts at requesting the comments be taken down are a nudge in the direction of fixing what should be obvious to be a bad decision at a time when you felt passionately about something heinously sucking.

Edit 2: Please don't hate me for this but the wording of the petition even bothers me in light of this
Against all sense and common decency, Dave the Metal Guy, 16 year veteran DJ of the 27 year old Metal Zone, was fired from WVUA by a 19 year old "station manager," a girl with no musical or industry education and no ties to the community. She wants to homogenize WVUA with the station she listens to in her home town in Georgia and has been targeting Dave since day one. She found a spurious excuse in a comment on The Metal Zone's Facebook and has drummed it into a hanging. The faculty adviser has decided that the whims of a temporary "manager" are worth more than what Dave The Metal Guy means to this community and the WVUA experience. And this is all being done over Christmas break, to keep things quiet. That's right, they took away his show on Christmas.
It is up to us to show them that we will not be bleached out and we will not sit quietly by while one of our own is persecuted. We must either change Terry Siggers' mind or convince those above his head to see reason. The Board of Directors needs to understand that The Metal Zone represents a sense of history and identity - we should be proud that this show has the history and carries the weight it does. Without the Zone, what possible accolades does the station have? And what about our rights to free speech? Help save the Metal Zone! Please help us to show them what The Metal Zone means to Music, Tuscaloosa, the University, and YOU!

I mean, it's "Save The Metal Zone", right? Yes, the show is important to the community and 27 years old but you have stuck your foot in your mouth pretty badly. Based on the wording and the situation, I would guess unrectifiably so. I mean, if you really want to save the show, it might be better to make the case to them to continue with a replacement DJ.

I mean... not to be a dick... but when the comments are (in chronological order): I can kinda see why. 16 years of history or not, it's biting the hand that feeds you any way you cut it...especially with how much bullshit politics universities get themselves worked up over. This is a public facebook page that anyone can view and I would have done the same thing in that person's position. There's no excuse for that kind of bad PR. Btw, because that facebook group is public, everyone posting on your petition page has put their name, address and phone number (with links to their facebook page and a wealth of other information) out on the internet. http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=33771593275&topic=11046 *sigh* Edit: First Amendment rights do not apply on private property, which Facebook's site very much is (meaning only Facebook has the power to censor, yes). But since you're so free to misunderstand it, you should at least extend the same courtesy to those whose opinions are not contrary to your own. I think perhaps anyone's attempts at requesting the comments be taken down are a nudge in the direction of fixing what should be obvious to be a bad decision at a time when you felt passionately about something heinously sucking. Edit 2: Please don't hate me for this but the wording of the petition even bothers me in light of this I mean, it's "Save The Metal Zone", right? Yes, the show is important to the community and 27 years old but you have stuck your foot in your mouth pretty badly. Based on the wording and the situation, I would guess unrectifiably so. I mean, if you really want to save the show, it might be better to make the case to them to continue with a replacement DJ.

Making quite a few assumptions about a situation you probably don't know alot about. Any university that doesn't reign in these little power junkie kids, and merely puts them in a "sink or swim" management situation, is going to do little more than turn out a bunch of corporate pricks... not exactly what we need in the business world... and goes a long way in explaining why the U.S. is finding competition difficult in the global market of today. Each situation demands a thorough, open minded review... and in this case, Metal Dave was merely voicing his frustration over a long running series of (mis) management decisions over the years. At one point a couple years back, another of those little idiots put in charge, was almost successful in changing all or most music at that station to rap. So what would be your answer to those type situations? All I'm saying is, putting kids in charge of a station is wrong, and you yourself are coming across as the same type of hard nosed corporate prick as WVUA is currently under seige by.

Sniveling "corporate prick" college kids or not, there's only one response to somebody who answers to you telling you (or the people you answer to) to fuck yourself in public: "You're fired!"

If you don't agree with me, try it with your boss sometime. I frankly don't care what the situation with who is in charge and how dumb they are. That's life!

But to see posts about signing a petition not communicating the full details of what went down is disingenuous. So far I've seen comments from two or three people on this board who were, while supportive, not quite sure what went down. When I looked at the Facebook page and the status updates I quoted, all I could think of was how I would feel if I were in the other person's shoes. I can't in good conscience sign the petition nor can i accept seeing it advertised. We're all of such a myopic perspective here (metal vs !metal) that it's fairly easy to manipulate people to support causes we might care about without having the facts.

I think if anyone else were to put themselves in the other person's shoes here and can't see taking the same course of action, they're delusional.

It's not being a "hard nosed corporate prick". It's being an adult.
Edit: And as far as second chances go, those comes AFTER apologies. (Even if in all likelihood the show was killed for other reasons as well...)

All I'm saying is, putting kids in charge of a station is wrong, and you yourself are coming across as the same type of hard nosed corporate prick as WVUA is currently under seige by.

Really???
It is?

Well shit, I guess I better let the exec staff of the college station I work at (and I'm the business manager) that we're all doing it wrong.

wow...dudes...everyone of you are right in your own way. this snot nosed little bitch is deciding what people listen to by her own tastes! seriously, nickelback on a college radio station? i heard it today! i'm so gone from this station. i cant even discuss the color of orange juice with her! it was a fabulous time, but fab times have to end sometime...thanks for all your comments

wow...dudes...everyone of you are right in your own way. this snot nosed little bitch is deciding what people listen to by her own tastes! seriously, nickelback on a college radio station? i heard it today! i'm so gone from this station. i cant even discuss the color of orange juice with her! it was a fabulous time, but fab times have to end sometime...thanks for all your comments

Hmm, if the college station begins playing a lot of mainstream artists, won't they have to pony up more dough to ASCAP and BMI?

As I hazily recall, college stations get a break from paying full commercial licensing fees because they tend to play the very fringes of popular music, or indeed non-popular 'music' ("1980s Line Printer").....and also because they're noncommercial. If they begin playing more commercial artists, but without the annoyance of commercial breaks, that could infringe on commercial radio territory.

Sniveling "corporate prick" college kids or not, there's only one response to somebody who answers to you telling you (or the people you answer to) to fuck yourself in public: "You're fired!" If you don't agree with me, try it with your boss sometime. I frankly don't care what the situation with who is in charge and how dumb they are. That's life!
But to see posts about signing a petition not communicating the full details of what went down is disingenuous. So far I've seen comments from two or three people on this board who were, while supportive, not quite sure what went down. When I looked at the Facebook page and the status updates I quoted, all I could think of was how I would feel if I were in the other person's shoes. I can't in good conscience sign the petition nor can i accept seeing it advertised. We're all of such a myopic perspective here (metal vs !metal) that it's fairly easy to manipulate people to support causes we might care about without having the facts. I think if anyone else were to put themselves in the other person's shoes here and can't see taking the same course of action, they're delusional. It's not being a "hard nosed corporate prick". It's being an adult. Edit: And as far as second chances go, those comes AFTER apologies. (Even if in all likelihood the show was killed for other reasons as well...)

Apologize for what? Getting fed up with bullshit little morons being put in charge of a college station and making stupid decisions based on their biased look at what should be played on them? Ha that's a laugh. If you're FOR metal, you need to sign the petition. Otherwise, you and your "good conscience" take a hike.

still, please sign my petition...i still want to bring it to their attention that what they are doing is WRONG!

The petition is still up! i STILL want to bring it to the attention of WVUA and it's faculty membershttp://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/savethemetalzone

Apologize for what? Getting fed up with bullshit little morons being put in charge of a college station and making stupid decisions based on their biased look at what should be played on them? Ha that's a laugh. If you're FOR metal, you need to sign the petition. Otherwise, you and your "good conscience" take a hike.

I am for metal, but I also understand two things:

1) She is the boss. Whether you can discuss the color of orange juice of not, that 19 year old is in charge.

2) Dave is not even a student there anymore. I think this was a major reason he was being targeted. There is a belief by many in College Radio that College Radio is there to teach students how it is done, and give them a platform to learn. So, she must have been asking herself "Why is this 30-something guy who is no longer a student on a STUDENT-run station?"

All Dave did in his rants was give her the excuse to can him for insubordination. Apparently, the Administration agreed.

If I am wrong, please tell me. However, this is how I see it.

WVUA in Alabama (where i do my metal show) just lost servicing because we can no longer afford to report to CMJ (College Music Journal) I'm curious if this is happening to other dj's.

Tuscaloosa? Hah, I used to do the metal show at WEGL in Auburn! Small world. Sorry to hear about your situation.

If you're FOR metal, you need to sign the petition. Otherwise, you and your "good conscience" take a hike.

I think this is the most ignorant statement I've read in years.

Years.

Edit: This statement is why the stereotype-embodying metalhead is still on the fringes of society, deserving of all the mockery they get.

it's a faculty/staff, student, alumni run radio station fyi. i was targeted because i told them that a college station had no business playing stuff that is played on every other radio station. plus in 6 feet 5 inches of metal and that scared her//hahaa
it's over now. she got her way. the station sounds like shit. the end